Computer Science at King's, what should I look at? Watch

User_4467
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I will start my course on Computer Science at KCL this september as an international student and I wanted to review some aspects of the course this summer. Any suggestions? Java? C++? or another think? Thank you!
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help

Acsel I know you said you do computer science - might not be at this uni but do you have any advice for someone starting a course? :holmes:
Acsel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help

Acsel I know you said you do computer science - might not be at this uni but do you have any advice for someone starting a course? :holmes:
I actually do Forensic Computing Puddles but close enough. I don't mind being tagged in

(Original post by User_4467)
Hi, I will start my course on Computer Science at KCL this september as an international student and I wanted to review some aspects of the course this summer. Any suggestions? Java? C++? or another think? Thank you!
As Puddles says, I'm not at KCL so I can't really comment on what the uni would like. However their unit list can be found on their website and based on that the things I'd look into are:
Programming: Python if you don't have any experience, Java if you do. Not sure if either language are used but they tend to be the popular ones. Nothing wrong with C++ either. To an extent that also covers some data structure stuff
Databases: I assume SQL stuff, so look into database creation and management and be familiar with using SQL commands.
Foundations of Computing and Computer Systems are really ambiguous names but off the top of my head things it could cover include:
Binary
Computer Architecture
Networking
Hardware Components

The optional units are a bit more self explanatory for what you could look into.

Beyond that though, you'll need someone at KCL to give more useful advice. I'd say programming based on your level, basic networking, databases/SQL and computer architecture would be the main things to cover.
Bobjim12
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
first years are taught Java, so take a look at that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (53)
25.6%
No (154)
74.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed