I’m 16 and want to move out but my mum won’t let me

Watch
emmmmmooooo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m soon 17 and I want to move out and live with my partner who is 18 but my mum won’t let me move out, how do i tell her im going to be safe?
ThomH97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Stay at home, unless your mum is abusive. Why do you want to move in with your partner so badly?
YaliaV
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You probably think she's being a cow, but she has your interests at heart. What's the rush? Finish your education and wait for another year. The likelihood is that you won't be with your boyfriend then.

Do you realize how difficult the real world is? Take all of the financial and emotional support you can get from your mum, as you'll get a shock once you move out.
zebraguy 20
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am on your mother's side.
ShyPhilosopher
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I completely agree with the 2 previous comments. If you don't feel safe living at home, by all means get yourself to a better place. You're 17, so you can move out without your mum's permission. It sounds like your mum is looking out for your best interests though.

Unless you already have a decent, reliable income, it is incredibly tough to set yourself up in your own place. It's not impossible, but it's certainly tougher than it was a decade ago. That's why lots of graduates are moving back in with their parents for a couple of years after getting their degree. It gives them a chance to build up some savings, so they have that security when going it alone.

If you still want to leave home, your best bet is to show your mum you have a plan for how you are going to cope, especially financially. She'll see that it is a mature & responsible approach you are taking, not just a rash decision because you want to live with your partner. Good luck!
emmmmmooooo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
My father is abusive and I really don’t feel happy living with my mum. We are constantly arguing and so are me and my sisters. I have no space in the house to do my own thing. When I start college i want to focus on my studies and living at my mums house that would be impossible as I don’t have my own space and it is extremely loud.
Abcdefghijk123
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by emmmmmooooo)
I’m soon 17 and I want to move out and live with my partner who is 18 but my mum won’t let me move out, how do i tell her im going to be safe?
Are you moving in with your partner and their parents? Or does your partner have their own place?
username4124442
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
do you have any relatives that you are close with
karl pilkington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How are you gonna support yourself financially also is part of the reason you wanna move out so you can have more sex with your partner.
anonymous69gcse
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
im going to tell my parents to back to their home country. they are getting in my way and i need to sort out some business. ideally before im 17.
username4180494
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by emmmmmooooo)
To be honest you're far too young. in the eyes of your mother and the law. You're still a child, whilst it's nice you want independence away from your parents.

However the downside, you're going to have to work hard to pay the rent with your boyfriend, and at your age there is no guarantee a year or so down the line you'll be still together.

Focus on career and job yet before thinking about such a move.... I still think you're still too young.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
17 is far too young to move in with a partner. Do you know how to run a house? How will you sustain yourself financially?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (256)
33.82%
No (501)
66.18%

Watched Threads