UCL's Biochemcial Engineering VS Imperial's Chemical Engineering w/ Biotechnology Watch

Alex_U
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am currently finishing my bachelors degree in Biotechnology and will now be deciding which program to choose. My favorite and most successful courses during my study were (bio)chemical engineering/ (bio)process engineering courses and therefore Id like to continue study in this field of science for my Masters. I recently got the offer for UCL's MSc in Biochemcial Engineering and Imperial's Chemical Engineering w/ Biotechnology.

So I would like to know whether someone has experience with either one of the two programs or even can compare the two.
Which of the school is more suitable/better reputation/provides better job perspective in the field of biochemical engineering?

As far as I understand is the program at Imperial more about regular chemical engineering with additional biotech (and business) subjects, while the UCL's program is solely about biochemical engineering. However, I am unable to make a proper decision because UCL has a very large specialized biochemical engineering department but Imperial is generally more prestigious (?) and more flexible with course selection.
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help
Alex_U
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help
Thanks!
JackofHearts
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello, I was in a similar situation to you with offers for both courses aswell! In the end I chose Imperial over UCL over the far higher reputation of the engineering department when comparing the 2 institutions. To my knowledge, engineering graduates from Imperial are one of the most sought out graduates in the country with Imperial having the best graduate prospects overall in the UK. With regards to your final question, you take 8 modules:
These being core:

• Advanced Bioprocess Engineering
  • Advanced Process Design
  • Biochemical Engineering
  • Modelling of Biological Systems

and these being optional:

• Advanced Environmental Engineering
  • Advanced Process Operations
  • Advanced Process Optimisation I
  • Carbon Capture and Clean Fossil Fuels
  • Colloid and Interface Science
  • Dynamic Behaviour in Process Systems
  • Finance and Financial Management
  • Fluid Mechanics
  • Introduction to Nuclear Energy
  • Managing Innovation
  • Membrane Science and Membrane Separation Processes
  • Molecular Modelling of Fluids
  • Nuclear Chemical Engineering
  • Particle Engineering
  • Pharmaceutical Process Development
  • Process Heat Transfer
  • Product Characterisation
  • Project Management
  • Reaction Engineering 2
  • Strategic Management
  • Strategic Management
  • Transport Processes in Biological Systems

There are detailed information on each module if you'd want more information on them.
Hope that helps

tajmck123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
how long did imperial take to give you both offers? I've applied for chem eng w/ biotechnology and very nervous about getting an offer
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (171)
24.39%
Pop (174)
24.82%
Jazz (28)