The Student Room Group

Actuarial Science or Computing & IT

I'm 31 now, working as a projects officer for a well-established company in my local area. I enjoy a good salary and good perks but I think I've reached a career ceilling here. I thought about making a move towards project management (delivery side) but my BA in Media just doesn't stack up for these type of jobs (employers want science grads.)

Also, in terms of personal preference - the longer I am immersed in the 'real world' of work I realise my former inclining towards humanities was misplaced. I find working with people by and large confusing, with unclear directives, ego-driven meetings and issues swept under the carpet. It is all relationships based and subjective.

I really enjoy working with systems and technology. I took a course this spring in CS and I was absolutely ecstatic about the material (challenging but made me feel stimulated and alive), I adored programming and thought myself the basis of C++. Even the people I met on the course were very easy to talk to and get on with for me.

I have been thinking of starting a BSc in ComSci at the Open Uni. I could do a conversion masters but as it is delivered on campus it would be difficult to fit around my lifestyle - plus I don't want to take any "shortcuts" anymore. I have done in the past and found that they come back to bite you.

My worry with CS is that I'd be 35 on graduation, so pretty late to enter the profession as a developer for instance. Also, it is not a protected profession with entry barriers so the rationale for doing the degree also diminishes. In addition, I think this field doesn't "age well" - meaning a 50-year-old developer will likely get fewer job offers and respect than a fresh grad with 2-3 years commercial experience. Also, where would I peak financially - perhaps at £40k if lucky which not much more to what I'm on now.

Then there is the Actuary path. I've been solving actuarial problems online and I'd love to do that for a living. It is a proper profession with barriers to entry, where one can expect a decent salary that growth in line with experience and a good standard of living. I'd start a BSc in Maths & Stats to gain exemptions and then try to secure a training contract. The thing is, my A-levels are not that good and realistically my uni won't be red-brick. Is there even any point in trying? Is there a level of snobbery at the entry point- it does seem like the firms want Oxbridge maths grads.

Overall for my career - I'd be very happy just sitting in the back room crunching data or coding/devising systems uninterrupted for hours - I would, however, like to get a decent career out of it if possible.

I have currently reached an analysis paralysis on this issue - I have been researching, analysing and weighing the options for months. Hence my question and plea for advice...

In short - what's the typical profile of an actuary trainee? Is a developer in their 50s pretty much seen as useless?

I would be grateful for your input.
Reply 1
I just wanted to say I am by no means looking for a high flying career in London, or at one of the Big4 - just a well paid, local job enabling me to analyse data, solve problems and learn.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending