The Student Room Group

Failed degree full-time offer.

Hi,

I am doing an internship in a big company, I am 100% confident I will get the return offer.

However, I failed my degree. Do you think it will be an issue when they give me the offer?
Original post by Kangaroo_b
Hi,

I am doing an internship in a big company, I am 100% confident I will get the return offer.

However, I failed my degree. Do you think it will be an issue when they give me the offer?

You failed it completely? No resits?

I imagine it would be an issue if they interned you as a graduate. the only people who can tell you are the company. Their choice. they might like you enough to take you for something else.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
You failed it completely? No resits?

I imagine it would be an issue if they interned you as a graduate. the only people who can tell you are the company. Their choice. they might like you enough to take you for something else.

Thanks for your answer.

Yes I totally failed. Did not do very well this year and I don't want to resit it.

Do you know if companies check for the degree/certificate/transcripts when they give a full time offer?
It’ll depend on whether having a degree was a job requirement. I’ve had to show my degree certificate for a couple of jobs.

If it wasn’t a requirement then they quite possibly won’t check. I guess you’ll have applied saying your degree was results pending or something similar so no actual deception involved. But i definitely wouldn’t try and pretend you’ve got a degree if the job offer is conditional on having one.

How come you’re not resitting? Seems strange to get so close to graduation and not
Thanks for your answer.

Yes I totally failed. Did not do very well this year and I don't want to resit it.

Do you know if companies check for the degree/certificate/transcripts when they give a full time offer?

Not enough context really. All very vague. Something must have gone very wrong.

Depends who the employer is but they may put in a condition you get x grade in your degree and they may ask for a transcript or the certificate as proof.
You seem to be entertaining the idea that you will take the job and give them the impression you graduated. GL with that.

In my experience, yes, they want copies for their records. However, in my last job, a guy lied and said he had a 2:2 when he actually had a third (only hired 2:2 and up) and they never ever noticed even though they took copies of his certificate!
How on earth do you expect us to say anything meaningful given the information you've told us?
Reply 7
Original post by 999tigger
Not enough context really. All very vague. Something must have gone very wrong.

Depends who the employer is but they may put in a condition you get x grade in your degree and they may ask for a transcript or the certificate as proof.
You seem to be entertaining the idea that you will take the job and give them the impression you graduated. GL with that.

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression.

I had some issues with my family, unfortunately. They are based in Asia and I had to go back home for two months, missing many of my lectures and I failed all my exams as I came back to Britain just one month before.

My employer is a large consulting firm. On the job description they asked for a Bachelor degree but the degree I failed is a Master and I explicitly mentioned it on my CV and they asked questions on it during my interview.

My internship finishes in two months, I don't really know what to do.

If I resit my exams next year I will have to sit 8 exams which is too many for me.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Duncan2012
How on earth do you expect us to say anything meaningful given the information you've told us?

Told the whole story to my manager last week. They won't give me an offer..
Told the whole story to my manager last week. They won't give me an offer..

Ok. I'm sure you're disappointed but you have to move on. Decide if you want to try and resit, otherwise look for a job. The good news is with a degree already you're just as employable as if you had a masters. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending