The Student Room Group

Why is life so boring between 14-18

Scroll to see replies

18 genuinely isn't anything to look forward to.

Every day feels the exact same as the ones when you were 16 or something. The only thing that's changed is that you can go and get served, you can go to the bar, you can do whatever. But actually doing those things is pretty infrequent, unless you go out every weekend, so 18 isn't special really.

However, using your age as an excuse to say that 'life is dull' is more your fault, and not your age's... There are so many other things to do which don't require being 18. You just have to go and do them.
Original post by Kian Stevens
18 genuinely isn't anything to look forward to.

Every day feels the exact same as the ones when you were 16 or something. The only thing that's changed is that you can go and get served, you can go to the bar, you can do whatever. But actually doing those things is pretty infrequent, unless you go out every weekend, so 18 isn't special really.

However, using your age as an excuse to say that 'life is dull' is more your fault, and not your age's... There are so many other things to do which don't require being 18. You just have to go and do them.

I don’t get how it’s my fault if I don’t do things if I’m not allowed out at all by my parents because the world is too dangerous. They’ve tried to convince me that there’s a 100% chance of me being murdered if I go out alone or at least being assaulted
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Studentboy783
I don’t get how it’s my fault if I don’t do things if I’m not allowed out at all by my parents because the world is too dangerous. They’ve tried to convince me that there’s a 100% chance of me being murdered if I go out alone or at least being assaulted

How old are you (if you don't mind me asking)?
wHy is this me

but all the adults on tsr are going to be like pipe down kiddos loool

ah just listen to them they're older and wiser

would love to get fake id but it's not that easy and i'm scared of authority fml

sneak out dude and rebel against them ur already restricted anyway what punishment can they give you
Original post by RubyBlu
How old are you (if you don't mind me asking)?

14 years (and 6 months if that changes anything)
Does anyone else feel like when you turn 14 until your 18 your life is so dull. Your ready for independence and you want it but you can’t have it. People expect you to act like a adult but don’t give you the freedom of a adult. Your at the point where your childhood is over but your adulthood hasn’t begun.
Also it’s so boring when it comes for stuff to do. Your too old for teen discos but too young for clubbing and raves on top of most concerts. Also you can’t go to bars even if your not intending on drinking, you can’t play the lottery, you can’t get a job, you can’t rent a hotel room, you can’t get into certain movies, if you have controlling parents you have to deal with them and even more stuff.
Am i the only one who feels like this. I can’t wait until I’m finally 18 so I can get into clubs and attend music festivals and gigs.
Also in my experience if your at a park or any public area hanging out and your not with a kid your either a drug addict or a Pedo.

You're* x 8. There are plenty of things to do at that age, without any of the stress that comes with being over 18, as others here have already touched upon. Also, you can play the lottery in the UK at 16.
(edited 5 years ago)
14 years (and 6 months if that changes anything)

Where do you live? (not like anything specific just like the area)
Original post by rainclouds-
wHy is this me

but all the adults on tsr are going to be like pipe down kiddos loool

ah just listen to them they're older and wiser

would love to get fake id but it's not that easy and i'm scared of authority fml

sneak out dude and rebel against them ur already restricted anyway what punishment can they give you

I’m not scared of authority for fake ID I’m scared of spending a f*ckload on it and it either not working or not even turning up. And as for sneaking out I can’t our doors are so noisy You can hear it opening from anywhere in the house. And as for windows they don’t open wide enough for a person to fit through
Original post by RubyBlu
Where do you live? (not like anything specific just like the area)

I’m Irish
I’m Irish

huh ive never been to ireland. maybe the area you live in isnt the safest and thats why your parents are worried about you going out on your own?
I’m not scared of authority for fake ID I’m scared of spending a f*ckload on it and it either not working or not even turning up. And as for sneaking out I can’t our doors are so noisy You can hear it opening from anywhere in the house. And as for windows they don’t open wide enough for a person to fit through

i think my parents would kill me if i snuck out so im not taking the chance...
Original post by RubyBlu
huh ive never been to ireland. maybe the area you live in isnt the safest and thats why your parents are worried about you going out on your own?

The area is actually really safe. There’s not been any reports of drug deals, murders, assaults or any other activity like that. I’ve been around worse in my school (students sell drugs in the bathrooms since it’s the one place they safely can they’d be expelled if they did it anywhere the staff could see
(edited 5 years ago)

You can get a job before 18, you can get into pretty much any movie apart from the ones rated 18 before 18, you can go to gigs before 18, you can play the lottery by buying scratchcards before you're 18. Anyway, why on Earth is 'you can't rent a hotel room' an argument?

It's mostly your fault because you aren't doing anything. I don't know, go out with your mates, go to the gym, go join a kickboxing club or simply find a hobby. You don't have to be going out drinking to be doing something, and I feel as though that's the perception you have. You feel as though just because you can't go out, there's 'nothing to do'. It's naive and that's why it's your fault.

Don't put the blame on your parents either. Complaining about your parents caring for you is a moot point. My parents were like that, most teenagers' are. Just go and ask them to stop caring about you, and when something does happen, you'll wish you listened to them.
Original post by Kian Stevens
You can get a job before 18, you can get into pretty much any movie apart from the ones rated 18 before 18, you can go to gigs before 18, you can play the lottery by buying scratchcards before you're 18. Anyway, why on Earth is 'you can't rent a hotel room' an argument?

I's mostly your fault because you aren't doing anything. I don't know, go out with your mates, go to the gym, go join a kickboxing club or simply find a hobby. You don't have to be going out drinking to be doing something, and I feel as though that's the perception you have. You feel as though just because you can't go out, there's 'nothing to do'. It's naive and that's why it's your fault.

Don't put the blame on your parents either. Complaining about your parents caring for you is a moot point. My parents were like that, most teenagers' are. Just go and ask them to stop caring about you, and when something does happen, you'll wish you listened to them.

My parents say I’m too young for the gym or kickboxing apparently it will “damage me”. All my mates live far away, all the gigs these days seem to be 18+ at least all the ones in my area that aren’t classical concerts

alright let's compare how strict our parents are :laugh: you're like 14-15 so it kinda makes sense. i'm 16. i haven't received my national insurance number yet but my parents aren't letting me call the helpline because i'm not allowed a job. anytime i call anyone using the landline phone they need to know who it is or they don't let me use my computer. i have no friends at school because my parents are so strict and i can't leave the house ever either.

so i lie to them alllll the time. if they found out i use tsr i'd be in so much trouble. my sister whos 18 still has parental control on all of her devices.

so dw fam you're not alone. i get anxious and jittery when leaving my house so i don't bother but you're emotionally stable so i'd say sneak out. obviously the doors are going to be noisy but it's worth it. when you're like 30 you don't want to be telling people how restricted your teen years were, you wanna be telling people about the times you got out of the house. it's easier to get out of the house during school days imo so just hang in there we got a month to go we can do this.
seriously though i've read a couple of your other posts and my best advice would be make the most of what you have at home. like watch tv shows online and read books if you have any. are you planning on going uni? when you eventually have to move out things will get better. it's frustrating as hell because years pass you by but yeah... try and stay positive
Original post by rainclouds-
seriously though i've read a couple of your other posts and my best advice would be make the most of what you have at home. like watch tv shows online and read books if you have any. are you planning on going uni? when you eventually have to move out things will get better. it's frustrating as hell because years pass you by but yeah... try and stay positive

when it comes to books they have to be “approved” by my parents since they think some books are too hard to read for me. As for TV my Netflix is monitored and if they see something they don’t like then I’m in trouble. That’s the only real source of tv I have they won’t install a aerial or sky in my room
My parents say I’m too young for the gym or kickboxing apparently it will “damage me”. All my mates live far away, all the gigs these days seem to be 18+ at least all the ones in my area that aren’t classical concerts

The gym isn't just lifting weights you know, which is probably why they think you'll 'damage yourself'. Going for a run and whatnot at the gym not only makes you physically fitter, but it releases endorphins which promote better mood and happiness, and will stop you from feeling so down. Fair enough, kickboxing could hurt you, but then again that's only your parents being protective.

Do you not have any mates from school? Surely you can arrange something with them?

Not all gigs are 18+, unless there's nothing going on which would require you to be 18+. I don't know if you've heard of it, but the Tramlines festival in Sheffield requires attendees to be at least 14 year old. I can't imagine that to be the only festival which has those age limits.

Again, like I said, going out drinking isn't the only thing to do.
when it comes to books they have to be “approved” by my parents since they think some books are too hard to read for me. As for TV my Netflix is monitored and if they see something they don’t like then I’m in trouble. That’s the only real source of tv I have they won’t install a aerial or sky in my room

my parents used to do that when i was like 10 but my english teacher kept encouraging me to read harder books at parents evenings so my dad left me alone after. yikes that they still do that to you. at least you have netflix so there you go. focus on some positives even though i know how hard it is when your parents give you no freedom whatsoever - it's suffocating right? sadly you're just going to have to wait it out or go down the rebellious route.
Reply 39
peak times were 6-12. when you didn’t have responsibilities and weren’t expected to do any hard stuff like exams and figure out how taxes work and you can run around not having a care in the world or worry that people will judge you 😂

Quick Reply

Latest