Lauren Call
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi. Im in s4 studying N5 English and im struggling to find ideas for a discursive essay. Anyone got ideas. Im interested in health care, animals and technology. Thanks
cmary02
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi! I took N5 last year. I'd try and stay away from really commonly used topics like animal testing, euthanasia, abortion, school times, etc because your essay wont stand out so much. Judging by your interests a few ideas could be things like: Is enough being spent on healthcare? Should the centralisation of healthcare services stop? Should more drugs be put on the NHS? Are free prescriptions a good thing? Should zoos be purely for conservation? Are zoos/wildlife parks good for animals? What animals could be reintroduced to Scotland? How may climate change affect animals? Should young children be using so much technology? Should schools take more advantage of technology? Is a mobile phone a necessity nowadays?

Just a bunch of the top of my head - hope they help!
Lauren Call
Rep:
?
Thanks. These are some great ideas. I'm sure this will help alot. I think im going to write a list of argumentative topics and persuasive topics so i can do some research in both areas and focus on a couple i fell the most confident in and further research. Any advice?
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Lauren Call)
Hi. Im in s4 studying N5 English and im struggling to find ideas for a discursive essay. Anyone got ideas. Im interested in health care, animals and technology. Thanks
Looking at current news can be a good place to start when looking for ideas. You want something which is topical and has sufficient depth so you can write about it for long enough. As has been said, avoid common and overdone topics, unless you are going to put a new unique slant on them. If it's something you are interested in, can relate to or are passionate about, you will likely find it easier to write about, which will hopefully make a better essay.
You could combine some of your interests and write about something like the impact technology has on our health- this is probably too broad though, so you would want to narrow that down further to something you can discuss and almost debate with yourself on.

Hope this helps
Lauren Call
Rep:
?
That's great thank you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you do not get the A-level grades you want this summer, what is your likely next step?

Take autumn exams (30)
37.97%
Take exams next summer (17)
21.52%
Change uni choice through clearing (21)
26.58%
Apply to uni next year instead (9)
11.39%
I'm not applying to university (2)
2.53%

Watched Threads