The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Stream 2018/19

post removed
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Good luck to all! I am about to start the Generalist scheme at the end of August, so happy to help with anything minus the E-tray or video interview stuff as I did not do that!
Reply 2
Generalist is now 3 1 year placements. I will be working in Social Security Scottish Government. It's a new department so I'm excited
Reply 3
I did the SDIP summer 2017 :smile:
Hello everyone!

I'm about to go into my third year studying mathematics (RG uni), I have done some research into each stream, but i'm looking for some general guidance on what streams will match the skill set of a maths graduate.

Cheers, and good luck!
Original post by Bruce Norris
Government Operational Research Service and Government Statistical Service are both good matches.

Thanks for the tip, the GORS sounds quite interesting, i'm not too sure about the extra interview after the FSAC though! What schemes are you interested in?
Reply 6
Good luck all, will be keeping an eye on this thread! Got myself a decent HEO post during my last semester but still going to apply for Diplomatic.
I intend to apply for government social research next year - how can I find out when the process opens?

Thanks!
Reply 8
Hi all, I am starting on Generalist this October, just putting a post on here so it goes on my watched threads, as I'm more than happy to give any support or tips etc.
Will also be interested to see what potential changes may be made to the application process!
Reply 9
Hi! I just wanted to know how you prepared before the start of the application process? So at this stage, what kind of preparation should I be undertaking? Thank you very much for offering to help!
The Fast Stream website says applications open on September 20th!
Original post by abc:)
Hi all, I am starting on Generalist this October, just putting a post on here so it goes on my watched threads, as I'm more than happy to give any support or tips etc.
Will also be interested to see what potential changes may be made to the application process!

Congratulations, you must be elated! Can I ask what the time interval was between you applying and being informed of the result? I.e. did you apply last Sept/Oct when the process opened? That would make it about a year between applying and starting, which seems long.

Thanks!
Good luck everyone! I'm starting on the Fast Stream in October, and the main thing that I would recommend to everyone thinking of applying is to think really carefully about the order you list the schemes on your application - a lot of people last year got caught out realising too late that they would have preferred their third choice to their second etc., and also realising that they didn't have the required degree for one of their chosen schemes, so had wasted a choice. As I said though, good luck!
Reply 13
Original post by turkishdisco
Congratulations, you must be elated! Can I ask what the time interval was between you applying and being informed of the result? I.e. did you apply last Sept/Oct when the process opened? That would make it about a year between applying and starting, which seems long.

Thanks!

I applied in late September and found out in late December, so it wasn't too bad. They have really tried to shorten the process because of feedback about how long it is. Some people waited longer than me especially those who had to do interviews after the FSAC.

Obviously the downside of finding out early is then you're waiting the best part of a year to start (I don't even start until October!) but I'd rather that and at least know you have an offer, than wait ages to find out!
Hi everyone! Watching this thread as I’m heading into my 3rd and final year at uni so preparing to apply to the Fast Stream for the first time :smile: not getting my hopes up due to how competitive it is but going to give it a go and just see where I get to!
Reply 15
Original post by BlueEyedGirl_
Hi everyone! Watching this thread as I’m heading into my 3rd and final year at uni so preparing to apply to the Fast Stream for the first time :smile: not getting my hopes up due to how competitive it is but going to give it a go and just see where I get to!

If it makes you feel better I applied 3 (maybe 4?) times before I got on and this isn't uncommon! Not that you don't have a good chance this time as well! But I wish someone had told me that when I first applied to take the pressure off a bit lol x
If it makes you feel better I applied 3 (maybe 4?) times before I got on and this isn't uncommon! Not that you don't have a good chance this time as well! But I wish someone had told me that when I first applied to take the pressure off a bit lol x

Ahh that is good to know! I’ll feel less bad if I don’t get it hahah. If you don’t mind me asking, which stream did you get on? X
Reply 17
Original post by BlueEyedGirl_
Ahh that is good to know! I’ll feel less bad if I don’t get it hahah. If you don’t mind me asking, which stream did you get on? X

Generalist. I got rejected for Houses of Parliament and Diplomatic at fairly early stages, and at FSAC I was still in the running for communications as well. I got generalist by default because it was a higher choice but when I checked people's FSAC scores on here I think I would have just missed out on comms by my score anyway! With hindsight I'm really glad I'm on this one :smile:
Generalist. I got rejected for Houses of Parliament and Diplomatic at fairly early stages, and at FSAC I was still in the running for communications as well. I got generalist by default because it was a higher choice but when I checked people's FSAC scores on here I think I would have just missed out on comms by my score anyway! With hindsight I'm really glad I'm on this one :smile:

Ahh ok! Glad you’re pleased with it :smile: I think I’ll apply for HoP and Diplomatic too, although obvs I know how competitive they are but worth a shot! And then I reckon my other option will the the Social Research scheme
Social Research, happy to answer any questions on the SRAC, as well as the application process more generally.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending