Civil Service Fast Stream 2018/19 Watch

abc:)
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by turkishdisco)
Congratulations, you must be elated! Can I ask what the time interval was between you applying and being informed of the result? I.e. did you apply last Sept/Oct when the process opened? That would make it about a year between applying and starting, which seems long.

Thanks!
I applied in late September and found out in late December, so it wasn't too bad. They have really tried to shorten the process because of feedback about how long it is. Some people waited longer than me especially those who had to do interviews after the FSAC.

Obviously the downside of finding out early is then you're waiting the best part of a year to start (I don't even start until October!) but I'd rather that and at least know you have an offer, than wait ages to find out!
BlueEyedGirl_
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi everyone! Watching this thread as I’m heading into my 3rd and final year at uni so preparing to apply to the Fast Stream for the first time not getting my hopes up due to how competitive it is but going to give it a go and just see where I get to!
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by BlueEyedGirl_)
Hi everyone! Watching this thread as I’m heading into my 3rd and final year at uni so preparing to apply to the Fast Stream for the first time not getting my hopes up due to how competitive it is but going to give it a go and just see where I get to!
If it makes you feel better I applied 3 (maybe 4?) times before I got on and this isn't uncommon! Not that you don't have a good chance this time as well! But I wish someone had told me that when I first applied to take the pressure off a bit lol x
BlueEyedGirl_
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by abc:))
If it makes you feel better I applied 3 (maybe 4?) times before I got on and this isn't uncommon! Not that you don't have a good chance this time as well! But I wish someone had told me that when I first applied to take the pressure off a bit lol x
Ahh that is good to know! I’ll feel less bad if I don’t get it hahah. If you don’t mind me asking, which stream did you get on? X
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by BlueEyedGirl_)
Ahh that is good to know! I’ll feel less bad if I don’t get it hahah. If you don’t mind me asking, which stream did you get on? X
Generalist. I got rejected for Houses of Parliament and Diplomatic at fairly early stages, and at FSAC I was still in the running for communications as well. I got generalist by default because it was a higher choice but when I checked people's FSAC scores on here I think I would have just missed out on comms by my score anyway! With hindsight I'm really glad I'm on this one
BlueEyedGirl_
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by abc:))
Generalist. I got rejected for Houses of Parliament and Diplomatic at fairly early stages, and at FSAC I was still in the running for communications as well. I got generalist by default because it was a higher choice but when I checked people's FSAC scores on here I think I would have just missed out on comms by my score anyway! With hindsight I'm really glad I'm on this one
Ahh ok! Glad you’re pleased with it I think I’ll apply for HoP and Diplomatic too, although obvs I know how competitive they are but worth a shot! And then I reckon my other option will the the Social Research scheme
TryingIsGood
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Vexper)
What stream are you on fella? (What department have you landed in also?)
Social Research, happy to answer any questions on the SRAC, as well as the application process more generally.
WanderingRanger
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Anyone have any tips on the initial assesments? Particularly the situation response questions? How did those successful last year prepare for them?
TryingIsGood
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I would recommend having a look through the Fast Stream competency framework, to get an idea of the kind of behaviours that are expected, and doing some practice tests, to get used to the format.
whonut
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I'm currently on the Summer Diversity Internship programme so will get through directly to the FSAC. I'm most interested in the OR stream, but I found the application for their internship really tough despite being on a highly numerate degree etc. (maths and physics). 'Achieving impact with analysis' was particularly hard to evidence, I think. Does anyone have any tips about applying to GORS/the OR stream?
bobblecopter
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hello all, best of luck with your applications this year! I know there are a few others on here already, but I'm also starting in October on the Generalist scheme. Honestly the student room and last years thread kept me going through glitches and arduous waits! Happy to try and help anyone with any questions!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
BobbyR
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi everyone. Just like many of you, I will be applying this year. Previously stumbled at the e-tray, any tips? Best of luck to all and I look forward to following this thread closely.
ToastMonkey
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hey folks! I've had a dig around but can't find any info on FS locations.

I'm tied down to a particular non-Lomdon city so I'm wondering if it's worth applying?
Quiet Benin
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
How do you get into this scheme. I really wanna ****ing get this so badly because im from a BAME background. I want to work mainly in Generalist but i have heard this scheme only accepts the elite.

Any tips whoever has done this (and probably from a bame background) got into this scheme???
bobblecopter
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by ToastMonkey)
Hey folks! I've had a dig around but can't find any info on FS locations.

I'm tied down to a particular non-Lomdon city so I'm wondering if it's worth applying?
The FS is nationwide, this year there's been postings so far up and down the country (Edinburgh, Dundee, Aberdeen, York, Manchester, Leeds, Portsmouth, Cardiff to name a few off the top of my head!). If you have a particular reason as to why you wouldn't want to relocate (health, caring commitments etc) the assignments team may give you a relocation restriction. Hopefully that helps
bobblecopter
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Quiet Benin)
How do you get into this scheme. I really wanna ****ing get this so badly because im from a BAME background. I want to work mainly in Generalist but i have heard this scheme only accepts the elite.

Any tips whoever has done this (and probably from a bame background) got into this scheme???
Not from a BAME background, but not from an elite background either (state school, one parent low income household, first in my family to go to uni, did not go to Oxbridge). I think the CS have tried to push being more inclusive and I *believe* the stages are blind judged where possible although I could be wrong on this.

Good luck with your application!
london96
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by TryingIsGood)
Social Research, happy to answer any questions on the SRAC, as well as the application process more generally.
Hi there, I’ll be applying with social research as my first choice as I’m doing a social policy master’s this year! Would you be able to tell me (and others!) a bit about the e-tray exercise - what does it entail and is there any way to prepare or practice something similar beforehand? Also, do you happen to know how many people in the assessment centre go on to get a job offer? Thanks in advance!
TryingIsGood
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by london96)
Hi there, I’ll be applying with social research as my first choice as I’m doing a social policy master’s this year! Would you be able to tell me (and others!) a bit about the e-tray exercise - what does it entail and is there any way to prepare or practice something similar beforehand? Also, do you happen to know how many people in the assessment centre go on to get a job offer? Thanks in advance!
Hello. I don't know how many got through the general assessment centre, but from the Social Research assessment centre (the final selection board for the SR stream) I was told about 75% were offered a job. Because the entry requirements (eg having a 2.1, and a specific degree) are higher for SR, the passmark at the first assessment centre will often be lower for this, and other analytical schemes, than the more open streams.

Difficult to give specific advice for the etray, but i'd say read all the guidance they give you on the website, and do some practice tests, to get use to the format. In the actual test, I found it useful to review all the information, before starting, to get idea of what sort of information was contained and where, so I could go back for details as I needed them, rather than trying to take it all in. When answering the questions, think about the competencies, as well as facts.
Giant Oreo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Does anyone know which streams are harder to get on to and which are easier to get on to?My degree is Arts and Sciences, not very quantitative, so can't do the numeracy streams............cheers!
BlueEyedGirl_
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Giant Oreo)
Does anyone know which streams are harder to get on to and which are easier to get on to?My degree is Arts and Sciences, not very quantitative, so can't do the numeracy streams............cheers!
Applying this year so this is just from my research/stalking last years discussion but I believe Houses of Parliament and Diplomatic are the hardest (something like less than the top 1% get in) but even the ‘easiest’ I believe is only the top 7% and I can’t remember which schemes (if I find the chart I’ll post it here so apologies for the lack of references!)

Edit to add reference - not the chart I was referencing and slightly old but one I think is still somewhat useful: https://www.instituteforgovernment.o...m-seven-charts
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (208)
14.71%
The paper was reasonable (791)
55.94%
Not feeling great about that exam... (310)
21.92%
It was TERRIBLE (105)
7.43%

Watched Threads