Civil Service Fast Stream 2018/19 Watch

Airmed
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
There really is no easy and no hard schemes to get into and you definitely should NOT pick schemes based on this.

44000 people applied for the 2018 cycle. Only 900 of us got in.

As of Monday I will be a proper Fast Streamer (ie first day in office) so any questions, please do ask
abc:)
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Quiet Benin)
How do you get into this scheme. I really wanna ****ing get this so badly because im from a BAME background. I want to work mainly in Generalist but i have heard this scheme only accepts the elite.

Any tips whoever has done this (and probably from a bame background) got into this scheme???
Their stats on this are really bad, although I heard rumours they are expected to be better this year but I think they do try to address the imbalance, e.g. they won't ask what uni you went to (to prevent any bias towards more elite unis), your expenses for the FSAC are all covered so it's accessible, not just to those who can afford to travel across the country.

Do you have linkedin? Maybe you could try and connect with some BAME Fast Streamers, see if they're willing to tell you a bit about their experiences.

As for general tips on getting on the scheme follow this page and loads of advice should come up. As a starting point read the competency framework really well
ZainabHAHaque
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Airmed)
There really is no easy and no hard schemes to get into and you definitely should NOT pick schemes based on this.

44000 people applied for the 2018 cycle. Only 900 of us got in.

As of Monday I will be a proper Fast Streamer (ie first day in office) so any questions, please do ask
Hi! Congratulations and I hope your week has been going well so far. My question is very vague as I’m quite new to the scene, but have had my eye on the fast stream concept for a while.
Could you briefly detail your journey from undergrad to now? I’m entering my first year of uni this September, and would love to hear how other people got to where I’d like to be in a few years.
ZainabHAHaque
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Anyone here applied/applying for the Early Diversity Internship Programme?
What’s the process and any advice?
Airmed
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by ZainabHAHaque)
Hi! Congratulations and I hope your week has been going well so far. My question is very vague as I’m quite new to the scene, but have had my eye on the fast stream concept for a while.
Could you briefly detail your journey from undergrad to now? I’m entering my first year of uni this September, and would love to hear how other people got to where I’d like to be in a few years.
So I went to a non-RG uni, let's get that out of the way. The Fast Stream don't care about what uni you go to or what your degree is (unless you go for a scheme that requires certain stats). All they care about is getting a 2:2 or a 2:1.

I went to uni with very little work experience. I had never had a part time job before. Uni got me that in summer after finishing my first year (summer 2016). I worked at Clearing, helping people get into uni and I guess that was the start of me developing my team skills, people skills. I can't stress enough how important that is!

In my second year, I started the application for the Summer Diversity Internship Programme. I'm not BAME, but I come from a very socially deprived area and neither of my parents have university degrees. The SDIP was amazing (I can explain that in more detail if you want) and by getting into that and successfully completing it, I got a Fast Pass. This allowed me to go straight to Assessment Centre for the Fast Stream, and yeah, here I am now, very tired after my second day on the job
Slowbro93
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Round two of the civil service fast stream application for me, last time I did it was 4 years ago ...
xyz94
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Where can we practise the Watson Glazer test?
Airmed
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Slowbro93)
Round two of the civil service fast stream application for me, last time I did it was 4 years ago ...
:awesome:
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
AzY-
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Has anyone been accepted interested in applying to or already on the Science & engineering scheme

"2:1 or higher in any degree subject including degree apprenticeships And hold a doctorate or masters in a xyz"

Does this mean they want an undergraduate, and a postgraduate, or is an integrated masters qualification sufficient?

Additionally, what kind of roles are you expected to do, types of rotations for placement available, and future roles and locations of these roles upon completion of this scheme, specfic to this science scheme only please thank you.
Slowbro93
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by AzY-)
Has anyone been accepted interested in applying to or already on the Science & engineering scheme

"2:1 or higher in any degree subject including degree apprenticeships And hold a doctorate or masters in a xyz"

Does this mean they want an undergraduate, and a postgraduate, or is an integrated masters qualification sufficient?

Additionally, what kind of roles are you expected to do, types of rotations for placement available, and future roles and locations of these roles upon completion of this scheme, specfic to this science scheme only please thank you.
My understanding is that an integrated masters is an acceptable qualification, I'd be applying with a doctorate.
AzY-
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
thats great, will this be your first time applying, and are you only considering this or have you ranked others too in the fast stream
Giant Oreo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by BlueEyedGirl_)
Applying this year so this is just from my research/stalking last years discussion but I believe Houses of Parliament and Diplomatic are the hardest (something like less than the top 1% get in) but even the ‘easiest’ I believe is only the top 7% and I can’t remember which schemes (if I find the chart I’ll post it here so apologies for the lack of references!)

Edit to add reference - not the chart I was referencing and slightly old but one I think is still somewhat useful: https://www.instituteforgovernment.o...m-seven-charts
Thanks! I got in touch with the civil service and they confirmed that Generalist is the least competitive of the schemes, because there are the most places available
aislinn122
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
When registering your interest about the Fast Stream is there anything in particular that is important to include, any sort of format?
Slowbro93
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by AzY-)
thats great, will this be your first time applying, and are you only considering this or have you ranked others too in the fast stream
Nah, I applied for OR 4 years back, got to the first assessment centre then (the process was slightly different then) and flopped miserably :rofl: did realise that scheme definitely wasn't for me, however.

This time applying with a lot more experience. I'd have Science and Engineering as my first and probably generalist and project management as my 2nd and 3rd choice. Although if I didn't get in via the first two and only got my last choice I don't think I'd accept it as I'm quite set in my mind what field I want to go into.
turkishdisco
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by TryingIsGood)
Social Research, happy to answer any questions on the SRAC, as well as the application process more generally.
Hi, well done on your place! I'm interested in Social Research too. Can you offer any advice about the knowledge test? I'm wondering if the practice version is faithful to the actual test, and how much stats I need to brush up on. Thanks!
TryingIsGood
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by turkishdisco)
Hi, well done on your place! I'm interested in Social Research too. Can you offer any advice about the knowledge test? I'm wondering if the practice version is faithful to the actual test, and how much stats I need to brush up on. Thanks!
The practice one is a fair indication of what to expect in the written test, though I would also strongly recommend reviewing, and ensuring that you are able to explain verbally and in writing, key terms and concepts in stats and research design. Good luck!
abc:)
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by aislinn122)
When registering your interest about the Fast Stream is there anything in particular that is important to include, any sort of format?
Not that I know of!

Within reason, nothing that happens outside of the set tests will affect your chances of getting on the fast stream. You always know when you are being assessed. Obviously it's good practice to send an email that is fairly professional sounding / looking, it gets you in the right mindset for one, but to be honest even if you send it in pink comic sans it won't affect your chances.

The other thing you might have meant (sorry I'm unsure from your post) is whether you need to include information about diversity, reasonable adjustments etc? In which case again, you don't at this stage. All of that will be covered at each relevant stage. Hope this helps.
marupe
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Slowbro93)
What did you do in the meantime?
Slowbro93
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by marupe)
What did you do in the meantime?
Local government for a year, PhD after that. In my final year atm and applying for Science and Engineering.
Slowbro93
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Right so I have a question regarding the application process.

I've had a diagnosis of Aspergers Syndrome so during schooling and my degree I was given extra time due to my ease of getting distracted

Thing is although Leeds are aware of it, I have not had to have any changes "officially" with the exception with how my supervisors deal with me. Question is is it worth that I had a provision up till 3 years ago to the recruiters? :erm:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (208)
14.71%
The paper was reasonable (791)
55.94%
Not feeling great about that exam... (310)
21.92%
It was TERRIBLE (105)
7.43%

Watched Threads