Civil Service Fast Stream 2018/19 Watch

dejahcarter
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by abc:))
Hi all, I am starting on Generalist this October, just putting a post on here so it goes on my watched threads, as I'm more than happy to give any support or tips etc.
Will also be interested to see what potential changes may be made to the application process!
I'm quite curious as to how long the whole process took? From applying to starting your position? Good luck for your new role!
bobblecopter
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by dejahcarter)
I'm quite curious as to how long the whole process took? From applying to starting your position? Good luck for your new role!
It's normally a year. The application window I feel is about a month. They say they aim to get your through the process to an offer in around 12 weeks (I applied late september, got my offer early November) but then the actual start dates are not until the end of August at the earliest, with some starting at the beginning of October.
Vexper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Just wondering - if offered a position how does your first placement (and second etc) get decided? Do you have any 'interests' to select or is it purely here you go hope you enjoy it. There's some definite areas I'd love to work in if there's scope to do so.
Vexper
Rep:
?
(Original post by Slowbro93)
Right so I have a question regarding the application process.

I've had a diagnosis of Aspergers Syndrome so during schooling and my degree I was given extra time due to my ease of getting distracted

Thing is although Leeds are aware of it, I have not had to have any changes "officially" with the exception with how my supervisors deal with me. Question is is it worth that I had a provision up till 3 years ago to the recruiters? :erm:
https://faststream.blog.gov.uk/2017/10/17/limitless/

There's a blog post about how you may be able to get some extra support during the testing phase, may as well see if you can get it?
SuperHuman98
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hey I’m starting 1st year of university soon, and Civil Service is something I’m considering because it eventually pays well, and I like talking to people (a Civil Servent who spoke at our school said he visits and works with communities).

Is there any blog/article outlining this fast stream process? Really clueless.
Vexper
Rep:
?
(Original post by bobblecopter)
Hey, so initially we got to pick 10 departments we would be interested in but you couldn't rank them by preference so it could have been any of the 10 (I can't remember but I think you had to pick 10 as well). This was for Generalist but I think this is similar for other schemes although I could be wrong.

Then the CS announced changes to the Generalist scheme and brought in a cluster system. You had to put down your top three cluster choices (this time you could rank them) and then you stay within that cluster for the whole scheme. You will be in different departments but will always have the cluster focus. Examples of clusters are EU Exit or Security and Defence. Hope that helps!
That's a lot better then I expected honestly, thanks for the insight!

Where did you end up if I might ask? (was it what you wanted/thought it would be?)
Vexper
Rep:
?
So I put my first choice down as security and defence and second as Eu exit. I got Eu exit but was going to be sat in the department of health and social care helping the team implement their Eu exit plan for the continuation of supplies of medicine, organs etc. Honestly super interesting! Unfortunately I’ve had to defer my entry for a year so I won’t be taking up that role, but I’m grateful I didn’t lose my place! Some people didn’t get their preference at all and were quite unhappy with their role or cluster but from what I’ve heard, once you’re off the scheme, it’s easier to move around the civil service and work in the area your passionate about. Whilst working on a department you love straight away is amazing, ultimately the scheme is about learning yeh necessary skills to be a senior civil servant, where you work will be more flexible once you have those skills!
Since you've deferred are you still guaranteed to still be in your chosen cluster?

Also, can you recall what any of the other cluster groups are?
Vexper
Rep:
?
No idea, I hope so as the EU exit thing is a once in lifetime experience I think. Sad I won't be there on the date we actually leave the EU

Education, Environment and Communities
Infrastructure and Industry
Social, Justice and Welfare
Trade and Economy.

This is the first year they've used the cluster system so could all change!
Appreciate this info - can any current fast streamer on a different scheme to Generalist confirm that you are offered similar preferences to the above?
Airmed
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Slowbro93)
Right so I have a question regarding the application process.

I've had a diagnosis of Aspergers Syndrome so during schooling and my degree I was given extra time due to my ease of getting distracted

Thing is although Leeds are aware of it, I have not had to have any changes "officially" with the exception with how my supervisors deal with me. Question is is it worth that I had a provision up till 3 years ago to the recruiters? :erm:
I got extra time in my assessment centre, definitely declare it!

(psst, you know where to find me :mmm:)
Airmed
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Vexper)
Appreciate this info - can any current fast streamer on a different scheme to Generalist confirm that you are offered similar preferences to the above?
not every scheme has clusters, I had to explain them to a HR Fast Streamer!
Airmed
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by SuperHuman98)
Hey I’m starting 1st year of university soon, and Civil Service is something I’m considering because it eventually pays well, and I like talking to people (a Civil Servent who spoke at our school said he visits and works with communities).

Is there any blog/article outlining this fast stream process? Really clueless.
drop me a PM with any questions :yep:
SophieMillar
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi all!Anyone from the Science and Tech stream on here? Any tips for if the application process is different or any success stories I can learn from ?I'll be finishing my PhD in (vaguely) biology next Summer...Thanks!Sophie
dejahcarter
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Are there are current civil servants that are thinking of applying? Some skills don't require a degree if you are an existing civil servant. Any civil servants without a degree that have been successful?
TryingIsGood
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Vexper)
For Social Research, we were sent a list of the departments recruiting from the scheme at that time and could put our top three choices, as well as one that we definitely didn't want. We could similarly put a preferred location and a definitely not location. A few people didn't get one of their top three, but did get their location.
KHAN.S
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Does anyone who has previously applied to the Fast Stream know at what point of the application process you need to upload your current CV?

Thanks!
Slowbro93
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Airmed)
I got extra time in my assessment centre, definitely declare it!

(psst, you know where to find me :mmm:)
I'll definitely send over the documents of course!

In other news, it starts this week :erm:
Plydva
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Does anybody know if the Judgement tests for the fast stream are the same as the CS jobs ones?
naaaaaat
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
lejazzy
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi! I am planning to apply to the civil service grad scheme. The situational judgement test is worrying me a little if I’m honest.

But I wanted to ask: I really want the Generalist scheme but I’ve heard conflicting advice and that I should rank generalist as my second preference. How is everyone ranking their preferences? Because if I am going by what I want most- Generalist is first but I’ve been told it’s more strategic to put as second or third....
Plydva
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
And we're live!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (51)
22.27%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (78)
34.06%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (48)
20.96%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (20)
8.73%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (32)
13.97%

Watched Threads

Latest