The Student Room Group

Applying for a master's degree with a third class.

I have just recently qualified with a fashion degree, achieving a third class. Due to family bereavement (long story short, I lost my daughter in my second year) and the course was in it last year, before it changed it title and modules, so I was unable to take a cap year. I have just applied for my master's at Manchester metropolitan and they have rejected my application. I explained a family bereavement. Do you think if I email them explaining exactly what happened l, I will get accepted onto the master's?
(edited 5 years ago)
I think bereavement may count as an extenuating circumstance (at least in my uni it does); you could try emailing but at the same time IDK if they'll let you on the course. I'm only saying this b/c a lot of unis can be strict w/grades and in the case of a master's they'll probably expect at least a 2:1. All I have to say is give it a try and see what happens.
Possibly, did you have an interview or portfolio review? You should have really been given the opportunity to show your potential given the extenuating circumstances I would think...

If you did and they still rejected you, then perhaps spending a bit of time strengthening and refining your portfolio will be more helpful to focus on. If not, query why you weren't given the opportunity given you have (considerable) extenuating circumstances for your weaker performance in summative assessments, which doesn't necessarily suggest you lack the ability to do well in the new course now that you have moved past those circumstances.
No, I just got an email saying, we are unable to accept you on the course. Whether it's because it's full for 18/19 don't know. But thought it was abit odd. I currently work in the industry I was hoping to do my master's in and the description on the site, said it looks alot into experience. I told them everything I do and still rejected me.

(Original
post by artful_lounger)Possibly, did you have an interview or portfolio review? You should have really been given the opportunity to show your potential given the extenuating circumstances I would think...

If you did and they still rejected you, then perhaps spending a bit of time strengthening and refining your portfolio will be more helpful to focus on. If not, query why you weren't given the opportunity given you have (considerable) extenuating circumstances for your weaker performance in summative assessments, which doesn't necessarily suggest you lack the ability to do well in the new course now that you have moved past those circumstances.

Original post by artful_lounger
Possibly, did you have an interview or portfolio review? You should have really been given the opportunity to show your potential given the extenuating circumstances I would think...

No, I just got an email saying, we are unable to accept you on the course. Whether it's because it's full for 18/19 don't know. But thought it was abit odd. I currently work in the industry I was hoping to do my master's in and the description on the site, said it looks alot into experience. I told them everything I do and still rejected me.
Reply 5
Could you resit any of your degree? Your mitigating circumstances should allow for this. Which university did you attend?
Moved to Art and Design university courses

Sorry to hear about your bereavement :hugs:
Original post by ben789
Could you resit any of your degree? Your mitigating circumstances should allow for this. Which university did you attend?

It was at Lancaster university. I have tried that, but because the whole degree is changing and class of 2018 was the final year, I am unable to extend on my work. I spoke to my university tutor and she said, it's unfortunate but she can write a statement to Manchester metropolitan if needed.
Original post by natashafreeman
I have just recently qualified with a fashion degree, achieving a third class. Due to family bereavement (long story short, I lost my daughter in my second year) and the course was in it last year, before it changed it title and modules, so I was unable to take a cap year. I have just applied for my master's at Manchester metropolitan and they have rejected my application. I explained a family bereavement. Do you think if I email them explaining exactly what happened l, I will get accepted onto the master's?

Its a shame you didnt post on TSR in the time of crisis, then we could have helped you manage the situation and more likely saved the degree. I would ahve taken the gap, even with changes.
Have you talked to your personal tutor? What were your scores like? Just trying to assess the impact of the bereavement on the academics.

Normally masters are 22: and often 2:1 min. Is this the same uni?
It could well be you were screened out immediately because of the third.

If you have a supportive tutor, then the reference could help explain matters.
As artful said your portfolio could be improved.
Contact the course organiser and ask if anything could have been done and whether it is worth reapplying.

Its all very much on the backfoot because of the third. Sorry for your loss, very cruel only to be made worse with the knock on effect.
Reply 9
Original post by natashafreeman
It was at Lancaster university. I have tried that, but because the whole degree is changing and class of 2018 was the final year, I am unable to extend on my work. I spoke to my university tutor and she said, it's unfortunate but she can write a statement to Manchester metropolitan if needed.

I've just finished my second year at Lancaster! :smile:

Have you read this page? http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/shm/study/doctoral_study/dclinpsy/onlinehandbook/mitigating_circumstances_committee/

Could you not resit any coursework/exams? There must be overlap in content from your degree to the new one. Seems a bit harsh that you suffer for them changing the degree programme.

Quick Reply

Latest