Poll: Should this bill be passed into law?
As many are of the opinion, Aye (17)
37.78%
On the contrary, No (17)
37.78%
Abstain (11)
24.44%
This discussion is closed.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
V1398 – Terrorism Bill 2018, TSR National Conservative Party, CatusStarbright MP
Terrorism Bill 2018

A
BILL
TO

Legislate for those who leave and join a terrorist organisation to return to the United Kingdom with malicious intent as well as those who withhold vital information regarding any terrorist cells residing within the United Kingdom.

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1: Definitions
(1) For the purposes of this Act; malicious intent is the intent to cause injury or death.
(2) For the purposes of this Act; a terrorist organisation is any political, religious or ideological movement that uses terror in order to achieve its objectives.
(3) For the purposes of this Act; a terrorist cell is any group of people operating under the guise of, or in the name of any terrorist organisation.

2: Returning to the United Kingdom after joining a terrorist organisation with or without malicious intent
(1) Any person found to have returned to the United Kingdom, after joining any terrorist organisation, with or without malicious intent may be convicted, on indictment, to a maximum of life imprisonment.
(2) The Home Office may investigate individuals suspected of leaving to join a terrorist organisation. However, the Home Office may not deprive the suspect's liberty, only restrict said liberty.
(a) The Home Office may, however, detain the suspect if there are reasonable grounds and evidence that the suspect will join or has joined a terrorist organisation whilst abroad.
(i) The Home Office may only detain the suspect for a period of one month until said suspect is brought before the courts.

3: Duty to disclose information
(1) It is the duty of persons in the United Kingdom to report any information they obtain regarding terrorist cells who intend to do harm to the United Kingdom, subjects or any person situated in the United Kingdom at the time of their unlawful act.

4: Withholding information regarding known terrorist cells
(1) Any person found to have purposefully withheld information regarding any terrorist cells may be convicted, on indictment, up to 12 months imprisonment, a fine up to but not exceeding £1,500 or both.

5: Commencement, Extent and Short Title
(1) The provisions of this Act shall come into force upon Royal Assent.
(2) This Act extends to the United Kingdom.
(3) This Act shall be known as the Terrorism Act 2018.

Spoiler:
Show
Notes:

This bill makes crucial compromises in the war on terrorism. It recognises that an automatic detention is unjust and does not befit our justice system and yhe values upon which it stands. Therefore, the Home Office would be restricted from depriving the suspect of their liberty, they may only restrict it. However, there are sometimes cases where detention is necessary and thus the equally makes provision for that also.

This bill makes important steps in making it a legal obligation for citizens who possess information, on terrorist cells targeting the United Kingdom here or aboard, to pass such information onto the authorities. Terrorism is one of the biggest threats facing 21st century life. Whilst there has always been terror, never has it been so prevalent. Never has it been so unified. Never has it been such a dangerous threat.

g131999
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye, although I don't see why terrorists deserve ANY rights.
Life_peer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No, because I do not support detention without the involvement of the judiciary. Set up a special court if you want it done quickly, but the executive should not have this power; this isn't the US and I don't want European countries to adopt their model of using terrorism to scare people into signing under all kinds of ridiculous authoritarian laws.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
One No has been removed due to a double vote in seat 19 (StatusRed / RayApparently).
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
The Ayes to the right: 17
The Noes to the left: 17
Abstentions: 11

The Noes have it! The Noes have it! Unlock!

Turnout: 90%
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.23%
I'm not sure (59)
4.54%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (381)
29.31%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.85%
I'm not a current university student (638)
49.08%

Watched Threads