The Student Room Group

how do i not fall behind?

what's your best organizational tips for gcse level to not fall behind?? x
Starting revision sooner rather than later always works better than last minute revision, but at the same time don't sacrifice your social life for revision especially when you don't need to. Start out revising maybe 30 minutes to an hour a night maybe 3-5 days a week at the start, this will give you a strong foundation for more revision closer to your exams. Find out what revision style is best for you as soon as possible; forcing yourself to revise a specific way may not help at all. Finally, create a timetable, it helps balance out revision between subjects (I revised maths way more than english and that will probably show in my results). Timetables also give you a sense of satisfaction when you complete a task and may well help motivate you.
Best of luck X
I'd agree with starting revision early, and seeing how much you can get ahead. Other tips:

- If you come across any topics you struggle with in class this year, try and dedicate extra time to understanding them, practising questions on them, and really getting your head around them. It's best to invest time immediately and ask your teacher for any extra help required, rather than leaving them until you start revising and finding them super hard.

- Make yourself targets for throughout the year. Set dates by which you want to have achieved certain milestones e.g. by the end of September you want to have completed revision notes on 3 biology topics, 2 chemistry topics etc. Having some form of timetable will both motivate you not to fall behind, and make you aware of areas you have fallen behind in and so help you stay on track.

- it can be good to use revision apps / platforms, because they track your progress, show which subjects you've spent more time on etc so will make sure you don't neglect a topic or subject. I find Seneca Learning good, but also Gojimo can be decent and there are probably loads of others out there!
Original post by ellemarie
what's your best organizational tips for gcse level to not fall behind?? x

Which year are you starting?

It's important to know exactly what is required of you to pass your exams - so download the specification for each subject ASAP and base your revision off of that.

Do your homework with 100% commitment - what do I mean by that?! You have to do it anyway so use it as an excuse to learn the content well. I used to absolutely understand the content and looked at the specification to see if I needed to know anymore around that topic. That way you've gotten the most out of the homework. You may not remember it all when you get to crunch time - however once you read over it, it will stick so much easier.

People often make the mistake of avoiding the topics they find difficult (if I don't think about it, it isn't a problem), however you need to tackle it head on. Look for resources on the internet/talk to your teacher. Don't ignore it else you'll be frantically searching for the information at crunch time.

There are many more - but here are a few good pointers for now.

Good luck! Enjoy the process.

Quick Reply

Latest