What do you think?
She-Ra
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Absm10)
What do you think?
This could be easily set up through the student unions if this is aimed at students.
Absm10
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by She-Ra)
This could be easily set up through the student unions if this is aimed at students.
Definitely, I know a university in the north east have one from september. I think it should be in every student union and every university with other pathways of recovery/help
username1732491
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Found the article: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-45023075

I’m a bit dubious since AA has a deeply religious foundation rather than a science-based one, though emotional support is for the most part what addicts need anyway, so I imagine that it is probably quite helpful regardless.

My biggest concern is that it would be used as a proselytising tool, attempting to convert those who are the most emotionally vulnerable. It may not be a goal of the program, but certainly as an ex-religious person I know all too well the temptation to turn every social connection into missionary work.

I’m certainly not the first person to have concerns about Alcoholics Anonymous. Really, addiction support for students should be offered by the university rather than outside organisations. We need to change how we percieve addiction as a society though before we can efficiently solve problems like these. We too often punish people for having an addiction which makes them afraid to seek the help they need.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (200)
43.67%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (51)
11.14%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
7.64%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (98)
21.4%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (47)
10.26%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.9%

Watched Threads