The Student Room Group

Commuting

From experience, what is Commuting to uni like? Is it a nightmare? And what are benefits/limitations and weaknesses to it?

Thanks! 😆
Original post by AB823
From experience, what is Commuting to uni like? Is it a nightmare? And what are benefits/limitations and weaknesses to it?

Thanks! 😆

Deoends on how packed together your lectures are, how many hours you have, how far it is, what city (what the transport is like)...

Only benefits I can see are the benefits of wherever you are staying over campus accommodation, e.g. Cost, facilities.

Time is invaluable at university and there's little that ruins a 9 hour day with about 6 lectures when you have to wake up at 6:30 to commute for an 8 o'clock lecture.
As above, commuting is horrible when you find out you have one 1 hour lecture and then it's home time.
Reply 3
It saved me a fortune but it was a pain in the arse at times. Trains round her can't always be relied on, so I'd have to get one an hour earlier than the one I really needed just in case it was cancelled etc (so that I'd have time to make alternative plans - I got stung a few times with cancelled and delayed trains and got sick of taking the risk.)

This'd mean getting in at least an hour before my first thing of the day if the trains ran well, which meant a lot of waiting around.

Also meant I had to get in earlier for exams and stuff. As KDB says, time is valuable and having to be up and out two hours before everyone else can be a bit grim.
Original post by AB823

Thanks! 😆

Absolute pain. Especially when buses or trains change at certain places which means you could miss lectures due to traffic. It's impossible to study as well. Benefit: More Money Compared to living in accommodation. Weakness: Less Money compared to accommodation and less social life at uni. This year I am staying in accommodation. It's also a downfall if you want to study late in the library or if there is a society meeting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending