oslogirlwameme
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have wanted to be a doctor forever and it was my ambition whilst doing my alevels however i was just never quite good enough for undergraduate.

Gcses i got 8As and 3Bs, so not really a typical medical student and for that, I was treated as a joke by many of my alevel teachers

Alevels I did so poorly i think due to my lack of effort (i have all this motivation but ended up not taking school seriously because i thought i’d be ok revising last minute like gcse) I got CCDD. Yes disgraceful really

Uni- well i’m currently studying a healthcare course that requires a LOT of placement. i’ve improved massively in terms of clinical skills and confidence with patients and it’s made me want to peruse medicine even more! I found out my uni offer the GEM, but you must sit the GAMSAT.

I got a 2:1 in my first year and am about to go into second and i’m hoping to push harder and achieve a first.

I looked into gamsat and realised you have to learn all of first year medicine and it’s all basically alevel chem and biology which i got D’s in. I was told i. school i am just not able to apply knowledge and should forget medicine. Also essay writing i suppose i’m mediocre at it , i’m just always average in everything i do that I feel I will end up with a score of 40 no matter what I do.

I just wanted some advice, is it possible to revise so thoroughly that I get a decent score or is the test aimed at those who are naturally good problem solvers and can apply their knowledge (naturally gifted people) ??
the interview shouldn’t be too hard for me as I have tons of experience in hospitals and am generally good with people anyway.

I intend to take the gamsat september 2019 amd perhaps March 2019 too so that I can apply during my third year. But right now I feel kind of hopeless because i’m not a non science cambridge graduate who is naturally gifted and can learn science within a couple months. I have to work x20 harder than the usual person to even come near.
Advertisement
Tommie12
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think you should believe in yourself. You have a dream and if this is TRULY what you want to do, you will achieve it. Yes it seems impossible. But you know it always seems impossible until it is done!

It won't be easy, but if you do revision little and often during your degree, you will improve massively. Also, try contacting the universities you are interested in to see what they say.
hello654321
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Volibear)
The GAMSAT isn't just a test of science. People who don't have any science background or never even did GCSEs (at school), A-levels etc sit it and do just fine. The GAMSAT is usually requested by medical schools which accept non-science applicants and obviously people get in from it. It requires a lot or preparation and practice for most people but it is manageable is you organise your time properly. Also, many people end up have to sit it several times. I sat the March 2018 GAMSAT as a test run, and am sitting it properly in September so if you have the money I would definitely recommend sitting the March sitting and treating it like the actual thing. Even if it doesn't go well, you'll have experienced it which will be useful. People may disagree with this but imo it's a good idea, especially as people complained this year that the past papers were nothing/easier than the actual thing. Lot's of people are selling resources now so maybe have a look round to see what you can get. And you have plenty of time to learn.

Also, I assume you are actually planning to apply to other medical schools right? Applying to just one GEM course isn't really a smart move, even if it is a GAMSAT medical school which more or less guarantees you an interview if you get above the cutoff. Consider applying to some UKCAT medical schools too.
Sorry to overtake this thread but I had a question for this person that I have quoted here!
I will be starting my Biochemistry degree this setember and I also want to apply for graduate medicine. I wanted to ask, because the GAMSAT lasts two years, when should I take it? I think you apply in the September of your final year (so September 2020 for me, right?) I want to take it as early as I can so I have the maximum amount of chances to fix up my score and experience before I apply. Thank you!
Advertisement
oslogirlwameme
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
The GAMSAT isn't just a test of science. People who don't have any science background or never even did GCSEs (at school), A-levels etc sit it and do just fine. The GAMSAT is usually requested by medical schools which accept non-science applicants and obviously people get in from it. It requires a lot or preparation and practice for most people but it is manageable is you organise your time properly. Also, many people end up have to sit it several times. I sat the March 2018 GAMSAT as a test run, and am sitting it properly in September so if you have the money I would definitely recommend sitting the March sitting and treating it like the actual thing. Even if it doesn't go well, you'll have experienced it which will be useful. People may disagree with this but imo it's a good idea, especially as people complained this year that the past papers were nothing/easier than the actual thing. Lot's of people are selling resources now so maybe have a look round to see what you can get. And you have plenty of time to learn.

Also, I assume you are actually planning to apply to other medical schools right? Applying to just one GEM course isn't really a smart move, even if it is a GAMSAT medical school which more or less guarantees you an interview if you get above the cutoff. Consider applying to some UKCAT medical schools too.
yeah i will apply to others. i know people from non science backgrounds get in but they’re ususally very smart and have talent in essay writing and problem solvin. i’m so average i feel like i wouldn’t do well whatever
hello654321
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So assuming you want to start in September 2021 (and send off your application in October 2020), the GAMSAT sittings you could take are September 2020, March 2020, September 2019, and March 2019.

However, if I were you I wouldn't sit it in 2019 unless you really want a test run (but you could still use March 2020 as a test run), because in the chance you get zero offers, you won't be able use it again to re-apply. If it were me I would personally aim for March 2020 as your 'final' score because that way you won't be applying blind and it would carry over for another year. Although, the problem with this is that you'll be bang in the middle of your final year. I sat the GAMSAT in March this year with the aim of it being a test run, but still wanted to revise. Unsurprisingly life and my degree put a stop to those plans and I ended up sitting in with zero revision. I actually did surprisingly well but the score is too dangerous a score to not resit as it's sometimes above the cutoff and sometimes below. Which means I'm sitting it in Sepetember and applying blind with the hope my score goes up. Not fun!
So assuming you want to start in September 2021 (and send off your application in October 2020), the GAMSAT sittings you could take are September 2020, March 2020, September 2019, and March 2019.

However, if I were you I wouldn't sit it in 2019 unless you really want a test run (but you could still use March 2020 as a test run), because in the chance you get zero offers, you won't be able use it again to re-apply. If it were me I would personally aim for March 2020 as your 'final' score because that way you won't be applying blind and it would carry over for another year. Although, the problem with this is that you'll be bang in the middle of your final year. I sat the GAMSAT in March this year with the aim of it being a test run, but still wanted to revise. Unsurprisingly life and my degree put a stop to those plans and I ended up sitting in with zero revision. I actually did surprisingly well but the score is too dangerous a score to not resit as it's sometimes above the cutoff and sometimes below. Which means I'm sitting it in Sepetember and applying blind with the hope my score goes up. Not fun!
Thank you for the tips, so essentially what you’re saying is don’t take any 2019 exams because if I get zero offers I won’t be able to use my score again the year after I finish my degree, but could use the 2019 exam for a test run, and really though I should aim for March 2020 for my final exam score so I don’t go in not knowing my score 👍🏻 May I ask what score you got, and resources and any techniques? Do you think it’s suitbale to start maybe around March 2019 for revsion if I take it the year after?
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (91)
50%
No (91)
50%

Watched Threads