The Student Room Group

Alcoholics Anonymous meetings at university? BBC news

I don't know if anyone saw bbc news last night about the AA meeting at Cardiff university? What do you think? Should more universities offer this?
Yes.
Reply 2
Original post by Just my opinion
Yes.

Completely agree!
Yes.
Reply 4
I think at a university level the effort would be better put in to prevention rather than cure, but something is better than nothing.
Original post by Dheorl
I think at a university level the effort would be better put in to prevention rather than cure, but something is better than nothing.

What like? Already young people are drinking less and taking less drugs. There will always be some for whom drinking becomes a serious addiction.
Original post by Absm10
Should more universities offer this?

Why would universities have anything to do with it?

They're educational institutions. They're not AA and they're not the NHS.
Yes, universities should definitely offer this kind of support more, especially when you take into account the drinking culture that is prevalent at universities and how that can be difficult for recovering alcoholics to cope with.
Surely we can do better than AA, God and abstinence might work for some but it's not for everyone and can be harmful.
Reply 9
Original post by ByEeek
What like? Already young people are drinking less and taking less drugs. There will always be some for whom drinking becomes a serious addiction.

Yes, but I think further reducing that is a lot better than treating those who still fall through the net. Like I say, providing support for those who the system fails is great, but better identification and support of students who are struggling is better IMO. You'll always need both, I'd just like to see more proactive things.
Reply 10
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Why would universities have anything to do with it?

They're educational institutions. They're not AA and they're not the NHS.

What about the conselling service/mental health/lgbtq+ etc. on campus? I believe people who struggle with drug and alcohol use deserve the same opportunity to seek help or support on campus.
Reply 11
Original post by the beer
Surely we can do better than AA, God and abstinence might work for some but it's not for everyone and can be harmful.

There's a university in the North East that will be offering both AA and SMART recovery so two of the main recovery pathways with plans to add more options for students

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending