The Student Room Group

clearing - playing the waiting game?

Basically I have been offered a job with a well known company, something I *think* I would love to do etcetc. But still REALLY want to go to university. May seem silly but it is something I ALWAYS wanted to happen and I now think I really need to leave home, meet new people and leave everything behind. It may seem like I am running away but now my option of moving away has been taken from me I feel VERY trapped within my home and friends.

So I am on the UCAS system but no application has been written or sent off.

My plan of action is to wait until results day, see what's on offer for my 2 A levels and an AS and if I REALLY can't find something go back to college. Sigh.

I spoke to a friend about this and he said it was possible. I would have to apply for clearing on results day and then could get a place. But I am still a little confused about the whole process, what about my reference and personal statement? Also I am not sure how my loans etc would then pan out.

I was thinking of applying NOW but I think my tutor would actually deny me this option as she is a witch, (and sorts out the UCAS at my college damn) also I am still considering my options.

Any help would be greatly apprehciated and thanks for reading this post; which turned into a bit of a rant.
Reply 1
How can you be on the UCAS system but not have an application that has been written or sent off? Maybe you could look on Extra to look for places that you might be interested in that have spare places, and apply for them. Then if you get rejected, you could be eligible for clearing, in which case you'll already have an application sorted. Is there anybody else other than your tutor who you can get to write a reference? She shouldn't deny writing you a reference, but if she does, there must be another teacher who you know of who you could get to write the reference?
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure you need to have written your application long before results day - how else are you going to get your reference, have PS checked etc. Surely it'd be better to write the application now (or right after your exams) so that if there's something you can apply on the day like everyone else would.

However I don't know how much you're going to be able to do with just the two A-levels... HNDs obviously... I guess I never looked at the lower end of the market but most places seem to specify at least X number of points from full A-levels and they'd have to be good ones if you only had two - presumably if you're only doing 2 then the chances of them being As isn't that high?
Reply 3
lastyear@uni
However I don't know how much you're going to be able to do with just the two A-levels... HNDs obviously... I guess I never looked at the lower end of the market but most places seem to specify at least X number of points from full A-levels and they'd have to be good ones if you only had two - presumably if you're only doing 2 then the chances of them being As isn't that high?

I resent that comment :p:
I'm actually heading for A's in my 2 A Levels, I chose all the wrong choices in college and ended up where I am today. It's not that I'm capable I just lacked common sense.

There are a few course which I could go on with my expected points criteria, and they aren't half bad! I mean I thought unless you had really decent grades you would have to do a HND but I have looked around and that's not the case.

Anyway thanks for both your help, I'm going to talk to my tutor after Easter and properly discuss all my options :smile:
Ah I do apologise: in my experience the only people doing 2 A-levels were those that couldn't cope with the workload of three (and obviously most people would rather have BBB and keep the three so they could do the majority of courses than drop one to get 2 As so they tend to be people getting low grades)

Latest

Trending

Trending