What does it take to become a nuclear engineer?

Watch this thread
username4036292
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
What GCSEs and A-levels are required?

In which subject is the bachelors degree required?
Is it compulsory that the bachelors degree has to be in nuclear engineering itself first?

In which subject does the Masters has to be in?
username3989988
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Missradioactive)
What GCSEs and A-levels are required?

In which subject is the bachelors degree required?
Is it compulsory that the bachelors degree has to be in nuclear engineering itself first?

In which subject does the Masters has to be in?
Uranium and an instruction manual?
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
You could take a degree in nuclear engineering, or take some other BSc degree and then do MSci Nuclear Engineering. Maths and Physics A-levels are what you'd need. Sometimes nuclear engineering is offered as a combination with other engineering, e.g. mechanical and nuclear engineering, or materials with nuclear engineering.
I'm sure you could get it without taking specifically nuclear engineering as a degree. General engineering or physics could be sufficient, but it would help to have a master's degree in order to get chartered.
jason0597
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I asked a professor at manchester uni (he had a PhD in nuclear physics) "How can I work in the nuclear energy sector?", and he told me that you take any STEM degree, and then do a postgrad on nuclear energy/engineering.
From my research, the thing that would be best is to do a chemical engineering or mechanical engineering and then specialize by taking nuclear physics modules/reactor design etc. I personally am going to do chemical engineering, because I the way I see it is that nuclear reactors involve a lot of designing that closely resembles the design of a chemical plant.

For example, at Cambridge you can do Mechanical Engineering as an undergraduate, and then take the "Nuclear Energy" graduate course.
Or in Imperial College London, you can take Chemical Engineering and, even as an undergraduate, you can specialize in nuclear engineering.

Where do you want to work when you're finished? I personally want to make MSRs (Molten salt reactors) a reality and help with that sector, hence I've sent a couple of emails to companies that are actively working on MSRs.
username4036292
Rep:
(Original post by jason0597)
I asked a professor at manchester uni (he had a PhD in nuclear physics) "How can I work in the nuclear energy sector?", and he told me that you take any STEM degree, and then do a postgrad on nuclear energy/engineering.
From my research, the thing that would be best is to do a chemical engineering or mechanical engineering and then specialize by taking nuclear physics modules/reactor design etc. I personally am going to do chemical engineering, because I the way I see it is that nuclear reactors involve a lot of designing that closely resembles the design of a chemical plant.

For example, at Cambridge you can do Mechanical Engineering as an undergraduate, and then take the "Nuclear Energy" graduate course.
Or in Imperial College London, you can take Chemical Engineering and, even as an undergraduate, you can specialize in nuclear engineering.

Where do you want to work when you're finished? I personally want to make MSRs a reality and help with that sector, hence I've sent a couple of emails to companies that are actively working on MSRs.
Thanks a lot ! Actually, I want a job at any space agency.

So, can somebody with at least 5A*s in GCSE, 3As in A-level, a bachelors degree in chemical engineering or mechanical engineering and finally, Masters in nuclear engineering, get a job in space agencies (preferably European Space Agency)?
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago

So, can somebody with at least 5A*s in GCSE, 3As in A-level, a bachelors degree in chemical engineering or mechanical engineering and finally, Masters in nuclear engineering, get a job in space agencies (preferably European Space Agency)?
The jobs at ESA are all posted online.
username4036292
Rep:
(Original post by Duncan2012)
The jobs at ESA are all posted online.
Thank you
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago

Does ESA ever have vacancies for nuclear engineers? BAE Systems and EDF are more usual employers.

Why do you want to be a nuclear engineer? What do you think a nuclear engineer does?

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (16)
28.57%
Take a gap year (14)
25%
Resit my exams (9)
16.07%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (7)
12.5%
I don't know yet (7)
12.5%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
5.36%

Watched Threads