What exactly is freshers flu?

Watch
bluebells1
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Sorry to be naive but is it an actual sick bug that goes round or meant more metaphorically and does everyone get it??
have
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by bluebells1)
Sorry to be naive but is it an actual sick bug that goes round or meant more metaphorically and does everyone get it??
It's not specific bug, but the fact that you're gonna be in contact with people from all across the world, who bring all their pathogens with them (that they're already immune to) and you're probably gonnna catch something.
And yeah most people get it.
esralled
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
You'll find out quickly enough.

It's what you feel after a week of being in a new environment, with new people, after excessive heavy drinking. It's absolute hell and I look forward to it every year.
It's****ingWOODY
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
It's a slang term for a hangover after engaging in alcohol-related freshman activities.
Milax1x
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I think it’s an umbrella term for lots of different illnesses as you’ll be with lots of different people from different areas outside of your local herd immunity.

But a specific example is meningitis W which you can get vaccines against as it can be fatal
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
You might have a bit of a cold after drinking lots and exchanging bodily fluids with people from all over the place. Hardly "absolute hell".
DrawTheLine
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by bluebells1)
I got a cold about a month after starting uni.
nexttime
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Gonorrhoea. Its gonorrhoea.
bekahw96
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
It's basically just some kinda bad cold that everyone seems to have in semester 1. Sometimes it lasts longer, I'm pretty sure I had it for the whole of first year :laugh: It's just from meeting lots of new people, drinking a lot, or lack of sleep (if you chose!). Nothing to worry about
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
it's because your immune system is down from all the stress, and you're all sitting on top of each other in an overcrowded lecture theatre because kids actually come to class at this time. just make sure you double-up on the vitamin C.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
It's basically when you go out a lot during Freshers, drink lots of alcohol (which lowers the immune system), survive on nothing but junk food and Pot Noodles (so not much nutrition or vitamins) and spend a lot of time around your flatmates who are all doing the same. Just a term for a cold that everyone seems to get within a few weeks of starting uni.
username2269391
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
The fresher's flu has been around since the 1200s and once killed 75% of Europe's population.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (67)
33.5%
Yes - a trusted person (54)
27%
No (52)
26%
I'm not sure (27)
13.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed