The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
~Sam~
What subjects are u doing and what grades are u predicted (Lol, I'm trying to size up the competition!) Medicine and English are quite a contrast, so I can see how it would be impossible to write a PS for both of them

I did 3 A level courses last year, getting 3As and 1B at AS simultaneously. I didn't really want to go to university at the time, though, which is why I'm applying this year instead. I made the most of my free year to do a couple more courses, though, to ensure that my application is as good as possible (I have something of a detrimental factor hanging over my head, which I won't go into detail about, but I have to compensate). Am predicted an additional 2 As.
LS.

And I didn't mention in my other post, that the 500 words around the maximum amount with paragraphs. I guess you could miss paragraphs out completely and fit another 100 words in... combind that with the txt-speak and you could probably fit on 700 words.

You mean indents instead of line spacing?
Reply 22
LS.
'tis a pity you can't predict admission tutors.

For what it's worth, I like the honesty and the humour of the paragraph. I guess whether you include it is down to whether you want to have a more 'original' PS or go for the usual formula (and whether you want to cut your word count).

And I didn't mention in my other post, that the 500 words around the maximum amount with paragraphs. I guess you could miss paragraphs out completely and fit another 100 words in... combind that with the txt-speak and you could probably fit on 700 words.

Alrighty, I'll have a go. Let's see if I cram it all in, without it being microscopic.
Reply 23
endeavour
You probably already know but graduate entry to medicine is very competitive and you may need a more relevant science degree to be eligible for some courses I think.

I'll cross that bridge when I come to it - I'm not one for long-term planning.
Reply 24
endeavour
You mean indents instead of line spacing?

Hmm... I don't think you got my post. Unless you think it's a good idea to indent but still use txt-speak.

If you want to check what the PS will look like at a reduced size, try PQ's suggestion on this thread. I hope the AT's have good eyesight... (this is assuming they actually read them).
Reply 25
I always thought you were older than that Whitey :eek:
Oxford or Cambridge then? :biggrin:
The paragraph is funny and so......you, but it does make you come across as very very arrogant (true, but you don't want tutors to think that :biggrin:)
Reply 26
Invisible
Why don't you apply using the EAS? Much more space with that apparently.

I understand how to do it this way, and have already filled most of it in. No real need to change, I'm sure I can make it fit some way. The real purpose of this thread was the issue of humour, but I've decided to leave my joke in with a slight modification (removing the 'whipping boy' bit, as someone recommened). Hence, thread = erroneous.
Reply 27
Acaila
I always thought you were older than that Whitey :eek:
Oxford or Cambridge then? :biggrin:
The paragraph is funny and so......you, but it does make you come across as very very arrogant (true, but you don't want tutors to think that :biggrin:)

Old? I just have wisdom beyond my years (premature senility, some people call it). Arrogance is a virtue, my dear. I'm sure that they don't want some namby-pamby self-hater, feebly stating how inept and humble they are, but rather someone who recognises their capabilites, and has the potential to capitalise upon them and become an asset to the university.
Reply 28
Invisible
One of your sentences has far too many commas in it (goes on for too long) and has a comma before the "and". Suggest you check that out.

I've already combed for grammar, but thanks for pointing it out anyway.
Mr White
I've already combed for grammar, but thanks for pointing it out anyway.

Which college are you applying to? :smile:
I'm applying to University College.

Good luck with your application. :biggrin:
Reply 30
Invisible
Which college are you applying to? :smile:
I'm applying to University College.

Good luck with your application. :biggrin:

Oriel is still my first choice. Thanks, good luck to you too- hopefully we'll be competing against each other in the boat race in a short space of time. :smile:
Reply 31
Mr White
Old? I just have wisdom beyond my years (premature senility, some people call it). Arrogance is a virtue, my dear. I'm sure that they don't want some namby-pamby self-hater, feebly stating how inept and humble they are, but rather someone who recognises their capabilites, and has the potential to capitalise upon them and become an asset to the university.

Well you are obviously a wise young bloke {pats Whitey on the head}. I'm sure they don't want someone who's going on about how they're not really all that good, but they may not appreciate your caustic sense of humour as we do. :smile:
Are you applying to Oxford then? :frown:
Mr White
Oriel is still my first choice. Thanks, good luck to you too- hopefully we'll be competing against each other in the boat race in a short space of time. :smile:

Cool, good choice, I rate that college highly from my visit there. Yep, boat race it is. :wink:

So, have you completed full A-Levels then, or just AS' and are you currently on your gap year? Anything decent planned?
Reply 33
Acaila
Well you are obviously a wise young bloke {pats Whitey on the head}. I'm sure they don't want someone who's going on about how they're not really all that good, but they may not appreciate your caustic sense of humour as we do. :smile:
Are you applying to Oxford then? :frown:

Aye. Oh well, I suppose that either the admissions people accept me as I am - complete with vaguely amusing jokes, or not at all. :smile:

What stage of the education system are you currently at?
Reply 34
Invisible
Cool, good choice, I rate that college highly from my visit there. Yep, boat race it is. :wink:

So, have you completed full A-Levels then, or just AS' and are you currently on your gap year? Anything decent planned?

Well, I'm finishing the AS I started last year. Also, in order to get a full grade, I'm doing AS and A-level Philosophy courses simultaneously. So its more or less full-time education still for me. I'm not complaining, though, it means my mother can't force me to get a job. :smile:
Reply 35
Mr White
Aye. Oh well, I suppose that either the admissions people accept me as I am - complete with vaguely amusing jokes, or not at all. :smile:

What stage of the education system are you currently at?

Hehe just out of interest, have a guess, since I got yours wrong :biggrin:.

I think jokes would probably come across better at interview so you may still find them an advantage :smile:.
Mr White
Well, I'm finishing the AS I started last year. Also, in order to get a full grade, I'm doing AS and A-level Philosophy courses simultaneously. So its more or less full-time education still for me. I'm not complaining, though, it means my mother can't force me to get a job. :smile:

So you don't have 5 full A-Levels in History, English, Biology, Psychology and Chemistry then? :confused:
Reply 37
Invisible
So you don't have 5 full A-Levels in History, English, Biology, Psychology and Chemistry then? :confused:

*cough* Less said about my U, the better. And psychology was only an AS last year. Sorry, I'll have to update my profile, I haven't edited it for at least a year. I've grown at least two inches as well...
Reply 38
Acaila
Hehe just out of interest, have a guess, since I got yours wrong :biggrin:.

I think jokes would probably come across better at interview so you may still find them an advantage :smile:.

Hmm. Your profile says you were born in 1987, so I assume A-level or the equivalent?

I'll try and fit in some actual discourse about literature in between the comedy routine I'll be performing at my interview... :smile:
Mr White
*cough* Less said about my U, the better. And psychology was only an AS last year. Sorry, I'll have to update my profile, I haven't edited it for at least a year. I've grown at least two inches as well...

U?!! Huh?! :eek:

You told me that you got:

History, Psychology, Biology, English Literature - A
Chemistry - B

And those were to full A-Level. So you've only done the AS year so far, like me?

Latest

Trending

Trending