The Student Room Group

A-level Revelations

:hi:
Right, year 13, upper 6th, A2, whatever it is.
It's happening.

But hang on, wtf is this even? Well firstly, thanks for clicking and secondly...
Let's suppose you're new on TSR or something, or you maybe spend more time in the Model House of Commons forum than Dennis Skinner has spent in the real thing and you've decided to click on one of those threads that keep popping up in 'Latest'. That's cool.
So here's what this is meant to be about:
It's a kind of academic diary, except it's meant to be useful both to me and hopefully to the people reading it. So I'll try to post things aside from just what happens to me relative to my life. Like, if I make a revision sheet for people at my school I'll probably post it here. And if I learn an absolute banger on the guitar I'll post that too. It should be enjoyable to read, basically.

So anyway, you, random person that doesn't know me on here, have some questions.

Who are you m8? :eyeball:
I aint telling you my actual name (at least one of you knows a bit too much) so carry on with Sinnoh (I think it's such a cool username I'd want to be known as that). I'm some year 13 who's done well in school so far but this year will be a testing one, in two senses of the word. On this website you usually find me either taking the piss on casual threads, and giving wrong advice on the maths forum. I do enjoy helping others out with academic stuff though. I'm pretty fond of ancient history and music aside from the subjects I already take and enjoy. Grade 8 in classical guitar too, I've been playing guitar for nearly 10 years now.

What's with the title? :dry:
In short, I listen to too much Muse. I thought this sounded cool (it's got that assonance with the L) and the initial title (Sinnoh In Year 13) seemed a bit self-centered and really really unoriginal. But yeah, maybe I'll realise something about myself, about school, about education, at some point. And that'll be a revelation, technically. If you want to go with some biblical metaphors, I think revelations is the last book in there and I'm in the last year of school.

What A-levels?:smartass:
Further maths - (when I say further maths, I mean maths and further maths. It should be really really obvious and yet people have actually asked if I'm not doing maths A-level when I say I'm doing further maths)
Physics
History - Civil rights in the USA, Russia 1894-1941 and Tudor England 1547-1603
French AS - but we don't talk about that one here :angry:

What GCSE grades did you get?:sly:
9, 8, 7, six A*s, A, B, C. The 9 is in maths, the C is in Further Pure Maths iGCSE. Don't feel like writing the rest out.
One of those was French which I did in 2016 because I used to speak French at home until I was 8 or something so I'm alright at French, and that A was in Astronomy which I took in 2018.

What are ya applying for? :lolwut:
Physics... now. I was dead-set on aerospace engineering for like 6 months, but I'm happy that I switched.

Why do you even need this you have 4A* predicted you absolute melt?:damnmate:
To stroke my ego of course
Think of it more as "Get your grades" than "Grow your grades". The assumption my teachers had when giving me these grades is that I would do enough work to attain them in the real thing. This is because they are not aware of my *****y work ethic that I have discovered since the start of term. It did me well in year 12 where it didn't matter so much, but now there's actual stuff to do and deadlines to meet. I rarely do work at home and I'm not an actual freak at maths like some people.
Also you know, I guess it would be nice to look back at this in the future. Because whatever does happen, you cannon know in that moment whether it is good or bad for you.

University Application Info:

Firm: Imperial College London - Physics MSci, A*A*A
Insurance: University of Southampton - Physics with Space Science MPhys, AAA or AABC

Predicted Grades:

History - A* (expected A/A*)

Physics - A* (expected A*)

Maths - A* (expected A*)

Further maths - A* (expected A/A*) :woo:

Index of actual updates:

Click here

Mock exams:
Maths - A*
Further maths - B
Physics - B
History - A
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sinnoh

Okay. It's August and that's kind of early to start, but whatever. This is my sort of academic blog/diary for year 13, or upper 6th as it's called at my school.

What are my A-levels?

Maths, further maths, physics, history. I'm also taking French AS over 2 years, off-timetable.

What are my predicted grades?

I don't know :K: - I've had "progress exams" and we get told our "progress grades" every month and they're pretty much all A*s, but there are no actual predicted grades as of yet. Okay, so it's more like "Keep your grades" than "Grow your grades".

What course & universities am I going to apply to?

MSci Physics/Physical NatSci. Imperial and Cambridge I'll be applying for definitely, the others I'm less sure. Maybe Southampton or Birmingham.

What am I going to be writing about?

Not really sure. Apparently you can win a prize for posting a picture of your desk or something so expect that. I'll probably do formal weekly updates, posting random **** in between.

Here's something on my mind actually. It feels pretty weird that this is my last year of school. Not even scary - just weird :s-smilie:. It always seemed so far off but this is happening and it's real, I'm finally in that position. What's been normality for the past 14 years will be at an end by this time next year.
Well, to be fair, I have a feeling that university won't be drastically different. I think I know what to expect. (!RemindMe 2 years)

...so who wants to be @'ed for some reason?

Consider this GYG followed :tongue:. I can't believe your doing 4 A-Levels and an AS, I barely had time for 3 :biggrin:. What are your plans after uni, if you've thought about that?

I've just finished my first year at uni, and tbh it isn't that different, but it honestly is amazing, was s******g it at first, but i'm so glad i went :h:

Good luck with your applications next year!!!
Reply 2
Original post by BR260799
Consider this GYG followed :tongue:. I can't believe your doing 4 A-Levels and an AS, I barely had time for 3 :biggrin:. What are your plans after uni, if you've thought about that?

I've just finished my first year at uni, and tbh it isn't that different, but it honestly is amazing, was s******g it at first, but i'm so glad i went :h:

Good luck with your applications next year!!!

Thanks! I might do a postgrad, I might not. I'm thinking engineering or something like that, but engineering as a uni degree doesn't appeal to me that much.
Original post by Sinnoh
Thanks! I might do a postgrad, I might not. I'm thinking engineering or something like that, but engineering as a uni degree doesn't appeal to me that much.

Nice, I may do a masters depending on the work experience I get next year. Have you thought about your personal statement yet?
oooh can I be tagged?
out of interest (I’m considering doing very similar a-levels from September) why did you pick them?
Reply 5
Things that need doing:

Revision of Year 12 content. I haven't done any.

Preparatory reading for History coursework that begins in September (Haven't decided on the title)

My personal statement needs starting. I've read two books but I need to finish one.

@ me pls
count me in bossman
Reply 8
why are you super effective against me :frown:
Reply 9
Original post by Sinnoh

Okay. It's August and that's kind of early to start, but whatever. This is my sort of academic blog/diary for year 13, or upper 6th as it's called at my school.

What are my A-levels?
[ul]
[li]Maths, further maths, physics, history. I'm also taking French AS over 2 years, off-timetable.[/li]
[/ul]
[ul]
[li]I don't know :K: - I've had "progress exams" and we get told our "progress grades" every month and they're pretty much all A*s, but there are no actual predicted grades as of yet. Okay, so it's more like "Keep your grades" than "Grow your grades".[/li]
[/ul]
[ul]
[li]MSci Physics/Physical NatSci. Imperial and Cambridge I'll be applying for definitely, the others I'm less sure. Maybe Southampton or Birmingham.[/li]
[/ul]
[ul]
[li]Not really sure. Apparently you can win a prize for posting a picture of your desk or something so expect that. I'll probably do formal weekly updates, posting random **** in between.[/li]
[/ul]

Here's something on my mind actually. It feels pretty weird that this is my last year of school. Not even scary - just weird :s-smilie:. It always seemed so far off but this is happening and it's real, I'm finally in that position. What's been normality for the past 14 years will be at an end by this time next year.
Well, to be fair, I have a feeling that university won't be drastically different. I think I know what to expect. (!RemindMe 2 years)

...so who wants to be @'ed for some reason?

@ me obviously
Reply 10
Original post by Toastiekid
oooh can I be tagged?
out of interest (I’m considering doing very similar a-levels from September) why did you pick them?

Well physics was the science that I was enjoying the most, maths I felt I really ought to do because I'd already done the Edexcel Further Pure Maths IGCSE which gave me a pretty significant advantage (I was initially doing single maths and switched to further after a month) and history I pretty much couldn't bear to drop. I also took a scholarship for French and History which meant I had to do them. Initially I was doing the full French A-level but in January the penny dropped that I f***ing hated it. Initially wanting to drop it, I instead compromised on the AS.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 11
Added the tags :h:
Reply 12
Original post by BR260799
Nice, I may do a masters depending on the work experience I get next year. Have you thought about your personal statement yet?

A little bit. I've made some notes on what to mention but haven't started writing it.
Reply 13
I don't have permission to watch my own thread which is posted by me in the forum that I'm CA of.
Original post by Sinnoh

What are my A-levels?

Maths, further maths, physics, history. I'm also taking French AS over 2 years, off-timetable.

I don't know :K: - I've had "progress exams" and we get told our "progress grades" every month and they're pretty much all A*s, but there are no actual predicted grades as of yet. Okay, so it's more like "Keep your grades" than "Grow your grades".

MSci Physics/Physical NatSci. Imperial and Cambridge I'll be applying for definitely, the others I'm less sure. Maybe Southampton or Birmingham.

Not really sure. Apparently you can win a prize for posting a picture of your desk or something so expect that. I'll probably do formal weekly updates, posting random **** in between.

Tags:

Spoiler

I'll be following along!

It's important to set some goals for yourself.

Sounds as if you should go with straight A*s! :wink:
Original post by Sinnoh
I don't have permission to watch my own thread which is posted by me in the forum that I'm CA of.

Oh my days! :laugh: I'm really sorry but I have no idea how to help you.
Anyways, I'm following this GYG so if you do have a tag list, please feel free to put me on it :yes:
Reply 16
Updated the tags, managed to watch the thread by using the mobile site.
please tag me! xx
I think this is the first 'keep your grades' I've ever read so this should be fun :biggrin:
Reply 19
Original post by Gabzinc
why are you super effective against me :frown:

More like why are you weak to me

Quick Reply

Latest