The Student Room Group

Stay away from Northampton; Racism/discrimination within Uni, Jobs, Town, etc.

Hi there,

I'm am going to be writing about my personal experiences that I have gone through being in Northampton. I will be doing a blog series on here which outlines topics of discrimination/racism and the dysfunctional ways of this place.
There is just no hope in evolving in Northampton as a human being who wants to prosper in life. I will be talking about my experiences when facing the struggles of how the University operates, to the discrimination when it comes to applying to jobs to even a day to day basis of just being out in this town.

Now before I start this is my subjective view towards what I have gone through but, I know people who have experienced at least one thing that I experienced, and surely anyone who studies at Northampton University has probably gone through something too.

Below I have attached a discussion which someone pointed out there experience of discrimination;
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1956849

"Hi, I have been to northampton for my PhD. Trust me or not, their teachers are racists, ignorant, and full of hate. They used to give me a hate speech regarding my faith, by saying that you know these girls, who change their religion to Islam, don't know what happen to them. The community is somehow similar. Once, during the Diwali, the bus driver turned around and told me in a very arrogant way that if I am enjoying the firework and does the noise make me comfortable. I left that uni and moved to a uni in London. Much, much better. Not even, I have finished with my degree, I got a job in London too. My teachers always appreciated me and loved me.Mysuggestion, please don't go there. I am not the only victim. I remember a Black, Homosexual teacher at the campus, once told me regarding the hate. Then, an Indian student, I know, who joined them and left them in his second year, due to the hate. A year ago, during my job interviews, I met a Turkish man, who went for job interview there, despite his experience, publications, and level of knowledge, he wasn't called for the second level interview. According to him, all the immigrants were sent home before the second stage interview and only White English were allowed for the second stage interview. All the interviews were conducted by one of the senior staff member. Better to choose another uni, especially, if you are not White English "
I would also like to say after this blog series , I hope to at least advise those who are currently here studying or even those who are planning to come here whether it's your first choice for the next academic year or through clearing to give you the heads up to what you may experience.The towns slogan is ‘Let Yourself Grow’ - this town will not let you excel at all. This town will only allow "yourself" to "grow" into a state which won't allow you get far in life and I am being brutally honest.

Scroll to see replies

Where is the sex scandal involving Northampton I wonder
Reply 2
I will be going through as follows;

The Town in general - discrimination and lack of ambition it provides.

Racism - discrimination that I have faced in such scenarios such as applying for a job and the struggles to find a place to rent.

University - lack of communication and formality, ie - moving to a campus which is in a residential area to the lack of communication , lack of help from personal tutors and uni in general.

Jobs - Being discriminated just by having an ethnic name, to even walking into an interview and being treated like I am worthless

Finding a place to rent - being interoraged with questions and being racially profiled.

Lack of Ambition - no motivation, dysfunctional ways

Council - where exactly the money goes towards funding, etc
Oh boy, this could get tasty.
Reply 4
Original post by hello_shawn
Where is the sex scandal involving Northampton I wonder

I haven't heard anything in regards to that but , if there's anything you wanna add feel free!

I'm just going through personal experiences that I have gone through and also what others have too
Reply 5
i'm sorry you had to go through that. That's disgusting behaviour. Being a minority is just hard sometimes...
My cousins have lived in Northampton most of their lives and I haven't heard them ever talk about racism they've experienced.
Reply 7
Original post by noey123
i'm sorry you had to go through that. That's disgusting behaviour. Being a minority is just hard sometimes...

Thank you. It can be very difficult, Northampton as a town outlines the fact that if you are a person of colour then you cannot enjoy let alone succeed in this place.
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
My cousins have lived in Northampton most of their lives and I haven't heard them ever talk about racism they've experienced.

This is based on my personal experience , I’m not saying everyone has or should expect to have receive this treatment.
Reply 9
Now before I go ahead I just want to outline the fact once more that this is based on my own experience, as not everyone is going to or have gone through what I have faced
Original post by Andrew97

Just gonna be real honest here

I know of someone who lives in Northampton and they have never had any of the issues mentioned in this thread.

When I have been in Northampton myself (and my secondary school was in Northampton) I never experienced these issues.

Where I live now, which is not in Northampton itself, but is in Northamptonshire, I have not had any of these issues.

I think this might just be an isolated case rather than commonplace.
Original post by spotify95
I know of someone who lives in Northampton and they have never had any of the issues mentioned in this thread.

When I have been in Northampton myself (and my secondary school was in Northampton) I never experienced these issues.

Where I live now, which is not in Northampton itself, but is in Northamptonshire, I have not had any of these issues.

I think this might just be an isolated case rather than commonplace.

My views are coming from someone who wasn't born or raised in Northampton. So the way you may have seen the place is different to how others that are coming from outside of Northampton perceive it.
Thanks for this, its very important that we are open about bigotry and inequality in higher education institutes. I've just felt that the whole concept of uni being a place that promotes social mobility and that you can just survive without class capital and racial privilege etc is a lie. I am lucky to go to a uni in the capital that is quite multi-cultural, but I can believe OP's experience, definitely.
I am sorry to hear about your experiences. I would hope that in this day and age, racism is less of a problem. Unfortunately, it still occurs, and I am surprised to see it come from university staff who should promote tolerance and fairness.
The Town in general - discrimination and lack of ambition it provides.

I will start off with Northampton town, this place is not friendly at all. You could be minding you're own business and somebody will stare at you with disgust or you are below them. The amount of times I have been causally been walking around town and someone cuts their eyes at my or just gives me a rudely stare it's not nice. For any student that wants to enjoy life in another town, I would not suggest Northampton. The place is very outdated - why would the council borrow £330m yes, £330m to build a council which is now being built in a residential area. Firstly the area where the new campus will be is very narrow. It is also right next to a lake which is a real hazard - I don't even want to think of the possible outcomes that could happen when a lake is right next to a uni without any barriers built around it. If the council was wise they would have just extended the current campuses that they have and just expand it. I have walked around waterside and I can tell you the area will be overpopulated because they haven't taken into consideration of the uni's capacity. How can the uni's new campus only have a space of 80 car park spaces - this topic is for another time. But reverting back to my point £330m is spent on a new campus but no money has been used to revamp the town centre. This place is supposed to be user friendly but where exactly within the town centre can students hang out - other than mc Donald's. When you visit other places you get a feel of an refreshing atmosphere and Northampton is the complete opposite.
I am sorry to hear about your experiences. I would hope that in this day and age, racism is less of a problem. Unfortunately, it still occurs, and I am surprised to see it come from university staff who should promote tolerance and fairness.

Thank you. Unfortunately racism will never end, we can try to promote things to prevent it but there's ignorant people out there that will not help to tackle an ongoing issue.
Original post by MJlover
Thanks for this, its very important that we are open about bigotry and inequality in higher education institutes. I've just felt that the whole concept of uni being a place that promotes social mobility and that you can just survive without class capital and racial privilege etc is a lie. I am lucky to go to a uni in the capital that is quite multi-cultural, but I can believe OP's experience, definitely.

Thanks. I think it's a good way to show that there is a lot of inequality within higher education - they tend to focus on the educational side and gaining tuition fees but don't actually know what students may be suffering - it's not nice at all. I am glad you got to a uni that expresses multi-cultralism - I wish Northampton could adapt more with multi cultures
Original post by Andrew97

That's pretty much your contribution to any controversial thread. I wonder.
Reply 19
why would the council borrow £330m yes, £330m to build a council which is now being built in a residential area.

You say there's a lack of ambition, and then criticise a £330 million investment? Also it's the university that has raised the finance for this, not the council. The university and the council are seperate entities.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending