The Student Room Group

Should I repeat Bachelor at the age of 32?

I know studies have no age limits, and I believe in it too.
I always wanted to do Masters and be in educated people categories (as they always impressed me) but cos some circumstances I couldn't continue my studies.

Problem is, would I be able to get job offers after Masters or BA, as I will be around 37/38 years old. They need job experience and young people.

My life has already been wasted, and sometimes I feel so down. I want to be a creative artist in any design field, I am thinking to do graphic design. Any suggestion would be helpful for me. Thanks
You might find it harder but it won't be impossible for you to find work after graduation. A lot of people make career changes later in life. If you complete your studies well, as well as using your time to get relevant work experience and making useful contacts, there is nothing to say that you will not get a job. Also, you can use your previous work experience if there are certain transferrable skills that are useful in your application.
Reply 2
Original post by s4simi
I always wanted to do Masters and be in educated people categories (as they always impressed me) but cos some circumstances I couldn't continue my studies.

Problem is, would I be able to get job offers after Masters or BA, as I will be around 37/38 years old. They need job experience and young people.

My life has already been wasted, and sometimes I feel so down. I want to be a creative artist in any design field, I am thinking to do graphic design. Any suggestion would be helpful for me. Thanks

Hello,

If you already have an honours degree (your post isn't entirely clear?), you won't receive student loans funding for a second bachelors - regardless of how you paid for your previous degree, even if you funded it yourself. The exception to this is if you undertake a part time degree in a STEM subject, where you can receive fees-only support. There are also different funding rules for medicine and some health subjects, as well as teaching an social work. But graphic design would be a no.

If it's masters you're interested in (although your post title refers to repeating bachelors), substantial loans are now available.

And you're definitely not too old.

Good luck.
Reply 3
Original post by notatall
Hello,

If you already have an honours degree (your post isn't entirely clear?), you won't receive student loans funding for a second bachelors - regardless of how you paid for your previous degree, even if you funded it yourself. The exception to this is if you undertake a part time degree in a STEM subject, where you can receive fees-only support. There are also different funding rules for medicine and some health subjects, as well as teaching an social work. But graphic design would be a no.

If it's masters you're interested in (although your post title refers to repeating bachelors), substantial loans are now available.

And you're definitely not too old.

Good luck.

I am sorry that my post was not clear for you. I did bachelors from an Open University of my country, but it was worthless and 2years only. That's why I am thinking to do bachelors(Hons) this time from an International accredits University Online and in Graphic Design. So I can easily get admission in Masters.
Reply 4
Original post by Jeblee
I'm 33 and starting an undergraduate to change career. If you don't do it now it will always be something you regret, and you still have at least another 30 years left of your working life to fill before retirement so plenty of time to become experienced. A lot of graphic designers work freelance so you may not have to take it as far as university, find some art colleges, build up a portfolio but if a degree is what you want to gain then I would go for it.

Thank you so much for taking time to advice me i really appreciate and definitely gonna do it. 👍🏻 good luck to u
Original post by s4simi

Know some who wasted their life till they knew what a career they will do. Those catched up the degrees in later ages, finished their studies with 33 or 35, had hardly work experience before graduated. And all of those got a job. So, yes, it is possible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending