The Student Room Group

I want to study medicine but..

Thing is, ever since I’ve considered doing medicine, it’s stuck. I can’t go a day without thinking about doing it and the more I learn about medicine courses/being a doctor ect the more it makes me desperate to do it! I’ve started to really try hard at school to make sure I can get the gcses I need but.. I feel like it’s a long journey and I’m so stressed about actually getting there. I know I shouldn’t worry bc I’m only young ect ect but I just cant see myself doing anything else. I feel like only prestigious students who go to grammar schools and get like a*s consistently will go for medicine and I feel so intimidated! I want to be the same idk ‘league’ as them but I’d be the first in my family to study anything like it. The whole getting gcses at A/A* , then getting A/A* at a levels (which would be science a levels) , then sitting the UKCAT then writing a personal statement then sitting through interviews and MMIs jUST to get to med school. Like I’m both motivated and terrified bc I wouldn’t say I’m the type of person that would do medicine. Idk I want it so bad but it also scares me! I just want to look into the future to see if what I’m doing is actually going anywhere..
I go to a grammar school,trust me there’s plenty of people in my school who struggle to get into medicine.It’s a rigorous process but you sound like you love it much more than other people ive heard speaking avout it,just go for it and if not go for another science based degree.
Original post by liatanner
Thing is, ever since I’ve considered doing medicine, it’s stuck. I can’t go a day without thinking about doing it and the more I learn about medicine courses/being a doctor ect the more it makes me desperate to do it! I’ve started to really try hard at school to make sure I can get the gcses I need but.. I feel like it’s a long journey and I’m so stressed about actually getting there. I know I shouldn’t worry bc I’m only young ect ect but I just cant see myself doing anything else. I feel like only prestigious students who go to grammar schools and get like a*s consistently will go for medicine and I feel so intimidated! I want to be the same idk ‘league’ as them but I’d be the first in my family to study anything like it. The whole getting gcses at A/A* , then getting A/A* at a levels (which would be science a levels) , then sitting the UKCAT then writing a personal statement then sitting through interviews and MMIs jUST to get to med school. Like I’m both motivated and terrified bc I wouldn’t say I’m the type of person that would do medicine. Idk I want it so bad but it also scares me! I just want to look into the future to see if what I’m doing is actually going anywhere..

Hey,

I never went to a private/grammar school, didn't have straight A's and also didn't have any family members in medical fields (or any high end field). I am now in my 3rd year of a medical degree. I aint gonna lie to you and say the admission process is easy, it's probably one of the hardest things I have had to do so far. BUT it can be done and you will never know unless you go for it. There's no point stressing yourself about it now. Just go about it day by day trying your absolute best and in a few years you never know where you could end up. You might even change your mind by then!

Good luck :smile:
Reply 3
Thankyou so much! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest