The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Discrete Maths Laptop?

I’ve been researching laptops for the past few weeks and have just been flip flopping between just getting a Mac or going for Windows but I simply don’t know enough about the course I’m planning on doing. If anyone is at Warwick studying Discrete Maths, what laptop do you have/recommend? I know in the first year we learn Java which is easier to run on a Windows laptop but is a Mac still worth it if I’ll be doing Linux later in the course?
Reply 1
I just graduated from DM, coming back for a fourth year in CS. I've had a generic Windows laptop for all three years and didn't really have a problem. In first year, I did all coursework in the DCS computer labs on their Linux machines (surrounded by coursemates also doing their Java "robot maze"/"witter" courseworks). Second and third years I did most of the work on aforementioned Windows laptop and didn't have too many issues. It's likely that Macs will be harder to use, and in my opinion are more expensive for worse hardware but either way you can do courseworks 24/7 (a few long nights were had) in the computer labs on-site.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Quick Reply

Latest