The Student Room Group

My dad wants to kick me out of the house but my mum wants me to stay

Hi,

So the situation is that my my dad wants to kick me out of the house but my mum wants me to stay.

I'm 25 and will be starting a PhD in October on a low stipend.

My dad pays for the bills in the house.

The house is jointly on both my parents names.

I know for sure that if both my parents wanted to kick me out of the house that I would have to go in an instant. However I am unclear about where I stand legally when one parent wants to me stay and the other wants me to leave.

Scroll to see replies

well I don't believe there is a legal obligation considering you're 25 and not a minor, you could live elsewhere so I don't think there's a legal responsibility for your parents
Reply 2
Original post by fxlloutboyy
well I don't believe there is a legal obligation considering you're 25 and not a minor, you could live elsewhere so I don't think there's a legal responsibility for your parents

My question is different
Original post by Anonymous
My question is different

okay what do you mean?
Reply 4
okay what do you mean?

My question in the OP is whether I can still stay in the house if my mum wants me to stay but my dad does not.
My question in the OP is whether I can still stay in the house if my mum wants me to stay but my dad does not.

I still think you don't have any legal stance as you're an adult, unless you're a vulnerable adult
Is there a reason why you're still living at home? Maybe you need a bit of a kick out the door if you're scared of becoming independent. Have you lived away from home before (university doesn't really count). Do you contribute to the household? Your parents are entitled to some time by themselves after everything they've done for you.

You should try to have a calm and mature discussion with your dad. Don't inflame the situation by involving the law; it would be a very *****ish thing to do and wouldn't help matters.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
I still think you don't have any legal stance as you're an adult, unless you're a vulnerable adult

According to the top answer here : https://www.quora.com/Can-I-kick-my-adult-child-out-of-the-house-against-my-spouses-wishes

both the parents need to agree on kicking their son out of the house. Howwver that's in the US, I can't find anything about whether it's the same in the UK. It would seem kind of pivotal for the parents to need to agree.
Reply 8
Original post by YaliaV
Is there a reason why you're still living at home? Maybe you need a bit of a kick out the door if you're scared of becoming independent. Have you lived away from home before (university doesn't really count). Do you contribute to the household? Your parents are entitled to some time by themselves after everything they've done for you.

You should try to have a calm and mature discussion with your dad. Don't inflame the situation by involving the law; it would be a very *****ish thing to do and wouldn't help matters.

I appreciate where you are coming from. I am really just looking for where I stand when my mum wants me to stay and my dad doesn't. Can my dad evict me against my mum's wishes.
I appreciate where you are coming from. I am really just looking for where I stand when my mum wants me to stay and my dad doesn't. Can my dad evict me against my mum's wishes.

I don't know, but that's not the question you should be asking. You're thinking like a 15 year old. Do you really want your dad to resent or even hate you? Come on now.
Hi,

So the situation is that my my dad wants to kick me out of the house but my mum wants me to stay.

I'm 25 and will be starting a PhD in October on a low stipend.

My dad pays for the bills in the house.

The house is jointly on both my parents names.

I know for sure that if both my parents wanted to kick me out of the house that I would have to go in an instant. However I am unclear about where I stand legally when one parent wants to me stay and the other wants me to leave.

If your dad is paying all the bills, then you are being saved a lot of money than if you were living independently, so I suggest you use your own money to pay for a lawyer to answer the question for you, because it looks like it’s a bit of a grey area.
Original post by Seamus123
If your dad is paying all the bills, then you are being saved a lot of money than if you were living independently, so I suggest you use your own money to pay for a lawyer to answer the question for you, because it looks like it’s a bit of a grey area.

Yes. Alternatively, he could use his own money to rent a flat or give it to his parents for allowing him to sponge off them for years. He will be at university for years, so presumably he won't have a lot of money until he gets a job. His parents are very lucky.
Unless you've got a formal lease with them I suspect either of them can insist you leave, I doubt there would be any grounds legally to refuse and they certainly no longer have a duty of care to you. Sounds like something your parents need to work out themselves first if they're in open disagreement
Everyone here is wrong. When my parents split and my mum moved out my dad wanted me to move out because I wasn’t “listening to him”. I was 16 but even thought he payed the mortgage it was still half my mums house so I just said “no”. He got angry but he knew there was nothing he could do since my mum said I could stay.
Original post by TheJohnM
Everyone here is wrong. When my parents split and my mum moved out my dad wanted me to move out because I wasn’t “listening to him”. I was 16 but even thought he payed the mortgage it was still half my mums house so I just said “no”. He got angry but he knew there was nothing he could do since my mum said I could stay.

You were a child and the OP is (supposed to be) an adult.
Original post by StriderHort
Unless you've got a formal lease with them I suspect either of them can insist you leave, I doubt there would be any grounds legally to refuse and they certainly no longer have a duty of care to you. Sounds like something your parents need to work out themselves first if they're in open disagreement

The truth is my dad also wants my mum to leave the house as well however that cannot happen. It is not something my parents will work out.
Yes. Alternatively, he could use his own money to rent a flat or give it to his parents for allowing him to sponge off them for years. He will be at university for years, so presumably he won't have a lot of money until he gets a job. His parents are very lucky.

I pay my mum monthly.
I know I should have expected some level of pontification from such a forum but I would be very grateful if posters could stick to the legal situation from experience or genuine knowledge about the area.
Original post by TheJohnM

You were a child and the OP is (supposed to be) an adult.

Actually your parents can kick you out at 16 in the UK. However it's possible your dad just might not have bothered because of legal fees/ bad image etc. Or you may be correct.
I know I should have expected some level of pontification from such a forum but I would be very grateful if posters could stick to the legal situation from experience or genuine knowledge about the area.

Could your mum not find out the legal position if she wants you to stay?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending