The Student Room Group

smashed headlight repair cost?

Hi,

I was involved in an accident yesterday and was crashed into right along the side of my car at the front, my headlight is completely smashed and i’ve got huge dents right above my tyre. I was wondering, does anyone know how much it might roughly cost to repair a smashed headlight and my side panel? It is probably a write off but just still wondering!

I drive a Corsa D.

Thanks,
Anna
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

I was involved in an accident yesterday and was crashed into right along the side of my car at the front, my headlight is completely smashed and i’ve got huge dents right above my tyre. I was wondering, does anyone know how much it might roughly cost to repair a smashed headlight and my side panel? It is probably a write off but just still wondering!

I drive a Corsa D.

Thanks,
Anna

Headlight you'll be looking £200 - £400 I imagine if the unit needs replacing. I had a great big dent in my front bumper a little while ago, went into a brick wall. I took it down a local guy and he heat gunned it and literally kicked it out for £100.

If you're not too fussed about it being absolutely perfect, don't take it to the dealer or a branded garage. Take it somewhere small and local, and just tell em to do what they can to get it on the road. If its just a dent then it mightn't need doing (mine was literally hanging off).

You'll also have to decide whether you go through insurance. You should declare everything, but your premium will absolutely sky rocket...
Reply 2
It can be an economic write-off if the car is older and the repair at a professional shop would cost more than the resale value prior to the accident. But that doesn't mean that you cannot perhaps save it and still drive with it. The headlight has to be replaced of course but the dents may remain and just be touched up with a car paint pen on the scrapes in the metal to stop rust. Not sure about the details of the damage on your car without a picture but you may be getting by with a couple hundred pounds the way I described. Many dents are just cosmetic and the car will drive just as well with them as before.
Reply 3
Depending on how bad the accident was, it would be worth getting a mechanic to give the car a check. You *might* have damaged something important.

Headlight assemblies needn't be very expensive items or difficult to replace, but it does depend on the vehicle. It takes a few minutes to remove them from my land rover but some vehicles need the bumper to be removed first. The garage will probably supply a new unit which might be expensive. You could probably find a used one for your vehicle on ebay for a far more reasonable amount. No point putting a £200 headlight assembly on a car worth £400.
So I just had a accident earlier today and I wanted to see how much would this cost to get fixed ? I’m so upset because I had just got an oil change and didn’t even have my car a hour or so and someone already hit me D4AC2B81-33F4-4774-B427-630BFBA72D7F.jpeg
(edited 3 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending