The Student Room Group

Please help me i’ve gotten myself into a bad predicament

So basically I got a job recently and had my induction a few days ago. When I was applying to jobs I was quite desperate and didn’t really care about the shifts. Anyways so I applied to a job at a big retailer which entails night shifts. I passed the interview and got the job. Whilst at the interview some guy who works the day shift kept telling me are you sure you want to do night shifts, they’re very difficult. Anyways I ended up going to the induction and got my rota and the kind of work i’ll be doing. It’s 12 hour shifts and 8pm to 8am with only a little break, I only just turned 18 so a few days ago this would have been illegal for me to do. I’m not happy and in hindsight should have never applied and also accepted this job offer knowing full well I’m not capable of completing such tasks and becoming nocturnal. I know I completely messed up and this job could have gone to someone more deserving and I’m not really in need of money enough to do night shifts. My question to the people of tsr is how do I get myself out of this situation in the nicest way possible these people have given me a uniform, a rota and a buddy? I feel bad that i’ve wasted their time.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
BUMP
It's pretty easy to reset your body clock to be honest, just have a nap in the afternoon and you'll be up until 4am. Have a sleep in the following day and you'll be up until 6am, do it again and bingo! It's more difficult to reverse it. I'm guessing you'll only be working 3 days a week max too.

You could tell them that you've been offered another job with better hours and more cash, they will be a bit miffed but that's life. Just chalk this down to experience.
Reply 3
Help me pls im stuck
Talk to your manager about whether it would be possible to do day shifts instead. Night work isn't for everyone.
Reply 5
Tell them you don’t think it’s going to work out, hand the uniform in and apologise. With it being a large organisation you won’t be the first or the last person to do it.
Reply 6
Original post by HappyBuddah
It's pretty easy to reset your body clock to be honest, just have a nap in the afternoon and you'll be up until 4am. Have a sleep in the following day and you'll be up until 6am, do it again and bingo! It's more difficult to reverse it. I'm guessing you'll only be working 3 days a week max too.

You could tell them that you've been offered another job with better hours and more cash, they will be a bit miffed but that's life. Just chalk this down to experience.

I’ll be working 4 days a week, I have uni starting in mid September so I’m going to have to quit this job anyways. The night shift is more strenuous than the day shift and my first shift is tomorrow. Isn’t it very rude for me to say that! I literally want to let them down in the nicest way possible
Reply 7
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Talk to your manager about whether it would be possible to do day shifts instead. Night work isn't for everyone.

They said they’re over staffed on day shifts and understaffed on night shifts so I doubt that’s ever going to happen sadly
Original post by Anonymous
They said they’re over staffed on day shifts and understaffed on night shifts so I doubt that’s ever going to happen sadly

Well then, you said that you don't need the money, so I would just quit if you really don't like it. And try and find a job elsewhere on days.
Reply 9
Original post by THS2018
Tell them you don’t think it’s going to work out, hand the uniform in and apologise. With it being a large organisation you won’t be the first or the last person to do it.

That’s very true, I don’t have the uniform it’s at work so I have no reason to go back there and I kinda don’t want to show my face there ever again. I was thinking of calling them but I don’t know what to say.
Oh god it isn’t the end of the world. Either call up and be truthful and say you’ve been thinking about it and you don’t think you’ll be up for working nights. They will say no problem thanks for letting us know. Or - try it. I’ve worked nights for years 4/5 nights a week. Yea they are crap. Especially 12 hours night after night are killers. So either try it and leave after a week or just call them now and say it’s not for you.
I’ll be working 4 days a week, I have uni starting in mid September so I’m going to have to quit this job anyways. The night shift is more strenuous than the day shift and my first shift is tomorrow. Isn’t it very rude for me to say that! I literally want to let them down in the nicest way possible

50 hours a week's far too much! It's not rude at all, sometimes you have to cut your loses and run. You could tell them that you've had the chance to think about things and working nights really isn't for you, you're concerned about the health effects that working like this will have on you, especially as you've only just turned 18. They will understand. I don't think many people want to work nights to be honest, it's unhealthy.
Also just to let you guys know they have all my information my passport, national insurance and my bank account details. They know which university I’m going to in September. I’m scared they’re gonna come after me.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Well then, you said that you don't need the money, so I would just quit if you really don't like it. And try and find a job elsewhere on days.

yeah I have other interviews coming up so I’m not too bothered , but my biggest problem is what to say to them
As politely as you can tell them you made a mistake and cannot work the night shifts and have to quit. You don’t need the money. Just move onto something else that suits you better.
Oh god it isn’t the end of the world. Either call up and be truthful and say you’ve been thinking about it and you don’t think you’ll be up for working nights. They will say no problem thanks for letting us know. Or - try it. I’ve worked nights for years 4/5 nights a week. Yea they are crap. Especially 12 hours night after night are killers. So either try it and leave after a week or just call them now and say it’s not for you.

I understand where you’re coming from but I literally don’t think I can handle this. I’m not cut out for this kind of job.I think it’s even worse if I leave after a week and I doubt i’ll get paid for it. What do I say to them without being rude after having wasted their time and resources
50 hours a week's far too much! It's not rude at all, sometimes you have to cut your loses and run. You could tell them that you've had the chance to think about things and working nights really isn't for you, you're concerned about the health effects that working like this will have on you, especially as you've only just turned 18. They will understand. I don't think many people want to work nights to be honest, it's unhealthy.

Thank you for understanding. Yeah I’ll try to say that, I hope they understand aswell
Thank you for understanding. Yeah I’ll try to say that, I hope they understand aswell

I'm sure they will. I worked shifts for a while, nights are really tough! They've said they have problems getting night staff, that's because very few people can do it. You're either a lark or an owl. They won't do anything and they won't contact your Uni!! Make sure you get paid for any training though.

Spoiler

yeah I have other interviews coming up so I’m not too bothered , but my biggest problem is what to say to them

You don't need to say anything. Just say your circumstances have changed which means you can no longer work nights, and need to find employment where day shifts are available.
I'm sure they will. I worked shifts for a while, nights are really tough! They've said they have problems getting night staff, that's because very few people can do it. You're either a lark or an owl. They won't do anything and they won't contact your Uni!! Make sure you get paid for any training though.

Will do! Thank you very much wish you the best?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending