The Student Room Group

GCSE Iteration question

x^3-3x-1=0
The equation above has a solution in the interval 1<x<2 . Use the formula Xn+1= 3^(Cube root of 1+3xn.) given X0= 2 , compare values to 2.d.p to find this solution to 2.d.p
moving to maths forum- i'd recommend posting any working out you've done so help can be given quicker:smile:
Original post by Querene
x^3-3x-1=0
The equation above has a solution in the interval 1<x<2 . Use the formula Xn+1= 3^(Cube root of 1+3xn.) given X0= 2 , compare values to 2.d.p to find this solution to 2.d.p

Did you mean xn+1=3xn+13x_{n+1}=\sqrt[3]{3x_n+1}?
Reply 3
Original post by entertainmyfaith
moving to maths forum- i'd recommend posting any working out you've done so help can be given quicker:smile:

Is it possible to post pictures because It’s really difficult and confusing to type these equations
Original post by Querene
Is it possible to post pictures because It’s really difficult and confusing to type these equations

Yes, click on the paperclip symbol to add an attachment.
Original post by Querene

that's what most people do in the maths forum:yep:
Reply 6
Original post by BuryMathsTutor
Yes, click on the paperclip symbol to add an

Original post by entertainmyfaith
that's what most people do in the maths forum:yep:

Awh man I can’t find the paper clip :colondollar:
Original post by Querene
this button qeqwtwrqty for phones?
Screenshot_2018-08-02-18-34-51-compressed.png.jpeg
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Querene

is the toolbar not appearing for you where you can create a new post? (it's a bug atm) the paperclip symbol is there. if it's still not working upload the image to imgur, copy the link from there (by hovering your cursor over the image a little link on the photo should appear) and paste it here like this:
Original post by TSRelif
this button qeqwtwrqty for phones?
Screenshot_2018-08-02-18-34-51-compressed.png.jpeg

We don't like the app in this forum because it doesn't handle our expressions, equations, identities or formulae.
Original post by Querene
x^3-3x-1=0

sub x0's value into "x " in the equation value to get x1's value (ignore the little n near the x). Then sub x1 into x to get x2. sub x2's value into x to get x3's value. Do this about 5 times and you'd realise that there's less difference between values. The last few results will be very similar, sensibly round these to 2 decimal places.

Quick Reply

Latest