The Student Room Group

How should I annotate my GCSE English Lit books?

I've just recieved the books we'll be studying for GCSE in Y10 (Pride and Prejudie and A Taste of Honey). How should I annotate them?
post it notes because you probably won't get enough space to write on the pages
use colours if you want to make it bold

look at the themes - you can colour code and annotate different ideas
identify characters and their specific traits

Original post by mionio1069
I've just recieved the books we'll be studying for GCSE in Y10 (Pride and Prejudie and A Taste of Honey). How should I annotate them?
Choose an important section, then annotate language features (e.g metphors, simile, adjectives, personification) and annotate structural features (e.g short sentance, embedded caluse, subordiinate clause, shift in focus)
moved to english forum.
when you say you've received the books, do you mean the school gave you them? if so, annotations should be done in pencil and i'd recommend using post it notes to mark important pages/scenes. underline/highlight key quotes and relevant moments in the text. i wouldn't recommend doing lots of annotations in the summer as you'll be likely going through the books with your teacher anyway in class.
(edited 5 years ago)
Wait for year 10 to start. You’ll go through them in class

So i did pride and prejudice and what i did was got the cgp version because it was slightly bigger than a normal book and had lots of margins around the text and this made it easier to annotate and it had loads of space. I mainly annotated like simplified versions of what a large chunk of text meant because the language is quite hard and when I’m flicking through it quickly i just read that, also we read it in class so the teacher always said something. EVERYTHING THEY SAY IS IMPORTANT!!!! Take note of everything they say, even if you think you may not need it now, it will be useful in the future just trust me. Also in the cgp version there’s already a few annotations on the side which are helpful. In terms of quotes what i did was i only highlighted yellow on the absolute key quotes which i will learn off by heart. That way when going through i only look at the highlighted phrases for key quotes. Other pieces of ‘important information’ i underlined or drew a bubble around.
And yeah that’s what i did for pride and prejudice.
Good luck! x
Reply 6
In Latin and high French. It worked for Henry VIII

Highlight key quotes and just scribble all over it in class - you'll go through it together. There's not really much point in trying to keep it too neat as long as you can learn from it.

Also it might be useful to keep a running list of key quotes under certain characters/chapters/themes as you go along - it'll save you a lot of time later.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending