Anon213
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Looking to learn the basics of a language of coding, will be starting a physics degree in September and was wondering what are the popular ones in unis?

Thank you!
ddsizebra
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
binary, hexidecimals and denary systems.
Sataris
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Python as far as I've seen
HertsExRep
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anon213)
Looking to learn the basics of a language of coding, will be starting a physics degree in September and was wondering what are the popular ones in unis?

Thank you!
Matlab, although this can be expensive. Python is the one I used the most, both in terms of research and in terms of on-the-course learning. I'd recommend downloading Spyder for Python! (And at the beginning, it doesn't matter much which version--2.7 or 3.6--you download, as long as you remember which version it is.)
Ljg2015
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anon213)

Thank you!
Python definately. Matlab I'd put second, that's good for visual stuff (although there is a package in python called VPython for visual stuff). Sometimes Fortran90 comes into a degree but not many from what I've seen
Et Tu, Brute?
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Michelle Bieger)
Matlab, although this can be expensive. Python is the one I used the most, both in terms of research and in terms of on-the-course learning. I'd recommend downloading Spyder for Python! (And at the beginning, it doesn't matter much which version--2.7 or 3.6--you download, as long as you remember which version it is.)
I didn't do Physics, though I did a lot of physics, maths and engineering modules. Matlab was by far the preferred language. That said, it is an expensive thing to get locked into. If you plan on staying in academia or working in a large engineering/tech company, probably you'll be fine as you will get a Matlab licence anyway under the employer's subscription package.

I'd highly recommend getting into Python, not Matlab. Matlab is great, but expensive to get locked into. Have a look at most job descriptions and they'll often ask for Python and/or Matlab, or just Python, rarely only Matlab is a requirement. Regarding scientific programming, I'd say Matlab is probably easier to learn the syntax for, but there isn't a huge difference between the two, so if you are comfortable with Python, Matlab will be straight forward to pick up.

Since Python is free, has plently of science/machine learning modules then it makes more sense to learn it if you have the choice.

Also, note that just because a course teaches in Matlab, doesn't mean you need to do the coursework in Matlab (unless they specifically request it). In my numerical modelling project, the mathematical programming was taught in Matlab, but one guy did his coursework project in Python. So long as you get the end result it shouldn't matter, but of course check with the module coordinator first.
winterscoming
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You could try these introductory Python courses from University of Michigan to get started, called 'Python for Everybody' (all of them are free - click on individual courses and choose 'audit' to access all the material - video lectures, slides, problem sets, etc.)
https://www.coursera.org/specializations/python
official site for the course here: https://www.py4e.com/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (115)
40.35%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (31)
10.88%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (22)
7.72%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (65)
22.81%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (33)
11.58%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
6.67%

Watched Threads