The Student Room Group

What Cambridge college to apply to with average BMAT (medicine)?

Hi, I was wondering what college at Cambridge I would have the best chance of getting into?
I have very strong gcses, a level predictions, and an a* in an epq. I have loads of work experience and research placements l, but I'm predicting myself mid 5s to mid 6s in the BMAT. I also go to an average state school which could go in my favour contextually.

Does anyone have any advice on where I'd have the best chance of applying?

Many thanks
askacambridgestudent.tumblr.com theyre probably the best people to ask tbh because theyre students at cambridge right now and they college match people all the time.

also look at freedom of information requests.
Original post by hello2906
askacambridgestudent.tumblr.com theyre probably the best people to ask tbh because theyre students at cambridge right now and they college match people all the time.

also look at freedom of information requests.

oh right, thanks for the info.
PETERHOUSE imo, I didn't have a great BMAT and neither did my mate and we both study medicine there now.. pm me if you want:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Elliottmanwaring
PETERHOUSE imo, I didn't have a great BMAT and neither did my mate and we both study medicine there now.. pm me if you want:smile:

what were your gcse, a level and personal statements like?
Original post by Lumikanwei
what were your gcse, a level and personal statements like?

4A* 6As 1B + Distinction in Add Maths
AS: AAAA (Bio, Chem, Phys, Maths)
A2: A*A*A*A (Bio, Chem, Maths, Welsh Bacc)
PS: not worth me commenting, 1. It’d be biased and 2. Subjective init.
Reply 6
Original post by Elliottmanwaring
4A* 6As 1B + Distinction in Add Maths
AS: AAAA (Bio, Chem, Phys, Maths)
A2: A*A*A*A (Bio, Chem, Maths, Welsh Bacc)
PS: not worth me commenting, 1. It’d be biased and 2. Subjective init.

damn fair play on the a levels man
Original post by Lumikanwei
damn fair play on the a levels man

chrs brovaa, hmu if you think I can help in anyway x
Original post by jonjoshelvey21
Hi, I was wondering what college at Cambridge I would have the best chance of getting into?
I have very strong gcses, a level predictions, and an a* in an epq. I have loads of work experience and research placements l, but I'm predicting myself mid 5s to mid 6s in the BMAT. I also go to an average state school which could go in my favour contextually.

Does anyone have any advice on where I'd have the best chance of applying?

Many thanks

Hi, I'm starting at Pembroke in October and I got 5.4, 6.2 and 3A. I was happy with this, but it wasn't an uber amazing score, so take from this what you will :smile:

I think it's hard to tell how different colleges may place weight on the BMAT bc the director of studies/ other admissions staff may change and they ultimately decide (for example).

Some colleges' students may have average BMAT scores higher than others, but don't let this put you off applying if you like it there bc this might just be down to chance.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by westcw13
Hi, I'm starting at Pembroke in October and I got 5.4, 6.2 and 3A. I was happy with this, but it wasn't an uber amazing score, so take from this what you will :smile:

I think it's hard to tell how different colleges may place weight on the BMAT bc the director of studies/ other admissions staff may change and they ultimately decide (for example).

Some colleges' students may have average BMAT scores higher than others, but don't let this put you off applying if you like it there bc this might just be down to chance.

Hi, thanks for replying and congrats on getting in. I was wondering how much revision you did for the bmat e.g. how many hours a day and for how long, and what resources you used and would recommend? many thanks.
Is anyone else doing septmber BMAT? How are you feeling for it in terms of prepredness?
Original post by jonjoshelvey21
Hi, thanks for replying and congrats on getting in. I was wondering how much revision you did for the bmat e.g. how many hours a day and for how long, and what resources you used and would recommend? many thanks.

Thanks! I did my UKCAT really late (like mid September) and didn't give myself enough time to do sufficient practice for BMAT. I'd firstly recommend learning the relevant parts of gcse physics again if you're not doing it A level. I did a couple of hours every day.

I used a couple of practice books and they worked a treat. The biggest resource tho are the past papers - use them wisely, don't do them too early on when you've still got learning to do, I'd leave them until you're a bit better at the questions as to not get disheartened 😂 Mainly bc no point in redoing them bc you'll know the answers.

If you have a teacher on hand who could comment on essays that's great, take them in and get them marked.

Hope that helps!
Original post by A.Person
Is anyone else doing septmber BMAT? How are you feeling for it in terms of prepredness?

don't feel prepared at all! honestly so nervous! how much revision have u done?
Original post by safa_k
don't feel prepared at all! honestly so nervous! how much revision have u done?

Really not much - I think sitting this so close to UKCAT will be a big regret. Would rather have done it in october
Original post by A.Person
Really not much - I think sitting this so close to UKCAT will be a big regret. Would rather have done it in october

i feel the same :frown:
Reply 15
Anglia Ruskin? :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending