Couple of personal statement questions!

Watch
Criminalis
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So I'll be applying for Psychology OR/AND Psychology and Criminology this year, unless something seriously changes my mind which is unlikely.

1. My first question is, if I apply for the aforementioned courses, how do I adjust my personal statement to this? The courses will both primarily be psychology but I'm interested in criminology too which is why I'd like to apply for both.

2. Is it worth mentioning that I want to pursue a career in forensic psychology/take forensic psychology at MSc? If so, would this ideally fit the start or end?

Thanks in advance
HertsExRep
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Criminalis)
So I'll be applying for Psychology OR/AND Psychology and Criminology this year, unless something seriously changes my mind which is unlikely.

1. My first question is, if I apply for the aforementioned courses, how do I adjust my personal statement to this? The courses will both primarily be psychology but I'm interested in criminology too which is why I'd like to apply for both.

2. Is it worth mentioning that I want to pursue a career in forensic psychology/take forensic psychology at MSc? If so, would this ideally fit the start or end?

Thanks in advance
Would talking about the psychology of criminals and crimes fit both? Perhaps you are interested in understanding why people commit such crimes or working in prisons? That would be a good tie-in for both.

I think it's always worth mentioning what you want to do with your degree, so that you can prove your interest and that you have thought about the value that your degree will be providing to your community and industry. I'd have a paragraph at the end outlining that you want to take it, and why you want to do that MSc.
Alan88
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My advice would be before you start saying you are interested in understanding the psychology of criminal behaviour, etc, I would have a close look at the modules you will study and make sure that is what you are going to cover. To me, studying Psychology and Criminology together is not the same as doing a course dedicated to Criminal or Forensic Psychology. The modules on your course are likely to be very separate, since they are in fact separate courses in their own respect.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (31)
11.36%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (153)
56.04%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (41)
15.02%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (42)
15.38%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (6)
2.2%

Watched Threads