Unknownfemale66
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m being blackmailed by my school
I do GCSE art at my high school and during the exam, teachers were helping students. One of the teachers even kept a student behind at break time/recess to help her. Our work also gets marked by our teachers. This is unfair because one of the art teachers hate me and I’m pretty sure she would be biased. We got our scores back and for my final piece, I got a score worse than all my friends and my art work was good so I was really upset. Only selected people get moderated by examiners and I don’t think I’m one of those people. If the score on the people who are moderated’s is too high, everyone’s grade drops and vice versa if it’s too low it goes up. Now for the blackmail part. If we snitch on the teachers for helping, everyone and I mean everyone taking art in the school fails according to the exam board. I know this is all hard to understand but I’m so stressed out. I work so hard on my art work. Drawing people is not easy and takes a lot of time. Id be so gutted if I got lower than a B as a result which is where I’m headed with those scores.
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Teachers are usually impartial when it comes to marking work, although I feel art can be a subjective subject to grade. You might feel that your work is the best, but your teachers might have a different opinion. However, a B grade is still good! If you wanted to know why you received these marks, you could ask your teacher for feedback.

If you wanted to complain about the marking, you would need proof of this and also, it is fair on your fellow students if everyone fails because of this?

If there is something that seriously was wrong, I could understand you wanting to complain, but I wouldn't do so just because you didn't get a higher grade than your friends.
SomMC1
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by cheesecakelove)
Teachers are usually impartial when it comes to marking work, although I feel art can be a subjective subject to grade. You might feel that your work is the best, but your teachers might have a different opinion. However, a B grade is still good! If you wanted to know why you received these marks, you could ask your teacher for feedback.

If you wanted to complain about the marking, you would need proof of this and also, it is fair on your fellow students if everyone fails because of this?

If there is something that seriously was wrong, I could understand you wanting to complain, but I wouldn't do so just because you didn't get a higher grade than your friends.
Professional teachers should but that's just not true. I go to a private school my whole life and my history teacher used to pick on me for every little thing I did and always marked my work badly, to the point she told my dad I will get no better than a C mid year 11. And I got an A. The full on bullying stopped after my dad got in a fight w her and the principle. Biased marking continued.
SomMC1
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Unknownfemale66)
I do GCSE art at my high school and during the exam, teachers were helping students. One of the teachers even kept a student behind at break time/recess to help her. Our work also gets marked by our teachers. This is unfair because one of the art teachers hate me and I’m pretty sure she would be biased. We got our scores back and for my final piece, I got a score worse than all my friends and my art work was good so I was really upset. Only selected people get moderated by examiners and I don’t think I’m one of those people. If the score on the people who are moderated’s is too high, everyone’s grade drops and vice versa if it’s too low it goes up. Now for the blackmail part. If we snitch on the teachers for helping, everyone and I mean everyone taking art in the school fails according to the exam board. I know this is all hard to understand but I’m so stressed out. I work so hard on my art work. Drawing people is not easy and takes a lot of time. Id be so gutted if I got lower than a B as a result which is where I’m headed with those scores.
I rather report them for malpractice and cheating and retake the art exam(s). But again, what if the teacher teaches you art in A level... then she'll hate you forever. It is tough to decide and i think that you need to think about the future too, unless you and your friends will tell it together. If you go alone then that probably isnt too good bc she will definitely hate you. And what about evidence that she helped, etc? Did the teachers help you in any way?
Unknownfemale66
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by cheesecakelove)

My predicted grade is a 4 and it’s way too late to “talk to my teacher about it” Besides I could never bring myself to do it. I’m too socially awkward
SomMC1
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Your reputation among kids and school may be as a traitor, etc. You could get singled out and teased by others if they fail art bc of you.
But getting justice is more important than being the popular kid. Consult your parents and if you do tell, go with them. Make them protect you
tamil fever
Badges: 18
Report 1 year ago
why dont u talk to the teacher or head of department
Citizenofpanem
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think you need to separate the two issues here.

1) you believe the school cheated.
2) you’re unhappy with your grading.

It’s very easy to connect the two, but it makes it much harder to unpick. So I would suggest you look at each separately.

1) do you feel a moral duty and obligation to report the cheating? Do you want to report it?
2) do you genuinely believe your grade is unfair? Is the marking inconsistent with the mark scheme, or is the teacher’s grade a reflection of the subjective nature of Art? Have you sought feedback?

If you’re morally concerned that the school treated then no one should stop you reporting it, although there will obviously be consequences. Talk it through with a trustworthy adult, and if you decide to proceed, I would suggest anonymously contacting the exam board for advice. This link might help: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/r...d-ofqual-urges

You didn’t really say how your school are blackmailing you. Have they admitted to cheating, and did they actually threaten you? It’s a complex area you’re getting into, which is why you must think it through thoroughly and talk to someone you can trust, such as a parent.
Little Popcorns
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Unknownfemale66)
You all fail and get another retake?
Marcbark143
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
At my school we were doing our food tech coursework practical exam and 3 students were getting the TAs to help (which is not allowed unless something goes horribly wrong) meanwhile I’m trying to juggle making custard Choux pastry puff pastry and a soup while they’re over there doing nothing and we knew if we reported it we’d get extremely ridiculed by the school and the teachers It was ridiculous since I tried so hard and got an 8 and they did bugger all and got 4s there is so much cheating going on but it just gets swept under the carpet since we don’t want to have all our work voided and miss out on a gcse
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (6)
7.59%
Disagree (5)
6.33%
Neither agree or disagree (22)
27.85%
Agree (32)
40.51%
Strongly Agree (14)
17.72%

Watched Threads