This discussion is closed.
meera18may
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Has anybody got into RADA? I'm just asking because is it really hard to get into it and do you have to be like a mind-blowing actor (doing it since little).
meera18may
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
No i didn't (i'm not very good). One of the people in my drama session was talking about applying and they asked me to tell the truth about what their chances were but I've never met anyone who goes RADA so I didn't really know what to say.
katkit
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
From what I've heard when talking to a few people, RADA are hardcore. Terrifyingly so. They'll make it obvious what they think, and by the end of the interview, you pretty much can figure out if they want you or not.

I'd say tell them to go for it anyway, because it's an experience. A good one, even if they get rejected.
Acaila
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
RADA is exceptionally hard to get into (that said so are all good drama schools). I don't think you have to be doing it since you were tiny necessarily, but you do have to be exceptionally good.
One thing I have *heard* many times is that they rarely take people straight from school, preferring people with life experience.
But it's always worth a shot, and auditioning more is a good experience.
tallie
Report 13 years ago
It is worth a shot - I know someone who is in his first year there doing acting and he came straight from school - I think you just have to be exceptionally good. I know they only accept 32 acting people each year, so it is very competitive, but there's a chance! The building and location are also really nice!
mtbab
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
if your too....common (for want of a better word) you'll have less of a chance. RADA make it brutally clear they have quotas for different types of people. so white, middle class, probably gay, average height , dark hair. don't stand the best chance.
Acaila
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Pretty much every drama school casts their class - that is to say selects a range of people who they are able to cast a lot of shows from. It would be completely useless for a course which does a number of performances to be completely stocked with tall, white, blonde, 18 year old, ingenue, English, female sopranos.
Middle class and gay however are almost certain not to come into the equation.

So yes, it is possible to get rejected because there is someone who is very like you also auditioning. That's life, and rejection is part of the industry.
armageddonbride
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I went to a workshop session on auditioning and drama schools recently, and the point was made that young white females make up the largest proportion of auditionees, if that's you, its made even harder to get into drama school...
LaurenGillam
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by KEMBLE)
That's untrue. I'm at RADA, and I don't know what you class as 'common' but being 'common' (I'm guessing you may mean to do with accents, where someone is from etc?) this wont stop you from getting in if you're talented enough to be there, that's what voice, dialect and other training if for. Lets put it this way, it will never stop you if you are an exceptional actor.

The rest of your comment is slightly absurd also. People are accepted on talent. And you don't have much of a chance with dark hair? Ah but hair dye and wigs are our friends.

Also, they do take people straight from school, though not a great amount. There are a good few 18 year olds. Some 17 when accepted. The majority tend to be in their early to mid 20's. But again, it's not about your age.
I] can't actually believe someone is at RADA , well firstly well done, you should be really proud of yourself considering its such a prestigious school and only few people get in. I would love to be accepted there one day.
puddle
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I am at Rada also and, although the standard is really good within the school- the intake is largely dependant upon who applies each year. they have to create a good group of students who compliment each other and differing roles well but who are also up for the challenge.
In terms of talent- i dont think 'doing it from little' necessarily means that they will be mind blowing. alot comes from technique, experience and progression.
hope this helps and good luck if your auditioning.
x
laura94
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by mtbab)
if your too....common (for want of a better word) you'll have less of a chance. RADA make it brutally clear they have quotas for different types of people. so white, middle class, probably gay, average height , dark hair. don't stand the best chance.
Is this a joke? That is the exact description of one of my friends who is starting at RADA in september
AKwth
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
AlleyLW, do you think it's possible to get into RADA without previous acting experience? I know that sounds stupid but it's my case. I really would love to go to RADA and I hope to apply next year in which time I hope to get experience but if not, would it be silly to apply?
Mrbfish15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
All the people at RADA - could you tell us the process of getting in. How many auditions are there? When do you find out when you get in? etc...
keysmccarthy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Mrbfish15)
All the people at RADA - could you tell us the process of getting in. How many auditions are there? When do you find out when you get in? etc...
There are 4 rounds of the audition process to get into RADA.
- Preliminary
- Recall
- Short Workshop
- Full Day's workshop.

As long as you will be 18 at the time the degree starts and can speak fluent English, RADA will give you a preliminary audition for an audition fee of £50/£55. For this, you will have to prepare two classical monologues and one modern monologue - they should be contrasting.

They decide if you will complete every step of the audition process. You may skip straight to the 3rd or 4th round if you're very lucky, you may complete each step, or you may get told after the preliminary audition that you are not successful.

After the full day's workshop (final stage), students are awarded places in no particular sequence. Some are phoned a couple of days after their workshop day, others are "considered" for a place and put on a waiting list for a few weeks and then accepted. Naturally, most are either rejected or put on a waiting list and then rejected.

Hope this helps!

P.S. This is my first post on this site!
Jeannetta1994
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by AlleyLW)
Yeah, I got into RADA, this is my first year of auditioning and I'm 17 years old, white, female, average height and I'm educated but I'm more common than I am posh.. so it shows that we can do it.
Wow! Congratulations! I'm 17 years old, and I live in Australia, but I can apply for British citizenship by descent. And I would really love to attend RADA, how did you find the audition? Do you have any advice for the audition? If you don't mind me asking

I'm currently doing an short acting course at NIDA (Which only takes 15-16 students a year!) and I'm learning a lot but I'd love to study it full time and RADA it looks like a fantastic school.
PeterVenkman
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Im currently at RADA. There is a lot of nonsense getting posted on here about what they are looking for. Less chance if you are 'common', middle class or gay? Utter tripe. There are people from all backgrounds and sexual preference in my year. Age also not a factor - I am in my mid-thirties and there are plenty of school leavers. What they are really looking for is talent and actors who respond well to direction and other training. In terms of advice for auditions I would say that you will of course be nervous but try to use it productively, to give you some edge. Try not to fall into the trap of your nerves making you rush through your monologue - take your time to settle before you start (they will happily wait until you are ready) and take a few moments after the speech before you break character. Other than that take any direction they give you as an opportunity to find something new about your speech, go 100% with with any suggestions they make. Good luck!
winnie95
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
HAs anyone got into RADA TTSM for entry this September 2013, when do they send out offers???????????????????
bluewoodchairs
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Bump
winnie95
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by winnie95)
HAs anyone got into RADA TTSM for entry this September 2013, when do they send out offers???????????????????
I had an offer a few weeks ago, I am going to do Technical Theatre Stage Management
Starting in September,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and one else starting????????
Jmorjaria
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by winnie95)

I had an offer a few weeks ago, I am going to do Technical Theatre Stage Management
Starting in September,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and one else starting????????
YES! I am! I'm SO excited for the TTSM course
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (57)
14.65%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (98)
25.19%
I'm a bit unsure (67)
17.22%
I'm finding things difficult (133)
34.19%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (34)
8.74%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed