The Student Room Group

Worried about extra-curriculars for uni?

I'm currently 16 years old and I'm in my last year of secondary education. I have never really been involved in clubs and activities within the school and not much outside of school. My family moved from a small European country to Scotland in 2010 and I developed some form of anxiety and became avoidant because I didn't speak English. I was always academically driven and never felt the need to join any clubs etc. Now I am worried about my chances of getting to study History because others would have had a more balanced school life and more achievement. I didn't realise this was a factor of success and would affect my chances of making it to uni, and now i'm stressed. Also, no-one in my family has ever made it past secondary education, and I have an opportunity to study further, and I enjoy History a lot. I'm currently taking advanced higher history and I really enjoy the challenge it brings, it makes it really interesting.
I'm considering taking a gap year because i turn 17 in January and therefore i'm younger than most people in my year. During this time I could work to save money, volunteer, etc. I still have one year left to join some clubs and do things outside of school, but is it too late? Do you think what i'm talking about is that important? What do you think
Thank you for taking the time to read and any replies are appreciated. :smile:
I didn’t do anything like this and it didn’t matter hugely. Where are you hoping to apply?
Original post by del1rious
I didn’t do anything like this and it didn’t matter hugely. Where are you hoping to apply?

I'm thinking to apply to Inverness college (University of the highlands and islands) and do a degree module during my 'gap year' whilst volunteering and working as I live in Inverness. Ultimately, though, I would like to go to a more established university such as St. Andrews, Herriot-Watt, Aberdeen. But I would have to research their history departments and see which is best and which is best for all my circumstances.

Also what did you mean by you didn't do anything like this? You solely got accepted on academic achievement? Thanks for the reply :smile:
Original post by CheeseStudy123
I'm currently 16 years old and I'm in my last year of secondary education. I have never really been involved in clubs and activities within the school and not much outside of school. My family moved from a small European country to Scotland in 2010 and I developed some form of anxiety and became avoidant because I didn't speak English. I was always academically driven and never felt the need to join any clubs etc.
Thank you for taking the time to read and any replies are appreciated. :smile:

Your academics are important. What period of History are you most interested in? How could you demonstrate this interest? This could be books you've read, places you've visited.
Although I did a Maths degree I did love History and particularly the early stone age - I'd been to several sites including a flint mine and read a lot.
Original post by Muttley79
Your academics are important. What period of History are you most interested in? How could you demonstrate this interest? This could be books you've read, places you've visited.
Although I did a Maths degree I did love History and particularly the early stone age - I'd been to several sites including a flint mine and read a lot.

I'm most interested in Chinese History, Greek History, Roman History, ancient egypt. I like to read of the philosophy of Roman and Greek cultures and the Germanic people, not so much the relatively modern western history. Thanks for your reply.
I'm most interested in Chinese History, Greek History, Roman History, ancient egypt. I like to read of the philosophy of Roman and Greek cultures and the Germanic people, not so much the relatively modern western history. Thanks for your reply.

Go and explore the Roman remains along Hadrian's wall - some amazing stuff. Is their a museum near you where you could volunteer?
This is a good website on Egypt that I used to make up questions in Egyptian numbers.
https://discoveringegypt.com/
Original post by del1rious

You don't know this for sure ...
I'm thinking to apply to Inverness college (University of the highlands and islands) and do a degree module during my 'gap year' whilst volunteering and working as I live in Inverness. Ultimately, though, I would like to go to a more established university such as St. Andrews, Herriot-Watt, Aberdeen. But I would have to research their history departments and see which is best and which is best for all my circumstances.

Also what did you mean by you didn't do anything like this? You solely got accepted on academic achievement? Thanks for the reply :smile:

Yes it was mainly on academic achievement (I went to uni of Reading which isn’t the best but still pretty good). Never did any extra curricular activities apart from a brief stint at bee keeping club but I didn’t bother putting that down!
However there are loads of things you can do fairly locally related to your degree, have a look on the Historic Scotland website and see if there are any ancient sites/settlements near you that you can visit- that would certainly help your case!
Many students going to University dont take part in any extra curricular activities. Your application generally only asks about academic achievement. You do have the opportunity to write about your personal achievements on your application which can include activities you take part in but theyre not essential. What you need to remember is that extra curricular activites can cost huge amounts of money to take part in. Universities are trying to be more inclusive so they wont disregard you on the basis you didnt take part in netball/swimming/orienteering or whatever.
They could use extra curricular activites as a tie breaker if they have 2 students with the exact same grades in the exact same subjects applying for the same course and theres literally nothing to seperate them, they could consider activities and the success in those as a way of distinguishing between the candidates but the actual chances of this happening are tiny. You will be better off showing your interest in History now, talk about where you have vistied what you have studied in addition to your standard school History class. You have a huge advantage over many
students in any case because you have learned a 2nd language (English), that shows how dedicated you are. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending