The Student Room Group

Where can I get a different prescription?

About 3 days ago I was in A and E with a suspected chest infection, they gave me amoxicillin capsules to take just in case it is one but I haven't been taking them because I can't physically swallow them they're too big.

I don't know what I can do now I'm feeling worse and worse as time goes on and I can't see a GP until Tuesday because I'm not home until Monday night is there any other way I can get a different form?
No they are not too big, all psychological mate. Put one in your mouth and swallow with water, or if you are that scared, cut it in half.
Reply 2
Can't cut it in half it's a capsule with powder definitely can't swallow them tried too in the past a few times and had to get the liquid form taking them isn't an option will have to find another way x
Original post by Elektra06
About 3 days ago I was in A and E with a suspected chest infection, they gave me amoxicillin capsules to take just in case it is one but I haven't been taking them because I can't physically swallow them they're too big.

I don't know what I can do now I'm feeling worse and worse as time goes on and I can't see a GP until Tuesday because I'm not home until Monday night is there any other way I can get a different form?

I have had to go to the gps after being prescribed antibiotics in capsule form, could not take them at all, they gave me another prescription for it in liquid form. Super inconvenient but didn’t result in me lying on the floor shaking so definitely better!

Edit:
Just to add that was I just talked to the gps office I didn’t actually have to get an extra appointment or anything.
(edited 5 years ago)

If you call your GP they can fax a prescription over to a local pharmacy. Or if you're away from home and need to see a GP, you can contact any GP surgery nearby. You could also call 111. They will be really helpful. :smile:
Reply 5

Call your pharmacy and see if it's okay to open it and mix the powder with something. You could also try taking the tablet with yoghurt or milkshake/ smoothie. Put the drink in your mouth then the tablet, swish around so you can't feel where the tablet is then take a big gulp.

Failing that call 111 or head to a walk-in. Take your current tablets with you so they know what they are and explain that you can't take them.
If it weren't the weekend you could call your Dr's surgery and explain. If your surgery is still open now you could do that now.

In the future say when you are being prescribed something that you can't swallow tablets so they can give you the liquid form.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
Thanks everyone! Mixing the powder won't get full dose but it's my only option as I've tried a lot haha

I did ring a walk in center, they can't.
my partners GP surgery doesn't do temp patients, my GP couldn't fax it over as they were closed :/ did try 111 but they just gave me an appointment for A and E again 😕 so didn't bother going and went to a chemist who said I can mix it but might need to get more when I go home as its less effective.

As I got them from A and E they didn't have many other options so I had to take the capsules thinking I could take the powder and when it said I couldn't I panicked 😂😂
Reply 7
Thanks everyone! Mixing the powder won't get full dose but it's my only option as I've tried a lot haha

I did ring a walk in center, they can't.
my partners GP surgery doesn't do temp patients, my GP couldn't fax it over as they were closed :/ did try 111 but they just gave me an appointment for A and E again 😕 so didn't bother going and went to a chemist who said I can mix it but might need to get more when I go home as its less effective.

As I got them from A and E they didn't have many other options so I had to take the capsules thinking I could take the powder and when it said I couldn't I panicked 😂😂

Okie doke well if you can mix the powder that's at least something. If you don't want to go to A&E again what I would do is mix them for now then call your GP on monday and get a new script of something you can manage sorted for when you get home.

Honestly I would practice swallowing tablets too if I were you. I used to be terrible at swallowing tablets and couldn't take anything like paracetamol or even tiny little antihistamines. Then it got to the point I had to take tablets cos my health kinda went tits up. Obviously taking tablets every day has given me quite a bit of practice so I can now comfortably swallow tablets. It is so much more convenient being able to take tablets rather than needing to get more expensive dissolving or liquid stuff so it is something I would suggest trying to work on. I am proof that it is possible to learn.
Get some tiny little mints or something and just have a go at swallowing them every now and then. Using a thick or fizzy drink helps cos it's being able to feel the tablet that causes issues. Shove it in there with drink already in your mouth, swish so you can't tell where it is and swallow with your throat not your tongue (gulp).

But yeah for now just take these however you can and call your GP when they open on monday to sort stuff out. You should be fine doing it over the phone so no need to actually be there.
Reply 8
I can manage antihistamines and the pill when I was on it but I did try a 500mg amoxicillin a year or so ago and had to be Heimliched lol I've got narrowing and scarring from my acid reflux so I pour paracetamol in juice and crush ibuprofen and drink them that way along with living on liquid forms of things 😂

Quick Reply

Latest