To all those with brains and have written something

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I want to know if there are any others who are have published a book and can give me some advice as I'm going trough the same painful process.
iamElectro
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I want to know if there are any others who are have published a book and can give me some advice as I'm going trough the same painful process.
Firstly, learn grammar.
username3890778
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by iamElectro)
Firstly, learn grammar.
Stop being rude.
iamElectro
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Rainfall)
Stop being rude.
I'm not, you asked for advice...
username4136150
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by iamElectro)
I'm not, you asked for advice...
It should be s/he asked for advice not you asked for advice.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Rainfall)
Stop being rude.
Hmm, I know what you mean, it was a little blunt, but it's a fair point.

----

I work as an editor/proofreader so I have a lot of industry experience, and there's nothing worse than a writer who can't write, but thinks they can.

Certain mistakes can be corrected. If they couldn't, I'd be out of a job. But you would do well to try and improve your level of English if you want to write well.

You could try to contact a publishing house, but being honest, unless you're a really good writer it's not likely to be successful. You'd therefore be better self-publishing.

Which part of the process are you struggling with? Have you written the book?

I would say never underestimate the editing stage. Once the words are on paper, you're not even half way to being ready to publish.

I understand that your budget might change this process a little, but my best advice would be:

- When you've finished your book, put it away for a month. Literally don't look at it.
- When you come back to it, read it through, making notes for improvements as you go.
- You should repeat the previous two steps, so your book will have had two read throughs by you before you even do anything else.
- Then, hire an editor. This is my job, so I can tell you that there are lots of talented editors out there. I can show you a website where you can find them if you like (not asking you to hire me, there's loads to choose from, and you can find the best fit). The editor can give you detailed feedback about your work, including the story and your writing style, and they will give you notes for improvement. You will work on your manuscript based on their notes, then send the updated document back to them for another look. In theory, this could go on forever - but eventually the notes should get fewer and fewer, and you'll have to draw a line somewhere because of budget.
- Last step is to hire a proofreader. This isn't the same as an editor (though some editors will correct mistakes as they go through, but not all - some are a bit awkward and insist that it's not what they're being hired for.. which is true). A proofreader is the person who picks up on any tiny mistakes, such as typos, punctuation, double spaces, in addition to any flaws in the plot that have somehow been missed (often to do with continuity issues). If your budget is tight, one proofreader will do, but ideally you should send it through two. Most professionally printed books will have at least one mistake in them somewhere. Things slip through the net and we're all only human, but the more people who see it, the tighter it will be.
- Finally, you should give it one last read to double check all changes that have been made, to ensure that the story is still true to what you wanted it to be, and that you're happy with it.

Then the process of trying to get published starts. You have to have a tight manuscript before you even try, or you won't get anywhere.

If you choose to self-publish there are a number of places you can do this, but you will also need to hire a formatter to make sure that it'll look good once printed.

I hope this helps?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (8)
10%
Okay (26)
32.5%
A bit lacking (22)
27.5%
Not good at all (24)
30%

Watched Threads