My hatred for other football fans who DO NOT support their local club...

Watch
BusinessExpert
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
My local team is Manchester United. The atmosphere is utterly terrible and on a regular basis the ground is full of fans whose dreams are a reality; they're finally at Old Trafford! Plastic fans are travelling to Manchester, messing up the club's culture, with their phones out and they show no passion whatsoever. No one chants anymore. That’s why everyone says away games are better because they are! Our atmosphere is really embarrassing and it is starting to show on the pitch. Mourinho has pointed it out more than once.

Who actually lives in Manchester and attends games regularly? I think anyone outside of our city should be banned from following the club; maybe supporting a local team might be more entertaining. I am sick to death of Brummies, Londoners etc. whining about everything wrong with United.

Moreover, these scumbags can't even play football to a decent level. I mean, why would you follow a sport if you cannot even play it - with the exception of disabled fans, though, because the team is most likely in their blood owing to the ongoing support of their family over the years.

I mean there isn't a valid reason to be a glory hunting, lifeless fan! People explain how their family are from that particular area, which I suppose is acceptable. Adam McKola (FullTimeDevils), for example, should be supporting West Brom - he lived literally next to the ground at one point!
Nathan Scott
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by BusinessExpert)
My local team is Manchester United. The atmosphere is utterly terrible and on a regular basis the ground is full of fans whose dreams are a reality; they're finally at Old Trafford! Plastic fans are travelling to Manchester, messing up the club's culture, with their phones out and they show no passion whatsoever. No one chants anymore. That’s why everyone says away games are better because they are! Our atmosphere is really embarrassing and it is starting to show on the pitch. Mourinho has pointed it out more than once.

Who actually lives in Manchester and attends games regularly? I think anyone outside of our city should be banned from following the club; maybe supporting a local team might be more entertaining. I am sick to death of Brummies, Londoners etc. whining about everything wrong with United.

Moreover, these scumbags can't even play football to a decent level. I mean, why would you follow a sport if you cannot even play it - with the exception of disabled fans, though, because the team is most likely in their blood owing to the ongoing support of their family over the years.

I mean there isn't a valid reason to be a glory hunting, lifeless fan! People explain how their family are from that particular area, which I suppose is acceptable. Adam McKola (FullTimeDevils), for example, should be supporting West Brom - he lived literally next to the ground at one point!
It’s just football...it really isn’t that deep
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Moreover, these scumbags can't even play football to a decent level. I mean, why would you follow a sport if you cannot even play it
You're only allowed to follow a sport if you can do it to a "decent level"?

:troll:
BusinessExpert
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nathan Scott)
It’s just football...it really isn’t that deep
It isn't though when people dedicate their life to the glory of others.
Nathan Scott
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It isn't though when people dedicate their life to the glory of others.
Sounds like wasted time to me
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Calm down. It's just entertainment, people should be able to enjoy it as they wish.

Also lol at having to play it at a decent level to follow it.
Marshmello's Dad
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Just because you go to the games doesn't mean you're more of a fan than others. There are kids in Asia that stay awake until 2-3 am to watch United, kids in America, Mexico who have to wake up 5am to watch games every single week. As annoying as these fans can be, I hope you do realise that your team makes most of it's money from Asia.

Teams like PSG, Barcelona, Real Madrid all have special seats for tourists who just want to have their phones out etc. Does United not have that? If the season tickets are sold out, surely the amount of 'plastic fans' should be minimal. A mere 2000 or so compared to the 74000 genuine fans...

Plus what wrong with people from other cities coming to games anyways, that's more effort they've had to put in than you probably catching a bus for 15 minutes.

And your point about people who can't play football themselves at a decent level shouldn't be able to watch it is just stupid. You shouldn't watch 'adult movies' either then since you haven't been in p***y since the day you came out one.
Toni Cipriani
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What’s next? I should only drive cars made in my local area? I should only eat food that’s grown in my area? I should only listen to artists who were born in the same town as me? People can support whoever they want.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It does my head in when people try to tell other people which team they can and can't support. The truth of it is that people can support whoever the hell they like.

I'm from Liverpool and, although I am a Liverpool fan (though I can't play football so maybe I shouldn't be..) I would have every right to be a loyal supporter of a team from Outer Mongolia if I want to - and neither you nor anyone else has the right to tell me I can't.
AngryJellyfish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Moved to Football.
TheMcSame
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So you can only support a team if they're local? That's the dumbest thing I've ever read.

Moreover, these scumbags can't even play football to a decent level. I mean, why would you follow a sport if you cannot even play it -
Scratch that, this is the dumbest thing I've read.

Guess I should stop having any interest in F1, since I can't even drive an F1 car, and probably never will. Never mind actually competing against people who are considered some of the best drivers on the planet.
Guess I should stop having an interest in WRX since I've never driven a car that is capable of 0-60 in ~1.9 seconds, never mind driving around a multi-surface track competitively in one.

It's football, get over it.
R3negade
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't really follow football as it just doesn't interest me that much. However, from today, I am proud to call myself a Manchester City fan. I flipped a coin and Man utd lost out.
BusinessExpert
Rep:
?
(Original post by Toni Cipriani)
What’s next? I should only drive cars made in my local area? I should only eat food that’s grown in my area? I should only listen to artists who were born in the same town as me? People can support whoever they want.
I spoke to three fans last season and asked why they were wearing half-and-half scarves. Guess what their reason was... they claim that it’s perfectly fine to support both clubs!

Next season us Mancs will tear tourists apart.
username917703
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
It does my head in when people try to tell other people which team they can and can't support. The truth of it is that people can support whoever the hell they like.

I'm from Liverpool and, although I am a Liverpool fan (though I can't play football so maybe I shouldn't be..) I would have every right to be a loyal supporter of a team from Outer Mongolia if I want to - and neither you nor anyone else has the right to tell me I can't.
Part of why people get annoyed is because it wouldn't actually be a team from Outer Mongolia. It would be one of about five teams.

Also he does have the right to tell you that tbh.
BusinessExpert
Rep:
?

You’re from Liverpool. It stays in the family there, never mind your local area.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Wilfred Little)
Part of why people get annoyed is because it wouldn't actually be a team from Outer Mongolia. It would be one of about five teams.

Also he does have the right to tell you that tbh.
How does he have the right? Why shouldn't I support the team I want to support? How can another person possibly tell me what to do or think? He has absolutely no right to even have a say in who another person supports.
username917703
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
How does he have the right? Why shouldn't I support the team I want to support? How can another person possibly tell me what to do or think? He has absolutely no right to even have a say in who another person supports.
He does have that right though. He hasn't broken any laws by telling you you should support a particular team as long as he doesn't become threatening or abusive while saying it.
BusinessExpert
Rep:
?
People on here who say football is entertainment, that’s correct. However, this is TSR; in the real world, football for a lot of people is a way of life. The amount of money in the game reflects that and is why everyone who has an everyday job complains about the wage they’re on because at the end of the day your occupation is a dead end one and completely useless. Meanwhile, Neymar is on £700k-a-week.

Football is a way of life for a lot of people and has created lots of jobs for working class individuals as well.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Wilfred Little)
He does have that right though. He hasn't broken any laws by telling you you should support a particular team as long as he doesn't become threatening or abusive while saying it.
Okay then fine, let's reword.
He has the right to say whatever he likes.
However, it is unreasonable to expect people to support anyone other than who they themselves choose.
username917703
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Okay then fine, let's reword.
He has the right to say whatever he likes.
However, it is unreasonable to expect people to support anyone other than who they themselves choose.
What about the other point? It's not solely a geographical issue that people are making a point about. He isn't talking about people from London supporting Partick Thistle or Wrexham. He's talking about people supporting the same four or five teams. That has real effects for the local supporter/club. Let's at least acknowledge that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.07%
I'm not sure (59)
4.49%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (387)
29.43%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.81%
I'm not a current university student (647)
49.2%

Watched Threads