My hatred for other football fans who DO NOT support their local club...

Watch
BusinessExpert
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by stephanetene)
I'm from a working class background in North Manchester but say I go on to have a successful career and just happen to wear a suit does that mean my background is no longer suitable to watch football inside a stadium?
I’m referring to those who turn up to games in a suit and their long, smart jackets and wearing stupid VIP badges. They create large pockets of silence around the ground.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by BusinessExpert)
My local team is Manchester United. The atmosphere is utterly terrible and on a regular basis the ground is full of fans whose dreams are a reality; they're finally at Old Trafford! Plastic fans are travelling to Manchester, messing up the club's culture, with their phones out and they show no passion whatsoever. No one chants anymore. That’s why everyone says away games are better because they are! Our atmosphere is really embarrassing and it is starting to show on the pitch. Mourinho has pointed it out more than once.

Who actually lives in Manchester and attends games regularly? I think anyone outside of our city should be banned from following the club; maybe supporting a local team might be more entertaining. I am sick to death of Brummies, Londoners etc. whining about everything wrong with United.

Moreover, these scumbags can't even play football to a decent level. I mean, why would you follow a sport if you cannot even play it - with the exception of disabled fans, though, because the team is most likely in their blood owing to the ongoing support of their family over the years.

I mean there isn't a valid reason to be a glory hunting, lifeless fan! People explain how their family are from that particular area, which I suppose is acceptable. Adam McKola (FullTimeDevils), for example, should be supporting West Brom - he lived literally next to the ground at one point!
To point out the obvious, Old Trafford is a badly designed stadium for atmosphere, has been since the 80s.

Come to see Queens Park play some time. 800 people in a 51,000 seater stadium. Now that's an embarrassing atmosphere...
username917703
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I'm from a working class background in North Manchester but say I go on to have a successful career and just happen to wear a suit does that mean my background is no longer suitable to watch football inside a stadium?
Yes. Adidas Originals trainers, black North Face jackets and dark jeans only please.
professormcr
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I’m referring to those who turn up to games in a suit and their long, smart jackets and wearing stupid VIP badges. They create large pockets of silence around the ground.
but they've payed haven't they? so they can do as they please, unless you're suggesting clubs ask fans before they purchase tickets as to how they will dress on match day and if it doesn't contain football casual wear them refuse to sell them tickets. football is for everyone not just a select few
professormcr
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Wilfred Little)
Yes. Adidas Originals trainers, black North Face jackets and dark jeans only please.
if I sew a stone island badge on to a suit is that ok
BusinessExpert
Rep:
(Original post by Quady)
To point out the obvious, Old Trafford is a badly designed stadium for atmosphere, has been since the 80s.

Come to see Queens Park play some time. 800 people in a 51,000 seater stadium. Now that's an embarrassing atmosphere...
Our U23s have been relegated and I’ve been to these games; there is a better atmosphere during them with only a few hundred watching!
storm95
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
That’s cos everyone in Manchester knows city is the better club don’t @ me
username917703
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
if I sew a stone island badge on to a suit is that ok
Close enough :cool:
BusinessExpert
Rep:
but they've payed haven't they? so they can do as they please, unless you're suggesting clubs ask fans before they purchase tickets as to how they will dress on match day and if it doesn't contain football casual wear them refuse to sell them tickets. football is for everyone not just a select few
Football has always been a sport for the working class and generally the playing aspect is too.
professormcr
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Football has always been a sport for the working class and generally the playing aspect is too.
Ok and what's your point? they can still watch/attend/play if they desire whether or not other classes also choose to
BusinessExpert
Rep:
Ok and what's your point? they can still watch/attend/play if they desire whether or not other classes also choose to
Nah, tennis is probably the better option; it’s nice and quiet for them.
professormcr
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Nah, tennis is probably the better option; it’s nice and quiet for them.
I agree they negatively impact the atmosphere, however if you want a good atmosphsere in England you'll probably have to go to a lower league club which is why I go to Oldham ad opposed to my local club City. But all that being said there isn't a way, or any real reason to stop football fans of higher classes attending matches so
TheLittlestElf
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Award for biggest ****ing idiot goes to BusinessExpert
sr90
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Is there even a waiting list at MU? I find that hard to believe.
There is, but we have 2-3 times the number of Season Ticket holders that most other clubs have so it's nowhere near as long. We've also had to cut capacity due to the new disabled seating, so less tickets are being released compared to previous years.

The club doesn't publish any data regarding the waiting list but i'd estimate it's 2-3 years. You have the option to pay a £100 refundable deposit to jump the queue, so clearly there is some kind of waiting period.
Major Zero
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Part of why people get annoyed is because it wouldn't actually be a team from Outer Mongolia. It would be one of about five teams.

Also he does have the right to tell you that tbh.
Who gave him that right? Clubs wouldn't be as big as they are if the fanbase was strictly limited to the city they're based in.
Major Zero
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Part of why people get annoyed is because it wouldn't actually be a team from Outer Mongolia. It would be one of about five teams.

Also he does have the right to
What about the other point? It's not solely a geographical issue that people are making a point about. He isn't talking about people from London supporting Partick Thistle or Wrexham. He's talking about people supporting the same four or five teams. That has real effects for the local supporter/club. Let's at least acknowledge that.
You can't force a loyalty/bond/attachment to a club though. My local club is Millwall, I say **** that, I would never support them even if I wanted to.
BusinessExpert
Rep:
(Original post by Major Zero)
You can't force a loyalty/bond/attachment to a club though. My local club is Millwall, I say **** that, I would never support them even if I wanted to.
Stop ruining football and stay away from being a spectator. You should be a neutral fan and not be biased towards any other club. You’re a disgrace!
username917703
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Major Zero)
Who gave him that right? Clubs wouldn't be as big as they are if the fanbase was strictly limited to the city they're based in.
The law.
TheKopp
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Stop crying let people support any football club they want
day 481516
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
It can be annoying. I know someone who's a Man Utd fan and he's from Sussex. I asked him why he supported them and he couldn't tell me why. I supported my local team even after they got relegated to League One.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (36)
9.81%
Okay (107)
29.16%
A bit lacking (135)
36.78%
Not good at all (89)
24.25%

Watched Threads