TestLDN123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm going to enter my third year at Durham University and its looking unlikely I'll get a 2.1.

Is it possible for me to do an ACA graduate programme with a 2.2? I don't mind doing it at a smaller firm.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TestLDN123)
I'm going to enter my third year at Durham University and its looking unlikely I'll get a 2.1.

Is it possible for me to do an ACA graduate programme with a 2.2? I don't mind doing it at a smaller firm.
Looks like its hard but not impossible. You will just have to work your way up.

Keep looking through the job adverts

https://www.indeed.co.uk/jobs?q=Aca+...Role+degree&l=
ajj2000
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

I'd look for a list of the top 50 audit firms, and look on each of their websites for an idea of their requirements. There seems to have been a move away from demanding a 2.1 over the last year - although I think for most contracts it is still a requirement. What are you studying?

Also, as suggested above, check job ads to see what smaller firms are offering. Some geographic locations seem easier to find jobs in than others - many expensive areas of the South East (Surrey, Gatwick for example) have firms who may be flexible on requirements in order to find good recruits.
TestLDN123
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by ajj2000)
I'd look for a list of the top 50 audit firms, and look on each of their websites for an idea of their requirements. There seems to have been a move away from demanding a 2.1 over the last year - although I think for most contracts it is still a requirement. What are you studying?

Also, as suggested above, check job ads to see what smaller firms are offering. Some geographic locations seem easier to find jobs in than others - many expensive areas of the South East (Surrey, Gatwick for example) have firms who may be flexible on requirements in order to find good recruits.
I'm studying Accounting and Finance
natninja
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

I got a 2.2. I’m in audit at a Big 4. Go figure
Q and A
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What did you do at college
nas ether
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by natninja)
I got a 2.2. I’m in audit at a Big 4. Go figure
Hi Natninja I just got a 2.2 and I am trying to get into accounting I was going to ask if you had any advice to offer in terms of job applications
Condividere
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Firms such as EY have removed the 2:1 entry requirement. BDO minimum entry requirement is a 2:2, absolutely you can still do the ACA qualification
ajj2000
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Condividere)
Firms such as EY have removed the 2:1 entry requirement. BDO minimum entry requirement is a 2:2, absolutely you can still do the ACA qualification
Interestingly a lot of the smaller firms seem to as well.
DrBin
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
OP - it's tough and gonna suck majorly but there's always a chance to turn it around. What did you end on for your 2nd year?
I ended on a 56.25 for my second year; tried to do 3rd year - had to drop out due to depression and impending therapy - It's actually written on my transcript that my 1st attempt at 3rd year had scores of 7 and 11% in some places XD. I got lucky, my Uni wiped that attempt clean, I came back a year later - ended on a 65.05. Huge turnarounds are possible if you work to the bone for them - if I wasn't in lectures or seminars - I was in the library at least 45 hours a week.

if I was you, my first port of call would be looking at how your university calculates your final score. I notice on the physics dept FAQ here: https://www.dur.ac.uk/physics/students/faqs/?faqno=1046
that durham calculates your final mark as your 3rd year being worth 50% more than your 2nd. I know this is written on the wrong department but its most definitely worth checking out if the Business dept is the same or similar. If this is the case then you only have to average a 67% to get a 2:1 for your final mark. After that you start to prioritise which subjects you struggle at and start devoting more time to them with extra practice questions and reading time. If you've got personal issues affecting your studies then you need to start working with the universities on site wellbeing staff if you haven't already. If aforementioned are such significant problems then get extenuating circumstances for them or defer the year.

Finally if you really can't turn around your university scores then take comfort in the fact that firms are starting to take down the 2:1 and UCAS point requirement. Even if you don't get into graduate schemes, then you can put on your CV what exam exemptions from relevant accounting bodies you've received as part of your course, alongside your degree and start applying for positions like accounts assistant and the like - you'll probably have to study the professional qualification yourself - but its certainly doable.

good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (187)
23.94%
Pop (191)
24.46%
Jazz (30)
3.84%
Classical (46)
5.89%
Hip-Hop (147)
18.82%