The Student Room Group

Can I change my accent?

Basically I’ll be moving away down south near Brighton in the next year or so and I’ll be hopefully staying down there for the next, larger portion of my life to start a fresh.

I’m currently from up north in Lancashire. Basically I hate my accent. I mean seriously hate it. I’m so embarrassed by it and I get so paranoid that people think I’m uneducated and poor and the rest of the stereotypes. I’m also worried it will put people off hiring me.

My parents came from Weymouth and they had beautiful accents, I actually think I’m pretty good at imitating them. So what I was thinking was, maybe I could just imitate there accents in my daily life until it just comes natural to me? And then maybe after a few years I’ll lose my old accent and adopt a new one without even thinking about it. Do you think it will work? Is it possible?
Reply 1
Hey,
I believe it's possible to change your accent. It will take time of course but you and others should start recognising a gradual change regarding your accent. One of my friends moved from England to live in America and after a couple of months they've picked up the Northen American accent quite quickly.

Although, I'm not sure how transitioning your Northen accent to a more Southern accent will be; it could take more time because of the strength of your Nothern accent. I may be wrong though :smile:

It might be good, like you said, to practice your parents' accent quite regularly. You could also check out some vids on YouTube to aid you.

Hope this helps! :smile: And good luck!
Reply 2
Those who are worth it will be patient in getting to know you rather than judging you based on your accent. You should know that the people who avoid you just because of your accent are most likely people not worth knowing.
Brighton has one of the highest crime rates in the country. Other than that it's just gays and communists. they won't care about your accent, and also northern accents are very nice which is why they're always used in call centres
Reply 4
Original post by CollectiveSoul
northern accents are very nice which is why they're always used in call centres

Yeah and they’re often portrayed as the dirty prostitutes in films like Les mis and the inbetweeners. I feel like that’s how people see me and I’m just inferior.
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah and they’re often portrayed as the dirty prostitutes in films like Les mis and the inbetweeners. I feel like that’s how people see me and I’m just inferior.

yeahhh like john, paul, george and ringo, who tbh sounded more Lancastrian than proper scouse

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending