The Student Room Group

Advice for Graduate Entry Medicine: Help?

Hey guys!! I was hoping to get some advice on applying to graduate entry medicine. A bit about me: I have just graduated from the University of Surrey with a first (79% overall) in biomedical science. I also completed an independent research project during placement year at the University of Okayama in the molecular oncology department, studying biochemical signalling pathways in glioblastoma. Although I really enjoy research and have been offered to do PhD by a few labs, my dream has always been to become a doctor. Clinical pathology and oncology are my main interests, especially because I know a few oncologists that conduct clinical research and practice medicine. My A-Levels and GCSEs were not so good though: ABC in history, chemistry and biology (both AS EPQ and general studies at grade A); 4 As, 8 Bs (A in english literature and science, B in maths and english language). I did shadowing in several departments and I briefly worked for the NHS 111 service. However, based on Warwick’s requirements, I currently aim to take a gap year, get HCA work and volunteer in a hospice or other related environment for at least 7 months, whilst giving me time to prepare for any entrance exams and hopefully fulfill any medical school's work experience-related requirements.
Do you guys think I have a good chance of getting into medical school if I can get the work experience and a decent UKCAT/ GAMSAT score? In terms of UKCAT or GAMSAT-based universities, I don’t know which I should go for. I did apply during placement and got straight rejections from Southampton, King’s and QMUL. I was predicted a first because I had 76% average from my second year of uni, but my UKCAT with lacking preparation was 600 average, letting me down a bit. I am sure I can do better, so any help with entrance tests and general advice on what medical schools would suit me will be greatly appreciated! I am thinking of applying to Warwick, Birmingham, potentially King’s or QMUL again and either Nottingham or St George’s if I do the GAMSAT.

Good luck to anyone applying to GEM currently and in the future!!

(Edited repost from Graduate Entry Medicine starting 2019 thread, due to lack of answers).
Reply 1
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:
Congratulations on your degree results. Yes, once you get the necessary experience and UKCAT/GAMSAT, you can get in. Your GCSE/A-levels are not that bad, but I would say focus more on universities that do not look at those grades e.g Nottingham, Warwick etc. As for UKCAT, with practise, you can improve on your scores. GAMSAT requires more work, but it is still more than do able to get a great result in it. So work hard, get good scores and reapply after getting good experiences and reflecting on them in your personal statement. I wish you all the best.
Original post by Mr Optimist
Congratulations on your degree results. Yes, once you get the necessary experience and UKCAT/GAMSAT, you can get in. Your GCSE/A-levels are not that bad, but I would say focus more on universities that do not look at those grades e.g Nottingham, Warwick etc. As for UKCAT, with practise, you can improve on your scores. GAMSAT requires more work, but it is still more than do able to get a great result in it. So work hard, get good scores and reapply after getting good experiences and reflecting on them in your personal statement. I wish you all the best.

Thank you so much for the advice, it means a lot! I'm applying for HCA jobs at the moment, so I'll be starting to study for the GAMSAT first to prepare for a Nottingham application and then revise for the UKCAT as well for other universities like Warwick, QMUL. Do you think St George's (just down the road from me) or Birmingham would be better for my last choice?
Original post by Romatron
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:

Thank you, I'm really hoping to start medical school after a gap year, so despite my post being relatively early, any advice will help a lot!!
Original post by davidthomasjnr
Thank you so much for the advice, it means a lot! I'm applying for HCA jobs at the moment, so I'll be starting to study for the GAMSAT first to prepare for a Nottingham application and then revise for the UKCAT as well for other universities like Warwick, QMUL. Do you think St George's (just down the road from me) or Birmingham would be better for my last choice?

You're welcome. Your choices of universities are certainly wise. St George is also a good choice. Birmingham is probably best left as the last choice as from my understanding, they do look at non degree grades e.g A-levels etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending