The Student Room Group

Health needs to be prioritised in the UK

....because currently it's not. We all heard the occasional news about obesity spreading across the UK on the television but once the broadcasters go onto the next headline no one seems to care anymore, we as a country are eating too much sugar and the only thing that makes us realise as a collective is the occasional news report.

The UK seriously needs to start prioritising health because it's getting serious. I'm against fat shaming and all the rude talk about a person's body but it is really better if we start caring for citizens' healthy living. Obesity leads to diabetes, heart attacks, and potentially cancer.

Schools don't teach about diabetes or heart attacks, never mind first aid. You only get the occasional non-school uniform day for a charity. I do agree parents deserve some blame though because at the end of the day they should know why their child is eating.

But it's actually sickening how issues like this get less coverage and importance. People are being left to rot in poor health.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Luiz_Fro
....because currently it's not. We all heard the occasional news about obesity spreading across the UK on the television but once the broadcasters go onto the next headline no one seems to care anymore, we as a country are eating too much sugar and the only thing that makes us realise as a collective is the occasional news report.

The UK seriously needs to start prioritising health because it's getting serious. I'm against fat shaming and all the rude talk about a person's body but it is really better if we start caring for citizens' healthy living. Obesity leads to diabetes, heart attacks, and potentially cancer.

Schools don't teach about diabetes or heart attacks, never mind first aid. You only get the occasional non-school uniform day for a charity. I do agree parents deserve some blame though because at the end of the day they should know why their child is eating.

But it's actually sickening how issues like this get less coverage and importance. People are being left to rot in poor health.

We do prioritise health - believe me we do. I work in the NHS and we bang on all the time about eating more healthy foods, doing more exercise etc. The old expression - you can lead a horse to water etc.

Unfortunately, a McDonalds costs 99p. A bag of fruit costs £2.50. If you try to get a child to exercise, the parents wade in and say it is against their human rights.

I work for a screening programme - and where I work, only 30% of people take up the opportunity. When they come to see me in clinic - many are overweight and in poor health. I try hard to get them to alter lifestyles but I get

- oh I am too old to change
- my knees hurt
- I have tried to stop smoking but can't
- what is fibre
- I never check my blood sugar - I just let the clinic do it
- I am depressed and can't cope with change

etc etc etc.

We do need to be coming down harder on people. I told a woman to stop smoking last week because her chest sounded awful. I told a man to stop stuffing his face with junk because it was killing him. In about a months time, I will get feedback from these patients who will say I am abrupt and dictatorial.
Original post by Luiz_Fro
we as a country are eating too much sugar

We as a country aren't eating anything.

People eat differently and can make their own decisions.
Well the government doesn't subsidise farmers, if they did then they could sell the healthy stuff for less than the production value. In the states, and probably here too, they subsidise corn farmers, which goes into all the **** which is deemed, well, ****. That's your cola, McDonalds, and so on.
Reply 4
Original post by TimmonaPortella
We as a country aren't eating anything.

People eat differently and can make their own decisions.

Maybe we are consuming something if obesity is predicted to double in the Uk by 2050. Get off your high horse.
We need to make exercise much much cheaper for a start. I took my children swimming earlier this week. I had to pay for 3 adults because my children are over 12. It cost me £15.00. A parent and child ticket is £7.50, unaffordable for most. I can't afford that on a regular basis so swimming is a rare treat for us. When I was a teenager swimming was 20p and the pool packed every weekend.

I used to climb trees and play in the river. The river is now fenced off and the big trees cut down or fenced off and playing fields have been built on. The council have put up signs on every bit of green space in the parish saying 'no ball games' and 'no cycling' So my kids are being discouraged from exercising from the council. Yet the council run a 'get fit' program for adults!

My childrens primary school reduced pe to just 1 hour a week and removed the break times to gain an extra 40 minuted study time every day. So schools are reducing the time children have to run around and exercise.

So everywhere we turn any access to physical activity is being removed or made prohibitively expensive (£50 per month per child for martial arts) Add to this the fact its cheaper to buy junk food and its a recipe for disaster.

They need to start with schools, exercise should be a minimum of 1 hour every day and thats supervised sport not just having 1 hour pencilled in for lunch hour. Councils should not be allowed to ban ball games or cycling, swimming should be subsidised so its free for under 18s or very cheap. Martial arts/football/cricket etc again should be subsidised or free.

Then seasonal local produce must be sold cheaper than processed foods. Farmers need to be subsidised or encouraged to produce seasonal crops. These are much cheaper to produce than out of season luxury crops like strawberries in December.

I'd actually like to see rationing again and have on several occasions lived on a ration book diet. Despite the large amounts of fat and sugar I lost weight, saved money and found an improvement in my health.
Reply 6
yes sadly, we don't prioritise health - we priorities making money. i realise many of us have never had a full time job, but when you do your free time becomes a luxury. sleep becomes a luxury and so does your mental health. we can't blame the government when it's businesses and employers that demand so much of us and make our health secondary.
Reply 7
Oh boy.... I watch a program reguarly called "GP's behind closed doors on channel 5" a lot of the GPs, not all, but most of them are clearly overweight themselves and yet they have the audacity to tell their patients to lose weight. Around my area every health group meeting like weightwatchers, slimming world etc (I live opposite a venue which is hired out for these events so I see a lot of the people that run these meetings) are most the time overweight. It's very hard for people to take their advice seriously.

If you know what to buy and from where buring so called healthy food actually works out quite cheap. Establishments could also help by providing fruit bowls for their staff - a lot of fruit is quite inexpensive and would be a relatively minor cost for a company to keep topped up. That way perhaps staff would eat less rubbish as a free alternative is provided.

Perhaps age restrictions on crisps chocolate and biscuits like they have done with energy drinks ?

Perhaps schools could run a combined class for kids/parents to teach them about nuritition and not just the theory but actually what to cook and what portion control is, For me I was always fed by my parents and was only able to actually lose weight and "get fit" when I stopped eating their cooking and decided to cook for myself. I wonder how many more people that applies to I am guessing quite a lot - as in my case my parents were clueless about nutrition and always told me I was fine even though I wasn't but in their eyes I was. I was led to believe the diet they had me on was healthy when in all reality it contained a huge amount of calories and saturated fats and little else.

But yes I completely agree with the OP enough is enough and it needs to start with the adults / parents.
Original post by MadamePompadour
We need to make exercise much much cheaper for a start. I took my children swimming earlier this week. I had to pay for 3 adults because my children are over 12. It cost me £15.00. A parent and child ticket is £7.50, unaffordable for most. I can't afford that on a regular basis so swimming is a rare treat for us. When I was a teenager swimming was 20p and the pool packed every weekend.

I used to climb trees and play in the river. The river is now fenced off and the big trees cut down or fenced off and playing fields have been built on. The council have put up signs on every bit of green space in the parish saying 'no ball games' and 'no cycling' So my kids are being discouraged from exercising from the council. Yet the council run a 'get fit' program for adults!

My childrens primary school reduced pe to just 1 hour a week and removed the break times to gain an extra 40 minuted study time every day. So schools are reducing the time children have to run around and exercise.

So everywhere we turn any access to physical activity is being removed or made prohibitively expensive (£50 per month per child for martial arts) Add to this the fact its cheaper to buy junk food and its a recipe for disaster.

They need to start with schools, exercise should be a minimum of 1 hour every day and thats supervised sport not just having 1 hour pencilled in for lunch hour. Councils should not be allowed to ban ball games or cycling, swimming should be subsidised so its free for under 18s or very cheap. Martial arts/football/cricket etc again should be subsidised or free.

Then seasonal local produce must be sold cheaper than processed foods. Farmers need to be subsidised or encouraged to produce seasonal crops. These are much cheaper to produce than out of season luxury crops like strawberries in December.

I'd actually like to see rationing again and have on several occasions lived on a ration book diet. Despite the large amounts of fat and sugar I lost weight, saved money and found an improvement in my health.

A walk costs nothing, parkrun (a free 5k on a Saturday / junior parkrun - a free 2k on a Sunday) costs nothing.
All facts I just realised throughout primary/secondary/sixth form I never once had PSHE day on general health nevermind obesity. It was always sexual health or bullying that was prioritised this is a problem that can be tackled it's not like we don't have the resources.
Reply 10
Original post by Tiger Rag
A walk costs nothing, parkrun (a free 5k on a Saturday / junior parkrun - a free 2k on a Sunday) costs nothing.

Not everybody likes running. Even if I could run without risking an injury (my ankle sprains very easily and the doctor reckons I shouldn't) I wouldn't because I hate it. For many, running is an exercise in public humiliation and very reminiscent of PE lessons.

It's not a helpful suggestion.

I don't like running around streets thanks. I've just checked and my local park doesn't do parkruns only football clubs that you need to pay for. I think you missed the point really. My children want to swim, climb trees, ride bikes, play ball games where we actually live not 8 miles away in a neighbouring town with a park.
I don't like running around streets thanks. I've just checked and my local park doesn't do parkruns only football clubs that you need to pay for. I think you missed the point really. My children want to swim, climb trees, ride bikes, play ball games where we actually live not 8 miles away in a neighbouring town with a park.

It's not done on the streets. It's done in a park usually, hence the name.

I think you missed the point. There's no need for anyone to be spending that much money on keeping fit. We used to take a packed lunch, a frisbee and a football down the park for a few hours.
If someone is a danger to themselves then they should lose certain rights, like the right to autonomy, no idea why fatties get a free pass on this.
Reply 14

I think you missed the point. There's no need for anyone to be spending that much money on keeping fit. We used to take a packed lunch, a frisbee and a football down the park for a few hours.

You know disabilities are a thing right? If I were to go running or playing football, I'd probably end up barely being able to walk for several months. My local authority charges a small fortune for things like swimming. With exercise, policy needs to meet people where they're at. That means offering a wide range of sports and activities for free or for a nominal fee. Some people don't like running. Some people can't run. If that's all that is offered, people will not exercise. I currently do very little exercise. I can't go running. I can't afford the low impact exercise I can do. A monthly membership of my local sports centre is £30. Swimming costs £5 a session. That's really expensive and there aren't discounts for people on low incomes.

Plus running often has a toxic environment and is filled with sporty people. That's not what people need. Even if I could run, I wouldn't because I really don't like constantly being made to feel crap about myself. If your only suggestion is something that the majority of people can't or won't do, then you're missing the point.

I refer you back to my 1st post. My council have banned ball games ( including frisbees) and cycling at the local parks. I would need to get a bus or drive to a neighbouring town to run in a parkrun because there aren't any in my town or take a pic nic and play frisbee/ball games so not free due to travel and parking costs. My only option for free exercise is running around my local streets. This is the case for any of the 50,000 residents.
(edited 5 years ago)
My council have banned ball games ( including frisbees) and cycling at the local parks. I would need to get a bus or drive to a neighbouring town to run in a parkrun because there aren't any in my town or take a pic nic and play frisbee/ball games so not free due to travel and parking costs. My only option for free exercise is running around my local streets. This is the case for any of the 50,000 residents.

Why can't you run around your local park if they've only banned cycling and ball games?
Original post by the beer
Why can't you run around your local park if they've only banned cycling and ball games?

I dont like running, in fact I positively hate it. Why should I have to put up with just running when I have bicycles, I have footballs, I love swimming, playing netball, climbing trees etc. Why should all of my choices be removed and I be left with just 1 choice of running around a field (which is what the half a football pitch masquerading as a park is) or the local streets? The point is that 10 years ago I could do all of those things for free or for very little money, now Ive had all the activities we like to do as a family removed or increased hugely in price so theyre now prohibitive. How does that help prevent a nations health crisis? It doesnt, it just keeps rich people living longer because they have access to ANY activity they please to stay fit and they can afford good quality foods. It means poor people suffer more because what were free activities or cheap activities are now prohibitively expensive along with good quality cheap food. The day to day issues poorer sections of society have to face cannot be fixed by someone like you saying 'just go for a run in the park'. You need to take a good long look at what it really means to be poor and why they cannot access good food and sports/activity provision. Your way of thinking; anyone poor just go for a run in a park because that will sort you out, if youre rich go swimming, cycling, bowling, football, skating, climbing etc
I dont like running, in fact I positively hate it. Why should I have to put up with just running when I have bicycles, I have footballs, I love swimming, playing netball, climbing trees etc. Why should all of my choices be removed and I be left with just 1 choice of running around a field (which is what the half a football pitch masquerading as a park is) or the local streets? The point is that 10 years ago I could do all of those things for free or for very little money, now Ive had all the activities we like to do as a family removed or increased hugely in price so theyre now prohibitive. How does that help prevent a nations health crisis? It doesnt, it just keeps rich people living longer because they have access to ANY activity they please to stay fit and they can afford good quality foods. It means poor people suffer more because what were free activities or cheap activities are now prohibitively expensive along with good quality cheap food. The day to day issues poorer sections of society have to face cannot be fixed by someone like you saying 'just go for a run in the park'. You need to take a good long look at what it really means to be poor and why they cannot access good food and sports/activity provision. Your way of thinking; anyone poor just go for a run in a park because that will sort you out, if youre rich go swimming, cycling, bowling, football, skating, climbing etc

Right, i was just confused because you said you would have to go to a neighbouring town to do a park run and your only option was to run on the street, why did you feel the need for dishonesty?
(edited 5 years ago)

I get what you are saying, but ultimately, we all have to make the best of what we have. We weren’t well off so we just used to pack sandwiches up and spend the whole day in the park during school holidays. As a pensioner at 70, money isn’t in abundance but I go out walking every day, get my fruit and veg down the market when they are about to close, got a slow cooker in the charity shop and can get cheap cuts of meat to cook in it. Bit of imagination is all that’s needed.

Quick Reply

Latest