NZVENS
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi everyone,

Can anyone please let me know what the difference is between a consultant and a honorary consultant? I am a PhD holder and thinking to apply for graduate entry medicine in the UK. Since I already have PhD, do I have a different route (shorter) to become a consultant? My PhD is in haematology.
realtimme
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There is no shorter route, you’ll have to complete a 4/5/6 yr course then complete speciality training which can take another 7 yrs

You will however get EPM points because of your PhD when applying to the Foundation Programme
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by NZVENS)
Hi everyone,

Can anyone please let me know what the difference is between a consultant and a honorary consultant? I am a PhD holder and thinking to apply for graduate entry medicine in the UK. Since I already have PhD, do I have a different route (shorter) to become a consultant? My PhD is in haematology.
As said, there is no way for a "guarantee" shorter route. GEM is one year shorter than undergrad med, and for your PhD you get more points in specialty application so you are less likely to be stranded in training.

2 years Foundation Training, 2 years Core Training, 5 years Specialty Training for most medical / surgical specialties as usual.
Magendie
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by NZVENS)
Hi everyone,

Honorary consultants are employed by universities and are usually clinical academics.

Consultants are employed by hospitals.

Both will have CCT in their chosen speciality

You do not have a quicker route to CCT once you finish medical school
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (113)
27.7%
England (141)
34.56%
Belgium (31)
7.6%
Germany (41)
10.05%
Spain (9)
2.21%