My firm has accepted me but I want to go to my insurance

Watch
noey123
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
hey guys

so I completed my access course and I have gotten my results (i'm doing Adult nursing)

I put London South bank university as my firm and Kings college London as my insurance. The only reason I did this is because I didn't want to get my hopes too high and I didn't think I would get into Kings

Anyway I have sent my results to Kings and I have not met the conditions of my offer however, they said that they are willing to consider me and are just waiting until results day to see if there are available spaces

Now if there is space and Kings accept me i 100 percent want to go there. However my place at my firm is confirmed but it's not updated on Track. I just don't know how to go about this.

my questions are:

can I make Kings my firm and Southbank my insurance?

if I do this and Kings tell me there are no spaces, what can I do then? can I go back to my original firm choice? would it be possible that Southbank won't let me back in because I tried to leave them for another uni??

I'm so confused, any help would be appreciated

Thank you xx
howitoughttobe
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by noey123)
hey guys

so I completed my access course and I have gotten my results (i'm doing Adult nursing)

I put London South bank university as my firm and Kings college London as my insurance. The only reason I did this is because I didn't want to get my hopes too high and I didn't think I would get into Kings

Anyway I have sent my results to Kings and I have not met the conditions of my offer however, they said that they are willing to consider me and are just waiting until results day to see if there are available spaces

Now if there is space and Kings accept me i 100 percent want to go there. However my place at my firm is confirmed but it's not updated on Track. I just don't know how to go about this.

my questions are:

if I do this and Kings tell me there are no spaces, what can I do then? can I go back to my original firm choice? would it be possible that Southbank won't let me back in because I tried to leave them for another uni??

Thank you xx
I don't know about switching your choices around but the whole point of an insurance choice is as a backup if you don't meet the requirements for your firm choice. If you'd put Kings as your firm and Southbank as your insurance then you would definitely have got a place at Southbank had you met their requirements and not Kings' requirements. Without sounding harsh, putting Southbank as your firm because you weren't sure if you'd meet the requirements for Kings was stupid as that's literally why you have an insurance choice. You can try asking to switch the two around but I don't think it'd be allowed as you've already accepted your offer from Southbank and agreed to study there if you meet their offer, which you have.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
hey guys

my questions are:

Thank you xx
Your insurance no longer exists since you met your firm offer ,you can go into clearing and risk if they ll accept you but you ve no guarantees that you d get back into Southbank if you get them to out you into clearing.
bekahw96
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I had to do something similar - here's how you do it.

When you're sure you don't want to accept Southbank, phone and email them saying you'd like to be released from the offer (phone gets their attention, but has to have an email for written proof, so email first). Then, if King's send you an offer, you can accept it.

When you're released from Southbank, they won't be your insurance - King's will be your only choice at that point. So, make sure you have been (verbally or written) offered a place at King's before you do this!

Best of luck, feel free to rely if you have any questions
noey123
Rep:
?
the thing is I haven't even met south bank requirements anyway. Don't you need to accept your firm on track?
(Original post by howitoughttobe)
I don't know about switching your choices around but the whole point of an insurance choice is as a backup if you don't meet the requirements for your firm choice. If you'd put Kings as your firm and Southbank as your insurance then you would definitely have got a place at Southbank had you met their requirements and not Kings' requirements. Without sounding harsh, putting Southbank as your firm because you weren't sure if you'd meet the requirements for Kings was stupid as that's literally why you have an insurance choice. You can try asking to switch the two around but I don't think it'd be allowed as you've already accepted your offer from Southbank and agreed to study there if you meet their offer, which you have.
howitoughttobe
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
the thing is I haven't even met south bank requirements anyway. Don't you need to accept your firm on track?
Putting Southbank as your firm was accepting the offer, what have Southbank said about you not meeting their offer? Are they still letting you have a place or have they rejected you?
noey123
Rep:
?
I haven't met the requirements of South bank. they accepted me but its not updated on track. can I still at this point swap my choices around and still have my place at south bank inc ase kings don't accept me.

kings are still willing to consider me despite the fact that I haven't met the conditions of their offer and on top of that they were my insurance.

(Original post by claireestelle)
Your insurance no longer exists since you met your firm offer ,you can go into clearing and risk if they ll accept you but you ve no guarantees that you d get back into Southbank if you get them to out you into clearing.
noey123
Rep:
?
(Original post by howitoughttobe)
Putting Southbank as your firm was accepting the offer, what have Southbank said about you not meeting their offer? Are they still letting you have a place or have they rejected you?
they gave me place but it's not updated on track. I just want to know whether I can swap my choices and still keep my place at south bank in case they aren't spaces at Kings
noey123
Rep:
?
Hi thanks for the reply
i'm scared Kings would reject me because i'm sure they can see that South bank have let me in? can they still give me an offer anyway despite all this?
(Original post by bekahw96)
I had to do something similar - here's how you do it.

When you're sure you don't want to accept Southbank, phone and email them saying you'd like to be released from the offer (phone gets their attention, but has to have an email for written proof, so email first). Then, if King's send you an offer, you can accept it.

When you're released from Southbank, they won't be your insurance - King's will be your only choice at that point. So, make sure you have been (verbally or written) offered a place at King's before you do this!

Best of luck, feel free to rely if you have any questions
howitoughttobe
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
they gave me place but it's not updated on track. I just want to know whether I can swap my choices and still keep my place at south bank in case they aren't spaces at Kings
You can speak to UCAS and try but I'm pretty sure it's too late. You made your choice when you put Southbank as your firm and I think they'll say you have to stick with it. If they do let you reject Southbank you may have to reject it for definite and if you don't get the place at Kings then you'll have to go through clearing.
bekahw96
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi thanks for the reply
i'm scared Kings would reject me because i'm sure they can see that South bank have let me in? can they still give me an offer anyway despite all this?
If you apply to them through clearing/adjustment, it shouldn't matter to them if you have an offer. I'm not even sure if they can see that information anyway!

Yes, they can still give you an offer

Edit: I had an offer from QMoL. I asked to be released from this when I received a verbal clearing offer from Uni of Southampton. It all worked out fine!
noey123
Rep:
?
If you apply to them through clearing/adjustment, it shouldn't matter to them if you have an offer. I'm not even sure if they can see that information anyway!

Yes, they can still give you an offer

Edit: I had an offer from QMoL. I asked to be released from this when I received a verbal clearing offer from Uni of Southampton. It all worked out fine!
thanks for the reply again

was Southhampton your insurance?
bekahw96
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
thanks for the reply again

was Southampton your insurance?
It wasn't, however they'd given me a conditional offer months before, that I turned down for silly reasons. So, they didn't even mind that I hadn't put them down as either choice!

When it comes to Clearing, UCAS rules don't seem to apply in the same way. When you get your results, see if any Uni you want to go to has places on your course. Then just call them (most have a Clearing hotline) and see if they'll take you. It's easier & more common than you'd think
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
please tell me this isn't a serious thread. you have to be a troll
noey123
Rep:
?
Oh okay. That puts my mind at ease! Good luck to me lol

thank you! x
It wasn't, however they'd given me a conditional offer months before, that I turned down for silly reasons. So, they didn't even mind that I hadn't put them down as either choice!
bekahw96
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by CollectiveSoul)
please tell me this isn't a serious thread. you have to be a troll
This is a completely reasonable thread... are you the troll?
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This is a completely reasonable thread... are you the troll?
there's a whole point to having a firm and an insurance option...and this guy has made his "firm" as his insurance and his "insurance" as his firm...crazy
noey123
Rep:
?
there's a whole point to having a firm and an insurance option...and this guy has made his "firm" as his insurance and his "insurance" as his firm...crazy
correction: this girl!

anyway I didn't know I would want to go to kings up until now. Another important factor that was holding me back from going to Kings was the distance and how far the placements would be from my place and of course other factors played into my decision

But obviously that's not going to be an issue for me now . I get why people would think what I did was stupid but I really thought it was the right decision at the time. Now I know its not!

But whatever, what's done is done and it's just a waiting game for me.
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
correction: this girl!

anyway I didn't know I would want to go to kings up until now. Another important factor that was holding me back from going to Kings was the distance and how far the placements would be from my place and of course other factors played into my decision

But obviously that's not going to be an issue for me now . I get why people would think what I did was stupid but I really thought it was the right decision at the time. Now I know its not!

But whatever, what's done is done and it's just a waiting game for me.
your placement being far away is actually an issue. when i get home from work at 18:15 i feel content all evening, when i get home at 19:15 i feel a bit miserable all evening, makes all the difference
noey123
Rep:
?
your placement being far away is actually an issue. when i get home from work at 18:15 i feel content all evening, when i get home at 19:15 i feel a bit miserable all evening, makes all the difference
Yeah exactly. I live closer to Kings now thats why I really want to get in. it would make all the difference
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (99)
13.58%
I'm not sure (32)
4.39%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (230)
31.55%
I have already dropped out (17)
2.33%
I'm not a current university student (351)
48.15%

Watched Threads