Where Students who turn down Cambridge University end up Watch

This discussion is closed.
sureofit
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
Out of interest are the offer grades much different for you?
Sadly not, probably why I’m so stressed now before results day!

Cambridge is A*AA in any subjects, and St A’s is AAA.... not much wriggle room!
(Also quite annoying neither [/any of my original 5 choices] care about EPQ!)
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Ah I see! My mistake, I hadn't looked at the breakdown. I thought you were commenting on the universities themselves not the courses being "rejected". Doh!

:getmecoat:
Well I'm just interested to see how much of this is related to general "esteem" really. If I just had the list of universities I'd be guessing that at least a couple of Durham's may be history for instance, or that most of the people who preferred Durham to Cambridge did so for courses in the Humanities general area. Similar with Imperial and the sciences, plus Cambridge rejections for Warwick I might guess were for Maths or other science-y courses.

You'd obviously need several years to form a pattern but Manchester is the outlier to me. To my knowledge there are no particular courses that they are completely outstanding at, to a level that could compete with Oxford or Cambridge. My cousin did business management there and is now living in Dubai, so I know it's not shabby by any stretch.

I know there'll be a few things like local students choosing to save money by living at home, and everyone's reason is personal so I'm not going to read huge amounts into tiny numbers (because these are tiny), but when I rule out the universities who in my mind compete quite fiercely with Camford for certain courses, I'm left looking at Manchester, and a list of individuals after that.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by sureofit)
Sadly not, probably why I’m so stressed now before results day!

Cambridge is A*AA in any subjects, and St A’s is AAA.... not much wriggle room!
(Also quite annoying neither [/any of my original 5 choices] care about EPQ!)
Schools tell you that EPQs are good for applications in order to persuade you to do it. And the students fall for it every time.

On a serious note, it does help you sharpen your academic interests a little though, which is good for producing a convincing personal statement.

And believe me from experience, EPQ pays off most once you arrive at university, not before.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I know there'll be a few things like local students choosing to save money by living at home, and everyone's reason is personal so I'm not going to read huge amounts into tiny numbers (because these are tiny), but when I rule out the universities who in my mind compete quite fiercely with Camford for certain courses, I'm left looking at Manchester, and a list of individuals after that.
It's a massive university, so the relative numbers will be higher, and I bet you're right about some wanting to stay more local.

Also, it would have been interesting to see the number of UK offer holders rejecting for specific US or international universities.
sureofit
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Schools tell you that EPQs are good for applications in order to persuade you to do it. And the students fall for it every time.

On a serious note, it does help you sharpen your academic interests a little though, which is good for producing a convincing personal statement.

And believe me from experience, EPQ pays off most once you arrive at university, not before.
Yeah, at my SF anyone who got 8 A*/As had to do one. After spending ~40 hours on the entire thing (planning and writing, preparing my PowerPoint and whatever other rituals) I realised it was a waste of time! But 27/30 people in the EPQ cohort got a reduced offer from other non-RG unis so...

(Hopefully the fact I got 3 off full marks with minimal effort bodes well for my exams, which I did make a big effort in 😅)
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Bath does give a 1 grade benefit off your offer if you have an A in your EPQ.
MadamePompadour
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My cousin turned down Cambridge for Bath. He just felt Bath was more his scene and the few he met at Cambridge doing his subject were 'stuffy' in his opinion.

My daughter has always wanted to go to Oxford. Did the whole summer school thing and several open days. Shes now thinking its not the university for her and she's looking at Warwick instead. It just doesn't feel right for her apparently.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Bath does give a 1 grade benefit off your offer if you have an A in your EPQ.
As did Newcastle for me last year. But what it gives you in terms of skills for university study is worth more than a one-grade lower offer imo.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MadamePompadour)
My cousin turned down Cambridge for Bath. He just felt Bath was more his scene and the few he met at Cambridge doing his subject were 'stuffy' in his opinion.

My daughter has always wanted to go to Oxford. Did the whole summer school thing and several open days. Shes now thinking its not the university for her and she's looking at Warwick instead. It just doesn't feel right for her apparently.
Absolutely right. When it comes round to rejection time for lots of people each year (:sad:) I often say that it's not about a candidate "not being good enough" but more that Oxford or Cambridge isn't the right fit for them. These places are an acquired taste and not for everyone. Though personally I'd always value course content over atmosphere when deciding where to apply.
nts24
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Does these stats include Postgraduate application?
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nts24)
Does these stats include Postgraduate application?
Only for Graduate Entry Medicine. They are for undergraduate courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
okurr123
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Only for Graduate Entry Medicine. They are for undergraduate courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It’s a bit off topic but do you/did you go to Oxbridge by any chance? You seem to know a lot about both unis, from seeing your posts on TSR. Or are you an admin here?
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by okurr123)
It’s a bit off topic but do you/did you go to Oxbridge by any chance? You seem to know a lot about both unis, from seeing your posts on TSR. Or are you an admin here?
I'm a parent of a Cambridge student. And a Section Leader in TSRs volunteer team
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Possibly an organ scholar.
You don't get multiple offers as an organ scholar.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
You don't get multiple offers as an organ scholar.
Do they decide between them who will be making the offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
e^iπ
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Edinburgh?

Although I expect a fair number of those choosing Scottish universities may be Scottish and looking at the fees.
Why would they apply to Cambridge (or any other English uni for that matter) in the first place if this were the case.
FloralHybrid
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by e^iπ)
Why would they apply to Cambridge (or any other English uni for that matter) in the first place if this were the case.
You can see if you’ve gotten a place at a Uni before weighing up the cos and pros in terms of cost. Maybe their financial situation changed. 🤷🏻*♀️
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by e^iπ)
(Original post by FloralHybrid)
You can see if you’ve gotten a place at a Uni before weighing up the cos and pros in terms of cost. Maybe their financial situation changed. 🤷🏻*♀️
^this.

And we are talking tiny numbers.
e^iπ
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
^this.

And we are talking tiny numbers.
Still surprising though,

Student loans aren't really loans any more are they, there is a conception that student loans and maintenance loans are free money nowadays
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do they decide between them who will be making the offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes.

There is apparently a high level of co-operation to ensure the choral foundations are properly staffed and that the less attractive positions are filled.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (150)
24.79%
Pop (146)
24.13%
Jazz (26)
4.3%
Classical (35)
5.79%
Hip-Hop (106)
17.52%