Where Students who turn down Cambridge University end up Watch

This discussion is closed.
Devinky
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by sureofit)
Gosh! Are you happy with what you ended up doing?
Well I ended up doing an undergrad in my home country (will be starting Year 3 this fall) and will try to get into grad school so hopefully things get better this time
Moura
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by sureofit)
As an interesting aside, I firmed my Cambridge offer for this year. My insurance is St Andrews. Except I genuinely prefer St A’s in terms of course and city.... 🤔

But I’d be very happy to go to either, so 😊
Then why didn'y you choose it? Surely you are just letting the opinions of others influence your own path? It's an acheivement to get into Cambridge or Oxford, they think you fit the mould that they are looking for. However, if you feel differently you should go to the one you prefer!
sureofit
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Possibly.

I come from a state school in the North, who in their 54 year history has never had someone with an Oxbridge offer (despite people applying). So although I got lots of support from my great teachers, I was just ‘giving it a go’ without much hope of an interview, yet alone an offer. I spent the weeks leading up to the 10th of January convincing myself I hadn’t got an offer and falling more and more in love with St Andrews, who’d already given me an offer.

When I did get my conditional offer, I was shocked. Took me until late May to decide. Nobody could fathom I’d reject Cambridge. The consensus is that you’re in a better position for jobs/opportunities because of Oxbridge, so I firmed it. My view is if I’m destined to go there, it’ll be decided on results day

TLDR; I firmed Cambridge instead of St A’s because of reputation and career aspirations. Happy with either (massively worried I’ve got into none though!)
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by auburnstar)
I guess you could say they're organised

:getmecoat:
Have a pity rep! :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
JoeTSR
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by C_Richards99)
Cambridge's Medicine department and Biological Sciences department are two different entities.

If they applied for Medicine at Edinburgh, it would register in the Medicine department, not the Biological Sciences.
4 choices + 1 for medics/vets/dentists. Could've picked e.g. Cambridge biology/biomed as their 5th choice, but then ended up getting offers from other unis for med/vet/dentistry.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JoeTSR)
4 choices + 1 for medics/vets/dentists. Could've picked e.g. Cambridge biology/biomed as their 5th choice, but then ended up getting offers from other unis for med/vet/dentistry.
Cambridge doesn't have a biomedical/biology (or dentistry) course - they do have Natural Sciences though, but you're unlikely to get a NatSci offer with a medicine personal statement.
auburnstar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
I am afraid it can come as a shock that the world does not share the obsessions of TSR. Counselling is available.
#roasted

In seriousness though, people do sometimes make choices that don't go within the norm or what is expected of them. For some people, family, money considerations or opportunities (career, internship, apprenticeship) are bigger priorities than going to a particular university. The same can be said for other things society values (like people preferring the lower-paying job because they like it more).

It's sometimes hard for people who have different priorities to understand. TSR is essentially its own microcosm of students who are academically-minded, so not pursuing the academic option sticks out as unusual. The inverse would probably be true of a person going to university from a family/culture where no one has ever gone to university/has only done apprenticeships or gone to work.

I do know of a few people who have dropped out of university to pursue a career where a degree isn't de-facto required and they're very happy so far with their career. I also know people who went to university who really wanted to do something else (music performance in this case) but were pushed (and later became a musician anyway).

It's substantially better to do something you enjoy and take the less common path than to do something other people expect you to do and be miserable. If your dreams involve a specific university, awesome. If they don't, that's fine as well. :yep:
black1blade
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Cambridge doesn't have a biomedical/biology (or dentistry) course - they do have Natural Sciences though, but you're unlikely to get a NatSci offer with a medicine personal statement.
Not impossible tho, know someone with a dentistry ps who got a horrific phys natsci offer XD.
SomMC1
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The people who went to Southampton, Exeter, Leeds, Keele, etc instead of Cambridge is most definitely because they had hugely inflated A level predictions and somehow got an interview and an offer. They know they could not complete it so they act tough & cool by declining it. Getting pretty much all inflated A*s predictions and then ending with ABBB is nothing to be proud of lmao
H7dh
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by akbar0123)
Why would anyone turn down Cambridge to go to Keele?
Sorry what's wrong with Keele? I did my undergraduate degree in law there, and went onto do my master's in law at Cambridge. Both very good universities.
Hroar
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Imperials BE is a great program but remember there are people who are offered to go to Harvard who turn it down for Cambridge and there are people who are offered Cambridge who turn it down for a poly (MIT)
rz018
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A lot of students get very ill studying at Oxbridge. Considering the declining value of a degree it makes sense to put your health first.
NHSFan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by black1blade)
Not impossible tho, know someone with a dentistry ps who got a horrific phys natsci offer XD.
I also recall someone getting an Oxford history offer with a medicine PS a few years ago. I believe they accepted the Oxford offer, presumably with a plan to do GEM when they graduated. I can see Oxford interviewing them out of interest if nothing else and were clearly impressed with them.
Hroar
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by rz018)
A lot of students get very ill studying at Oxbridge. Considering the declining value of a degree it makes sense to put your health first.
This means it very tough? No, it means there is sickness. Even people who train to be astronaut dont boast about getting ill. It is sign of weak program if students feel like this.
Princepieman
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SomMC1)
The people who went to Southampton, Exeter, Leeds, Keele, etc instead of Cambridge is most definitely because they had hugely inflated A level predictions and somehow got an interview and an offer. They know they could not complete it so they act tough & cool by declining it. Getting pretty much all inflated A*s predictions and then ending with ABBB is nothing to be proud of lmao
Erm, Keele is really the only shocker in that list. There are tonnes of high achievers in each of those other universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by akbar0123)
Why would anyone turn down Cambridge to go to Keele?
When they're going to miss their offer.
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Princepieman)
Erm, Keele is really the only shocker in that list. There are tonnes of high achievers in each of those other universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(Original post by Notoriety)
When they're going to miss their offer.
The Keele applicant has participated in this thread. Keele was their insurance offer and they missed their firm after turning down Cambridge.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The Keele applicant has participated in this thread. Keele was their insurance offer and they missed their firm after turning down Cambridge.
And?
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
And?
They didn't turn down their Cambridge offer for Keele. It is a quirk of how the data is presented.
e^iπ
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Waste if an offer if you ask me.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (183)
23.83%
Pop (187)
24.35%
Jazz (30)
3.91%
Classical (46)
5.99%
Hip-Hop (145)
18.88%